Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2014, 08:12 AM   #16
motocityktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdac View Post
The fun way is from lake pleasant. Most of t he sections have been graded now, so not as challenging
The "back" way is pretty much a road with a few tough sections, I took my wife tow up on our 1190 the Sunday after Christmas and it was a nice ride, doable 2 up on the big bike. Happy to set that ride up again for any interested.
motocityktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:23 AM   #17
motocityktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Here are some shots from the "back way" 2 up on our 1190. The biggest issue we had with the ride was dodging RZR traffic coming down otherwise only had one minor almost tip over...oh and a kidney stone reared it's ugly head just after lunch so that was a long ride home! Yes, it does take some experience and a properly set up bike but very fun ride for the big bikes.

motocityktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:32 AM   #18
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Love the way you've got that KTM set up, looks very nice.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:07 AM   #19
jenkkimike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
I rode from Phoenix to Crown King on my father's Yamaha XT600 last winter. It's a great ride and I recommend it to anyone who happens to be in the area. It was amazing to go from 80 degrees surrounded by palm trees and cacti in Phoenix to 40 degrees, snow and pine trees in a matter of a couple hours!
jenkkimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:59 PM   #20
Psycho18th
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Just did seven springs with some other inmates last week, but went onto fr16 down to the verde. Seven springs seemed very big bike friendly. Haven't done bloody basin, but if it's like seven springs that would be a nice route. Fr16 was definitely more DRZ oriented.
Psycho
00 and '07 YAM TTR 90s (kids' bikes)
89 Lockheed F-16C (Work vehicle )
Psycho18th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:22 PM   #21
surlywill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Senator Hwy can be a madhouse on the weekends. Watch for 4x4 and sidewinders. Early in the year can be a little rough after the snow melt but is ok on a big bike. Being local I do it a couple of times a year but now stay away from the weekend crowds in the summer. Weather has been so good now's a great time to go....
Old 02-17-2014, 08:48 AM   #22
fredster
Clueless Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Hey I'm not from around here (yet!) so please forgive my ignorance. Is Senator Hwy a road you can take a Jeep Wrangler down or will I end up with a quad stuck in my grill as a new hood ornament? Not sure of the rules and regs for Jeeps yet but from google maps these look like dirt roads that are open to traffic not single track. Seems like there are a bunch of back roads for exploring via Wrangler. Any suggestions on proper etiquette?

I never learned to dirt bike when I was a kid and I don't heal nearly as well anymore so I try to end my moto rides with the same numbers of bones that I began the ride with (ya know, 'cuz snapping 'em in half tends to increase the bone count) and tend to stick to paved back roads or easy gravel roads when I am exploring on my moto. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #23
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 1,973
Senator Hwy

Very Jeep friendly. You will need to look out for all traffic as many people use that road.
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:54 PM   #24
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurtKlod View Post
The back way to Crown King from Lake Pleasant... yes, most of the really hard stuff has been smoothed out but it would still be a prety challenging ride on a bike of that size. Not saying it couldn't be done, but I think you'd be in over your head, especially two up.
Zeid,
If you are still keeping tabs on this thread, I joined a group of 8 last Saturday for the back way up to Crown King. One of the bikes was an 1150 GS with street tires. If I hadn't of seen it, I wouldn't have believed it. He did just fine. There were a couple challenging hills here and there but this guy just hung on and powered right through 'em.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:17 AM   #25
streakerfreak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Echoing a few others here, but the back way from Prescott to Crown King is moderately difficult on a big bike. A few tough sections here and there, but nothing a little patience wouldn't solve. I would make that ride about every other week. Just be careful this time of year, as the upper portion into Prescott can be icy or snow covered.
streakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:04 PM   #26
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by streakerfreak View Post
Echoing a few others here, but the back way from Prescott to Crown King is moderately difficult on a big bike. A few tough sections here and there, but nothing a little patience wouldn't solve. I would make that ride about every other week. Just be careful this time of year, as the upper portion into Prescott can be icy or snow covered.
I don't think anyone has to worry about ice or snow this year. It's been really warm and dry.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:10 PM   #27
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Sorry, haven't checked this thread for a week or so.

At -most- OHV trails there are little signs that'll tell you if something is or isn't allowed, but to my knowledge as long as it's off-road capable and not a hiking trail you can take it there. In my opinion, the ATV's aren't what you have to look out for, nor are the UTV's, or Dirt Bikes or fellow jeeps. We all tend to smile, nod, wave and look out for each other... Be weary of the assistant director of operations who just bought a new land rover/BMW X5/Mercedes Unimog and wanted to escape Scottsdale for a day to show his family (who are all looking at their iTems the entire time anyways) what the great outdoors, off roading and manliness are all about. Basically, people with SUV's suddenly discover that the damn things can (kind of) go off road and want to become the next Survivorman/Paul Bunyan (as long as they're home by 6). Watch out for them, they don't understand the etiquette of "Slow down when passing, give right of way, work with others to pass, etc." You can tell the stock-SUV owners from people who have actually taken their jeeps in the dirt before. It's so painfully obvious you'll laugh out load the first few times you see it.

As far as the back way to Crown King, I might try it from Lake Pleasant if it's as you guys say, not too horrible. Hills make me nervous two up... Maybe I'll try it solo first and see how it goes.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:05 PM   #28
dogmoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Senator Highway

I have been to Crown King via Senator Highway and had a burger at the bar while the wife visited my niece at Prescott I made a all day ride of it, there and back very nice I hope to get back that way someday.