ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...
Nice? 29 13.12%
Nasty? 30 13.57%
Nasty but nice? 162 73.30%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #4831
Dirtyboydeadly
AKA. Shineyboydudley

Oddometer: 445
Hey planktonnn "Dave" recons that your starting issues are tight valve related. Hope that helps 😊

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Dirtyboydeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:17 PM   #4832
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Oddometer: 3,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyboydeadly View Post
Hey planktonnn "Dave" recons that your starting issues are tight valve related. Hope that helps �
Clearances were last set by "Ian Dave" 1500 or so miles ago. The right jug always catches first and generally sounds very slightly on the close end of about right, whether cold or warm. The left jug clatters slightly more, and is the one that doesn't like to catch. Last time "Ian Dave" did the clearances it was the left that needed most adjustment...

It's no doubt relevant that, not having a centre stand, the left jug seems to sort of wet sump oil down into the inclined cylinder a little, what with always being on the side stand 'n' ting, and it blows this out when it catches. Rings were new in post '82 barrels at the original rebuild. EDIT: You're right, valve clearances are definitely on the go-to list tho/ough.

New plugs and pulling the battery out for a top-up/charge have both helped to get it started & doing very limited mileage, but it's still reluctant to cold start and this was after a couple of relatively dry days so the bike wasn't wet thru/ough. It still coughs back into the left carb at medium revs/medium throttle in any gear. As before, adding or subtracting the slightest bit of throttle clears this.

Still not riding it further than pushing back distance...

planktonnn screwed with this post 02-24-2014 at 04:52 PM
planktonnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:45 PM   #4833
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

In reply to a thoughtful PM from a ADV member...

Dear DB (that's DB not DBD),

Now, let's be frank. This is where you either understand me or get offended. It's up to you.

You don't know me from Grizzly Adams, so while your input is mucho kind and appreciated you're going to have to refer back to the bit near the end in post 4822 where I mentioned about telling people why they are wrong. Now don't misunderstand, but I'm going to take your reasonable & logical suggestion that I volunteer somewhere as a template to set out a wider proposition, which is that I have tried everything I can think of already. Already.

I have a 25 year plus history of working in the scrag-end corners of the music/film business (tho/ough with no success you would have heard of, & as an aside it's less of a 'business' & more of a loose confederation of cunts* ripping each other off), and a reasonable portion of this was spent doing something worthwhile by building an internationally successful Community Youth Music Project called Soundstudio here in the Former United Commonwealth Kingdoms, for which I raised around £750k of external funding. That all went sour because I am insufficiently anodyne & flaccid for local government work, where you're not really supposed to achieve anything because it shows ones colleagues up as the useless tossers that they generally are. And so after (by mistake) making me employee of the year from their 14000 staff they got jittery & locked me in an attic like an embarrassing Bronte-esque relative before taking me thru constructive dismissal as previously described on this thread. Once those juggernauts get rolling there's no stopping them.

Anyway long before I did this I worked at this other arts centre place (with Pjcr12 as deputy then full director), and so some-when more than a couple of years ago I approached them to see if there were any opportunities in fields I had a background in, or even just serving coffee behind the bar during daytime sessions (NB. Peter had left some time before). They well knew what I was capable of, but also knew that I was (am) an unbearable sick cunt, so it took towards a year to be allowed in to do the coffee bar on a Tuesday morning. Fair enough I thought, walk in under the radar & see what possibilities could be developed, or just do it for the sake of the doing of it. The eventual answer was that unfortunately nothing was picked up or developed so I withdrew from doing it in January after maybe over a year at the coffee jug. I was privately warned off applying for the upcoming post of casual sound & lighting engineer (my trade!) and this general sense of suppression melded with the death of Pjcr12 and a lot of conversations where I had to bite my tongue from telling some centre users discussing his death just quite how acutely he thought they were useless bastards littering the world with shit art. During my time there I hope I continued my long heritage of working with all sorts of people from all sorts of backgrounds & communities, particularly those from Disabled (or as I prefer, Differently Able) Communities, trying to understand their experiences & reflect on my own life thru/ough considering theirs as you suggest. I just couldn't make what I was doing there go anywhere because I am the aforementioned unsociable & understandably dislikeable cunt, and even if the simple doing of it would have been enough it came to the point where I was going to be very unpopular for saying the truth & I just wasn't fit to be seen out in public any longer. I wasn't going to be able to hold in the comments that would have seen me kicked out.

I know that you were perhaps referring to the volunteer thing simply as an example of what might be attempted, but I have the unfortunate responsibility of telling you that it was attempted with some vigour (there and at other examples I'll spare you) and it didn't work. Sorry. I also have the unfortunate duty of reminding you that, with reference to your example, Edison was apparently a capitalist charlatan who did very little if any of the 1000 different attempts at the light bulb himself but instead built a village full of underpaid boffins whose hard work he claimed as tho/ough he were some kind of scientific Ringling Brother taking credit for the Elephants herculean acrobatics as if they were his own. I understand the general 'try, try & try again' point you are making but forgive me, that's not an example of fortitude & persistence, more of unbridled exploitation & overpowering unconscionable ego :-D Sorry.

Your reasonable & kind suggestion that I scoot off somewhere different is, I'm afraid, not something that I have not tried on a number of occasions too. I believe I covered it all when I used the phrase 'so I go nowhere because of who I am when I get there' in the original post. Granted such a short phrase doesn't give you a lot of clues that this might be the case, but then there's such a panoramic plethora of shit going on that I have to compress some of it or I'd be sitting here forever, which I am anyway. I succeeded with something like Soundstudio due to a fit-for-purpose product, a good sales pitch & fine intuitive lateral thinking/problem solving skills, and as I said I have applied every ounce of all of my capability to solving my past/current/permanent predicament, and I hope that after this illustrative series of explanations you may have some faith in the veracity of that statement.

So I do appreciate your time & energy and kind thoughts and I'm happy to keep up with a challenge as you suggest, but with all due modesty & not an ounce of condescension might I please suggest that we begin the challenge by trying to think of something I've not already thought of? I know I'm coming off like a twat (which I am) who is determined for things to be all out of whack** (I'm not, they just are), but honestly, it's not as if I've not given it some thought already. Already.

Thanks for your time & consideration.

* More cunts. You'd have thought I would fit in, but they're a different breed of cunts...
** I was recently described by my dear friend who lives in the middle of a castle in France thusly - "
You are about the most eloquent permanent moaner I have ever encountered" :-D

PS - If you don't mind I will post this PM reply on the thread (with one link redacted) so we can all keep up to date with ongoing attempts to find a way out of this shit until we stumble across something that's not occurred to me.

Edit: I should make a small clarification regarding the length of time it took to get behind the coffee bar. The placement itself was arranged quite promptly by a worker at the centre who I have always found to be both effective & efficient, as well as responsive to initiatives. It was the lead up to that interaction that took the time. I don't have a problem that it took time, but it took time. That's all.

planktonnn screwed with this post 02-24-2014 at 06:46 PM Reason: Edit = clarity.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:53 PM   #4834
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
wheels to the sky, brother
Appreciated, but doesn't this mean I would have quite probably crashed upside down into a ditch tho/ough?
Old 02-25-2014, 03:03 PM   #4835
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Metal Band Name Generator

A web page/prg doodled by the esteemed PH

planktonnn screwed with this post 02-26-2014 at 06:02 AM
Old 02-25-2014, 03:20 PM   #4836
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by planktonnn View Post

A doodle by the esteemed PH
Brain Doom Dream War... I shall start an imaginary band with my Igor/Obelix/Watson PW & scream the world to an end.

planktonnn screwed with this post 02-25-2014 at 04:27 PM Reason: d/D
Old 02-25-2014, 03:23 PM   #4837
boxertricks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Could it be water getting in the fuel causing your problems, it seems you've covered just about everything else,just a thought.
boxertricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:15 PM   #4838
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxertricks View Post
Could it be water getting in the fuel causing your problems, it seems you've covered just about everything else, just a thought.
Yup, it's certainly a possibility isn't it. I've had the tank as empty as I could get it (inc. taps off & wiggletude) and there didn't seem to be any sign of water there. Had a look around inside with the aid of a battery powered LED snake light, and also I couldn't smell anything suspicious as if such a thing might be possible. The bike has not been run into the reserve for some considerable time so the lower pick up pipes seem not to have had the chance to suck in the contents of the lower reaches of the tank, whatever they may be.

I have often of late had occasion to drop the float bowls and there's been no sign of anything there. The taps are (I seem to recall but can't be bothered to confirm) Karkoma straight downs with the plastic filters in the bottom, which are clear. There are no filters inline in the fuel pipe. The tank cap seems happy and the rubbers were replaced on rebuild. I've not siliconed up the keyhole as a certain DBD did when I seem to recall he also had a fuel contamination thing. I think he mentioned that when he did this he got a fuel feed problem from the tank airlocking?

I am unsure of what ethanol content we get fed round here (E15?), and what consequential hygroscopic properties that slop may have, or what effect absorption may have if it happens to any significant level? I'm not against the inclusion of ethanol per se and I'm not personally aware if it raises any wider problems (besides the 'Gls Fbr tank seam melting'/tank sealant dissolving/'o' rings going south varieties) but I'm irritated that it effectively (to my understanding) lowers the MPG yield while all the time prices are rising, so we're double screwed over no?

Like I said before, the bike needs to be dug into and various bits tuned, adjusted or replaced as each may require.

Sometime...
Old 02-25-2014, 04:30 PM   #4839
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

I wonder if anyone round this here ADV has owned an R90S for 34 years this October and has just replaced it as a day to day rider with a R1150 GS that they rebuilt from some one else's get off. ;)
Old 02-25-2014, 05:15 PM   #4840
Thorazine
Likes exhaust fumes

Oddometer: 707
Quote:

A doodle by the esteemed PH
Heaven Raven??? What the fuck is this lame-ass shit? If that we're my name, I'd deserve to get my ass kicked.

If I could choose, it'd be Lemmy Kilmister, but that's taken (by the only person who deserves it).

Love the Doodle.

Heaven Raven Jesus lap-dancing Christ. Thanks Plank. You owe me.

* Posts submitted under the moniker Thorazine are for entertainment purposes only, and may include exaggerations, prevarications or bald-faced lies. -- Thorazine - '74 R90/6
Thorazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:57 PM   #4841
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorazine View Post
Heaven Raven Jesus lap-dancing Christ. Thanks Plank. You owe me.
Dearest Heaven,

Well it is for band names, one can always spin again, and yes to Lemmy.

I saw them I think in '79 at the Nailsburgh civic centre and when you walked into the hall you were knocked back by a solid wall of that '70s biker smell. Sometime later ('90/'91?) I was temporarily hooked up* at a rehearsal & recording complex** under the Corn Exchange in Southwark London & we had them booked in to rehearse for a week I think. They were entirely without bullshit & hired the smallest (pokey) room and had us deliver Jack Daniels every morning. I moved my desk outside the door & listened to them hammering away for days. Indescribable.

* Playing with a (then outdated) Fairlight CMI that was lovely, even if the light pen didn't work & it used the old huge floppy disks.
** I've not clicked the *.kmz attachment on that page, tell me what happens if you do :-D
Old 02-25-2014, 06:54 PM   #4842
Thorazine
Likes exhaust fumes

I believe it. Lemmy & the boys are genuine--always have been. I lost more of my hearing to Motörhead shows than my double ear infection & blown eardrum a few years ago.

Clicked the link of the studio. I'd have taken a swim in those bottom 5 floors for a few skulls and king size drum sticks. Safari wouldn't let me view the pics--prolly best since I usually click on stupid shit that only fucks things up.

* Posts submitted under the moniker Thorazine are for entertainment purposes only, and may include exaggerations, prevarications or bald-faced lies. -- Thorazine - '74 R90/6
Old 02-25-2014, 07:16 PM   #4843
Thorazine
Likes exhaust fumes

Quote:
Edison was apparently a capitalist charlatan who did very little if any of the 1000 different attempts at the light bulb himself but instead built a village full of underpaid boffins whose hard work he claimed as tho/ough he were some kind of scientific Ringling Brother taking credit for the Elephants herculean acrobatics as if they were his own. I understand the general 'try, try & try again' point you are making but forgive me, that's not an example of fortitude & persistence, more of unbridled exploitation & overpowering unconscionable ego.
Yup. Even compared to Plank, Edison was a major cunt.
http://youtu.be/3gOR91oentQ

EDIT:: Q: How does one imbed a YouTube link?

Thorazine screwed with this post 02-25-2014 at 09:37 PM Reason: Guess
Old 02-26-2014, 02:34 PM   #4844
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

'Old is when you have more memories than dreams. Twatty is when you have obviously impossible dreams, any time of life'
Quote: Me, 2014.

Hmmm. For some reason (at this end probably) I don't get the quote stuff when I hit to reply. So this is to 4842 & 4843

According to this link a KMZ file, as mentioned in posts 4841 & 4842, seems to be a G-map/G-earth location marker, and if so would only seem to take one to a plan view location shot, which is somewhat pointless in this context as shots of the underground floors themselves would be far (slightly) more interesting. But as you say it's wise not to clickety click willy nilly on stupid shit as it could end up god knows where. So, as if any of this matters:

If I recall correctly the whole building (of which we were in the massive basement floors) was owned by an Irish businessman, sometime Lola Cars and Mondello Park owner & pretty speedy Le Mans winning (GT Class) Gentleman Racer called Martin Birrane. If memory serves he had been looking to re-purpose the lower floors and the business was on its last gasps. I always get called in at the end of something.

http://www.capturedsight.co.uk/london-thames-day-2/source/img_2251.htm

The brown doors at left led down to 'our' bit, which reached along about three quarters along under frontage & all the way back to & beyond the curved rear of the building, which was skirted by the trainline far left. There were a number of rehearsal rooms of various sizes across 2 basement floors and various offices of various sizes, heavy weight lifts, storage cages*, a big room (that would have held a thousand or so sweaty ravers stuffed in together) and other spaces. On the lower floor there was a well stocked recording studio, tho/ough it was by then a little outdated. The Fairlight CMI I mentioned was by then expensive old news, but is well demonstrated in the vid (hopefully) embedded below** - I barricaded myself in the studio 24/7 and, free & for gratis, recorded a solo album of utterly unlistenable shit that never saw the light of day. Probably just as well.

There were cells that reached out under the pavement in front (prime unskirting spot I was assured), and it was often said the cages were part of the Marshallsea but to me the cells were for the secure storage of grain samples for sale in the Exchange above. This seemed quite logical & was supported by the fact that about a mile down the road there was a bloody great plaque for the Debtors Prison of Little Dorrit thus I sort of took it peeple were talking bollocks (they do you know). So when it comes to the five floors & the bones & stuff I was somewhat sceptical, though I could find two levels below our two, and tunnels that reached out from the rear towards the nearby Thames. But who knows what was blocked off?

Anyhoo Mr Birrane sometimes came down with entourage in tow to sweep thru/ough the basement imperiously wafting in the direction of this wall to be knocked down & that junk to be emptied out (us), and I can't blame him for his manner - the Sunday Times rich list has him at €85 million? Anyhoo Pt2, whilst others sensibly sought to engage him with the reasonable attempts at a 'Please don't shut us down' business plan I nerfed him aside & started talking at him about the Lola ex-CanAm beasts and a big ol' Mustang I'd previously seen him throw around all the Former United Commonwealth Kingdoms race tracks and he naturally quite enjoyed this so we had a lovely natter, which led to him recommending me to his daughter (who was part of the entourage) and we set up some contacts for an idea which sometime later came off. She was gorgeous, and he would have made a lovely Pop-in-Law...

International Trophy, Silverstone. Year unknown.

(http://www.mikehaywardcollection.com dead link)

More @ http://www.ponysite.de/transam_birrane.htm

(C) Richard Evans

So that was all in the past. And now I have (temporarily) run out of things to say...

* Stuffed with kit from various up-coming/on top/past it Artistes. I remember there was ironing board of Leo Sayer in one, which he came to visit intermittently (the wanker), and another cage was rented by the 'gone before you can blink' pop tarts Bros. They were on the way down the greasy pole by then and tho/ough the cage was quite large (& still being billed to them for cash payment weekly) all that was left in it was a briefcase with some floppy disks & bills because bailiffs kept turning up & sequestrating equipment until it was all gone. And that there is how the music business works, in its finest most distilled form it's simply a tax write-off mechanism

** To embed hit 'share' then 'embed', copy the code & paste in post. I think. You might note from the screengrab that I can't play youtube vids as I'm on a minus dialup speed connection so I just get the 'error occurred/try later' thing you see there. I used to be able to hop onto the wireless @ the old home & view or pull vids for later viewing, but now I'm not able. Anyway that embedding process should work if memory serves.

PS: I have a lot of time on my hands, and very little to do.

Aaaaand finally, just to make something here vaguely about Motobikin' - a bolt:

http://blog.autospeed.com/2009/03/03/big-bolts/

Please note, not my image, not my bolt (tho/ough I have a pile of similar ones), not my fingers.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:28 PM   #4845
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

3 pics of Pjcr12...