Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #1
oldtrout OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Access ... Stand your ground, or no issue ??

My BOL sent me this link.

At first moments I was truly pissed, but after a few deep breaths, I realize there is no issue.

This has been through the courts before. Access must be granted. Just like foreshore rights.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle16919365/
Old 02-18-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
Shirker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
The rich generally get their way, just ask Mr Chip Wilson. He and Mayor Gregsie have turned their section of Vancouver into a semi-private reserve, with through travel prohibited and bicycle lanes having priority for them to get to work.
That English Lord who deliberately built across a centuries old footpath got away with it.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:16 PM   #3
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,296
Interesting story....out here it is the dirt bikers/mudboggers causing problems on the lakeshore.Against the law but no enforcement. They even burned the signs....

But this link is also on the Globe and Mail webpage:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle8878461/

I really can't stand them yahoos on Jetskis and I can bet the naked Vancouverites wouldn't like them around ogling.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:38 PM   #4
Pedersoli
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrout View Post
My BOL sent me this link.

At first moments I was truly pissed, but after a few deep breaths, I realize there is no issue.

This has been through the courts before. Access must be granted. Just like foreshore rights.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle16919365/
Well they can't stop you from flying in on a float plane, or a ski equipped plane in the winter. The concept of this clown owning a lake is over the top.
Pedersoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:53 AM   #5
CallMeBoog
Done

Oddometer: 5,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedersoli View Post
Well they can't stop you from flying in on a float plane, or a ski equipped plane in the winter. The concept of this clown owning a lake is over the top.
Agreed. You can't own a lake - there are laws.

I know here in NS, a private landowner can NOT restrict someone from accessing a body of water, shore, or waterway on or via their property on foot for the purposes of angling. You see a brook running through a farmer's field? You can fish from it. Of course, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that you get more bees with honey, and it doesn't hurt to knock on a door, or wave and ask friendly - you often get a tip on a good spot. I've met more interesting people fishing from their land, than I have fishing in public areas. Sometimes, you get a "well shit, sounds like a good Idea, I'll join you - what kinda beer do ya like?"

Also, there's shoreline access. I think it's 4 feet above the high tide mark is free for anyone to roam on, on foot for any purpose. it really pisses off the mucky mucks in their million dollar homes with iron gates and hired help to see you barefoot walking across 'their' shore.

Nobody owns the lakes, and nobody owns the fish...because we all do - they're ours.

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:09 AM   #6
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeBoog View Post
Also, there's shoreline access. I think it's 4 feet above the high tide mark is free for anyone to roam on, on foot for any purpose. it really pisses off the mucky mucks in their million dollar homes with iron gates and hired help to see you barefoot walking across 'their' shore.

Nobody owns the lakes, and nobody owns the fish...because we all do - they're ours.
It also pisses of the lower end "citizens". Not a big problem for me the creekside is steep enough, they'd have to walk the creek and that could be very dangerous the creek is rather big, fast and cold.

But my friend back east sure had problems with that, same neighbor that hunts his property....steals firewood and their kid was caught stealing the chainsaw/generator. Neighbor still walks up the creek with his fishing rod "using the law" if just to be an asshole and not much my friend can do about it.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:03 PM   #7
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,536
I remember when the local 'first nations' group went into these lakes a few years ago claiming it was their 'right' to go in there and net the lakes for fish, claiming it was ancestral fishing area. Until it was proven that the lakes up there are all land locked, and never had any trout in them until the Douglas Ranch stocked them for personal use and possible business use.
The fishermen should bugger off, find another lake, and stop threatening me riding up there.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote