ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2014, 09:58 AM   #1
The Island OP
Im lost.
 
The Island's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Clayburn, B.C.
Oddometer: 219
Crossing the border to ship while in the USA

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience in crossing into the USA to ship packages?

I live 2 minutes away and I have a HUGE package of motorcycle parts (panniers and rack) to ship. I am not selling them in the USA as the transaction happened over the net but, just crossing into the good'ol US of A to take advantage of extremely low shipping rates.

When I cross the border, they alway ask me, "are you leaving anything behind, are you shipping anything?" and I never am but I wonder if I have to pay some sort of shipping tax if I actually AM shipping something within their country, haha.

Any wisdom would be great! Thanks.
The Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #2
pelvis_98
Havin A Time
 
pelvis_98's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Oxford Station, Ontario
Oddometer: 1,956
I personally dont have any experience with it. but..

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932931
pelvis_98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:41 AM   #3
The Island OP
Im lost.
 
The Island's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Clayburn, B.C.
Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelvis_98 View Post
I personally dont have any experience with it. but..

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932931
Oh wonderful. The exact info I was looking for. Thanks!
The Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:05 AM   #4
H96669
A proud pragmatist.
 
H96669's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Hiding off Hwy 6, B.C.
Oddometer: 4,412
Glad I could dig up the info back then. I was in the same position with the HUGE parcel, couldn't even ship that "size" from Canada without breaking it into 2 parcels. And I sure was glad the US postal outlet lent me a cart if just to bring it inside.

Even had to cut the size down mailing from the US....extra 1" somewhere and I was slightly over the shipping quote. That 1" added another $15-20.00 in shipping fees.
__________________
Have tools, will travel!
H96669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
The Island OP
Im lost.
 
The Island's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Clayburn, B.C.
Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
Glad I could dig up the info back then. I was in the same position with the HUGE parcel, couldn't even ship that "size" from Canada without breaking it into 2 parcels. And I sure was glad the US postal outlet lent me a cart if just to bring it inside.

Even had to cut the size down mailing from the US....extra 1" somewhere and I was slightly over the shipping quote. That 1" added another $15-20.00 in shipping fees.
Info was great. Went off without a hitch. Brought those things through like a champ. They were surprised as to how I got that form though as I think they are probably used to people not having the necessary paperwork. I would have been in that boat. They looked through my stuff but didn't even open the package.

Thanks - All the best!
The Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:10 AM   #6
H96669
A proud pragmatist.
 
H96669's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Hiding off Hwy 6, B.C.
Oddometer: 4,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Island View Post
Info was great. Went off without a hitch. Brought those things through like a champ. They were surprised as to how I got that form though as I think they are probably used to people not having the necessary paperwork. I would have been in that boat. They looked through my stuff but didn't even open the package.

Thanks - All the best!
They are the ones who told me the form was available online.I will be quicker next time.

Darn paperwork, I almost felt sorry for the family crossing at the same time.They came in just after me, filled up the rather small office in Patterson and she sure had a lot of paperwork in her hands.
__________________
Have tools, will travel!
H96669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014