Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2014, 01:11 AM   #1606
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Hi all.
Nothing to report. Absolutely nothing - really!

Well actually there is. I was faced with the opportunity to ride Schmidtty down to Queenstown to see the aforementioned Lynard Skynard. I didn't want to.

I mean the thought of riding all day there & then doing the same back put me off.

What is happening? Have I completely lost my mojo?

I know I've been struggling with the coldness I feel while riding - even in the middle of summer. I had made my mind up to make a heated jacket.but can't be arsed getting it started.

Will my mojo return? i usually have a 7year obsession with sports/ occupations before they start to wan & wondering if it's that? Anyone else get like that about riding?
Gotta have mojo to start with

Well I went through a similar phase this last winter.
Used motorbikes as my only mode of transport for 7 years and then decided the winters here are certainly colder than those up Tauranga and were just getting that bit unpleasant.
Even heated gear struggles at (-5'c plus 100km/h equals) FOOOOOOKIN COLD.

So I brought a Hilux, started commuting in it through the winter and spring.
Then I noticed how nice the days were and how slow traffic was and what the hell am I doing stuck in this boring slow truck?

Boom, back on the bike and loving it!

My XT225 Build
Te Hopo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:19 AM   #1607
Oaters
Aslan

Oddometer: 372
Wink

Quote:
Hi all.
Nothing to report. Absolutely nothing -
Will my mojo return? i usually have a 7year obsession with sports/ occupations before they start to wan & wondering if it's that? Anyone else get like that about riding?
Padders - I'm not sure I can express clearly / eloquently - my experience for what it's worth is that we go through seasons in our lives - for me in year 2 of SuperGold Card status it's the realisation that I'll probably never do the Coast to Coast again or paddle my sea kayak in big seas or ride off road with men 20+ years younger than me in the belief that I'm Peter Pan and invincible

For me ridng gravel and roads like the Old Dunstan Road or the Nevis brings a huge sense of the vital nature of life to me - increasingly I realise that the pipe n slippers R1200GS is me - subjective I know - but works for me :)
Oaters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:14 AM   #1608
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,518
Quote:
Hi all.

Well actually there is. I was faced with the opportunity to ride Schmidtty down to Queenstown to see the aforementioned Lynard Skynard. I didn't want to.

I mean the thought of riding all day there & then doing the same back put me off.

I know I've been struggling with the coldness I feel while riding - even in the middle of summer. I had made my mind up to make a heated jacket.but can't be arsed getting it started.

yup - I'll soon find out if it can be cured by more hp or not.

Everything ebbs and flows. I've recently rediscovered pushbikes and am enjoying riding those more than dirt bikes at the moment - but I'll swing back the other way eventually.

What's wrong with keeping smidt (or an SV) to go for a couple of hour ride once or twice a month?

Or laying it up until you get the urge again.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:00 AM   #1609
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 700
Yup..............................
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:00 AM   #1610
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,224
After my accident I experience days where I think I'd be more than happy to never ride on the road again and just stick to messin around on my trials bike. Other days I really miss that I can't just jump on my bike and disappear from the madness for a few hours. It maybe that some of my mojo was knocked out of me in the crash? will it ever return?

It doesn't have to be the end because life has changed. Embrace your new mojo, take the car if its more comfortable, ride when you want to not because you have to, try new things, buy a new bike - make it a KTM, In the words of the old song..... climb every mountain, ford every stream, follow every rainbow until you find your dreams

Old 02-19-2014, 09:51 AM   #1611
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
ford every stream, follow every rainbow until you find your dreams
That would be somewhere near Hamner, then.

I have to admit that my riding has changed a bit. I take fewer risks and don't feel the need to hunt down sportsbikes in the twisties anymore. Also, I don't feel the need to buy a new bike anymore. I always thought I'd get a new GS roundabout now.

And like Te Hopo, I have bought a Hilux after commuting on the bike for seven years and I will be using it during the winter and maybe spring. Life is too short do keep doing stuff you don't really like doing. Just go with what feels right.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:29 PM   #1612
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 6,999
I don't like the thought of long rides.

The rides themselves are great fun.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:20 AM   #1613
ztaj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
It maybe that some of my mojo was knocked out of me in the crash? will it ever return?

It doesn't have to be the end because life has changed. Embrace your new mojo, take the car if its more comfortable, ride when you want to not because you have to, try new things, buy a new bike - make it a Newer BMW
I certainly left my mojo in the Molesworth It took about 9 months or so to start coming back, I'm still not where I was on gravel though But i'm good with that, I just ride by myself so I don't hold anyone up

Quote:
Hi all.

Nah.... It'll come back
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:42 PM   #1614
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 6,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztaj View Post
I certainly left my mojo in the Molesworth It took about 9 months or so to start coming back, I'm still not where I was on gravel though But i'm good with that, I just ride by myself so I don't hold anyone up

Nah.... It'll come back
You're also on an expensive BMW and not a DR(3/6/7)50 anymore...
Old 02-28-2014, 12:36 AM   #1615
ztaj
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
You're also on an expensive BMW and not a DR(3/6/7)50 anymore...
Maybe
Old 02-28-2014, 01:40 AM   #1616
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,518
Quote:
Maybe

you'd better eeeelaborate on that just a tad....
Old 03-03-2014, 12:55 AM   #1617
ztaj
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
you'd better eeeelaborate on that just a tad....
Nothing much to say... The bikes worth a leeeetle bit more than the the other 3 and I don't want to go chucking it over a bank or into a ditch.

I was thinking more about things tonight when I was riding around. Also, the fact I'm by myself, and generally, nobody knows I'm out riding or where I am means I don't want to do anything toooo silly Hell even I don't know where I am sometimes
Old 03-03-2014, 10:46 AM   #1618
Padmei OP
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,152
Quote:
I was thinking more about things tonight when I was riding around. Also, the fact I'm by myself, and generally, nobody knows I'm out riding or where I am means I don't want to do anything toooo silly Hell even I don't know where I am sometimes
Yes I always think again when I head off the highway to somewhere like Mt Duppa on the spur of the moment - we should all be networked to a spot like device.

i think Marks may have been thinking you may have got a new bike with your previous post (or not- I did)
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:08 AM   #1619
Logmaker
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hello ztaj always carry a PLB when riding or working alone , especially when mobile coverage is suspect . Cheers M.
Logmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:44 PM   #1620
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,350
Excuse me polluting your thread (not usually seen in here) but if anyone knows of a R80/100 GS for sale, I'm after one.

To comment on the lost Mojo thing; sometimes activities / interests have their season and then we are done and sometimes we just over do them and need a break. I have taken a year or two off bikes when the kids were little and after a big crash, it's always been hard to part with stuff you have / had a strong attachment too but life is a changing affair, we don't remain static.

My advice is to leave the activity for 3 or 6 months then decide if you want to get back into it or sell up, selling up is just stuff, allows you to do something different next time.

Good luck!