ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 05:11 PM   #1831
skwidd
where does this lead?
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Pissing in your Kampfire
Oddometer: 16,248
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q75NpIkzcxc
__________________
http://www.jimmyalbertson.com

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:17 PM   #1832
nachtflug
infidel
 
nachtflug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Harrys place
Oddometer: 45,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwidd View Post
it isn't a big 2 stroke unless it has fins on the jug.
nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:17 PM   #1833
natedog39
New Sheriff in town
 
natedog39's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: ravena new york
Oddometer: 6,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
Just in case you didn't know, the 250 class was the premier class for a significant amount of the first two decades of MX in the US, the 70's and the 80's.

Also just as an FYI, they finally eliminated the 500 class.
And your point is?

Villopoto never raced a full size two stroke as a pro.
__________________
People say I'm not a people person, I say how can I be a people person when I hate people. -Joe R

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv
natedog39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:19 PM   #1834
nachtflug
infidel
 
nachtflug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Harrys place
Oddometer: 45,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
it isn't a big 2 stroke unless it has fins on the jug.


nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:30 PM   #1835
nachtflug
infidel
 
nachtflug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Harrys place
Oddometer: 45,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog39 View Post
And your point is?
while I appreciate the amazing skill/nerve/balls/guts etc etc todays riders display on any and all bikes, no more clearly exemplified than on the 450's, the flip side of the sport as it is played out in this era is the the 125 class is a distant memory, filled in at the local level mostly by guys who also are riding a 250 who want more gate time, and the 250 class has taken on the role of minor league baseball at the pro level, thereby minimizing the titles won by them, even outdoors. everything revolves around the 450's and SX. most average fans can probably tell you who won the last 5-6 SX titles on 450's. I'd bet they would have a much harder time with the 250's indoors and out.

so my point is, yes, aside that I can't read your exact words when I scroll down because you changed them, but my point is that yes I understand the move from the 250's to the 450's is a big step, that doesn't mean it's in the right direction.
nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:31 PM   #1836
nachtflug
infidel
 
nachtflug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Harrys place
Oddometer: 45,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog39 View Post
Villopoto never raced a full size two stroke as a pro.
It wouldn't have ended well.
nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:38 PM   #1837
natedog39
New Sheriff in town
 
natedog39's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: ravena new york
Oddometer: 6,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
while I appreciate the amazing skill/nerve/balls/guts etc etc todays riders display on any and all bikes, no more clearly exemplified than on the 450's, the flip side of the sport as it is played out in this era is the the 125 class is a distant memory, filled in at the local level mostly by guys who also are riding a 250 who want more gate time, and the 250 class has taken on the role of minor league baseball at the pro level, thereby minimizing the titles won by them, even outdoors. everything revolves around the 450's and SX. most average fans can probably tell you who won the last 5-6 SX titles on 450's. I'd bet they would have a much harder time with the 250's indoors and out.

so my point is, yes, aside that I can't read your exact words when I scroll down because you changed them, but my point is that yes I understand the move from the 250's to the 450's is a big step, that doesn't mean it's in the right direction.
Villopoto's dominance on a 450 didn't start until after he hired Aldon Baker.
__________________
People say I'm not a people person, I say how can I be a people person when I hate people. -Joe R

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv
natedog39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:39 PM   #1838
nachtflug
infidel
 
nachtflug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Harrys place
Oddometer: 45,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog39 View Post
2009 saw two victories in Supercross, he won the opening round of the outdoors and sat out the rest of the series due to knee surgery.
Not quite a "one man wrecking crew"
Budds Creek 2007.
nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:48 PM   #1839
natedog39
New Sheriff in town
 
natedog39's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: ravena new york
Oddometer: 6,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
Budds Creek 2007.
That was an awesome ride for sure.

In his own words , he had the speed and the skills but his fitness was lacking.
He hired Aldon Baker to bring his fitness to the next level.
__________________
People say I'm not a people person, I say how can I be a people person when I hate people. -Joe R

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv
natedog39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #1840
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer
 
Shawnee Bill's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Oddometer: 1,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
Just in case you didn't know, the 250 class was the premier class for a significant amount of the first two decades of MX in the US, the 70's and the 80's.

Also just as an FYI, they finally eliminated the 500 class.
The 500cc class is gone, that is the 500cc two stroke class, because those things were so brutal only a few people in the world could ride them. One of those riders being Roger DeCoster.

The 500 (open class) was the premier class until it went away.

The 250 class morphed into the 450 class because California effectively outlawed 2 strokes and the only way a 4 stroke could get close to that power for years was to give them almost twice the displacement. Same thing with 125s.

What we now call the 250 class was never the premier class.

Since a lot of development money has been poured into 4 strokes they now out preform the 2 stokes in many ways. Easier to ride because of broader power bands for one thing.

I currently trail ride a CR250 (2T), FE390 (4T) and KTM 525 (4T), racing days are long behind me but that CR250 has the hardest hitting power of the three. The easiest riding bike is the Husaberg, and still has plenty of power for the way I ride these days.


.
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:57 PM   #1841
nachtflug
infidel
 
nachtflug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Harrys place
Oddometer: 45,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee Bill View Post
What we now call the 250 class was never the premier class.
before I prove you wrong, would you settle for prominent instead of premier.
nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:05 PM   #1842
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer
 
Shawnee Bill's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Oddometer: 1,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwidd View Post
Now that's what a dirt bike is SUPPOSED to sound like!

Or better yet take the muffler off!


.
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:16 PM   #1843
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer
 
Shawnee Bill's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Oddometer: 1,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
before I prove you wrong, would you settle for prominent instead of premier.
What we now call the 250 class is what you used to call the 125 class. Then we started calling it the Lites class. Never was either the prominent or the premier class.

When they killed the 500cc class the 250 two stroke class became what Ralph would call the premier class but when 4 strokes came along that 250 designation had to change. The old 250 class is now the 450 class. The current 250 class designation is the same (or similar) as was used for the 250 two stroke.



.
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:03 PM   #1844
natedog39
New Sheriff in town
 
natedog39's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: ravena new york
Oddometer: 6,139
When do we get to the point of all this being Aldon Bakers fault?

People did win races before he came along ya know.
__________________
People say I'm not a people person, I say how can I be a people person when I hate people. -Joe R

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv
natedog39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:38 PM   #1845
nachtflug
infidel
 
nachtflug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Harrys place
Oddometer: 45,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee Bill View Post
What we now call the 250 class is what you used to call the 125 class. Then we started calling it the Lites class. Never was either the prominent or the premier class.

When they killed the 500cc class the 250 two stroke class became what Ralph would call the premier class but when 4 strokes came along that 250 designation had to change. The old 250 class is now the 450 class. The current 250 class designation is the same (or similar) as was used for the 250 two stroke.



.
yes I've got all that. now try to pay attention.

Nate made the statement (since removed) that the step up from the 250's to the 450's is a big one.

to which while I agree that to be true they have also in effect diminished the brightness of the star that used to be the 250 class that ran in the 70's/80'/90's.

back in the 70's since Honda and Kawasaki either didn't have an open class bike (Honda) or dropped it for a few years (KX450/400) the 250 class with Gary Jones, Tony D, Hannah, Howerton, all capturing consecutive titles was kind of the premier class, and it carried into SX, proven by the fact that the only years there was a 500 SX class was 74/75, while the 250 SX class ran from 74 to 2004, so again, for Nate to say that the step from the 250's to the 450's is a big step, it's only FAIR TO POINT OUT THAT THE 250 CLASS USED TO BE THE PREMIER CLASS ALL THING CONSIDERED.
nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014