Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2014, 12:57 PM   #16
Mr Steam Turbine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Does anyone have any recommendations for the north coast of Peru?
Mr Steam Turbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:32 PM   #17
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,938
Hostal Naylamp in Huanchaco, Peru

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:33 PM   #18
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavo View Post
All the feedback I could find on this place was very negative
That's odd. The owners were fantastic. Had us bring our bikes in the lobby outside our room. Hugged us daily. Quiet as can be. Secure. Changed money. Arranged a trip to the islands. Gave us directions. Got us an inexpensive taxi. Smiled all the time. The lady sobbed when we left. We stayed three or four nights.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:50 AM   #19
gavo OP
Slacker

Oddometer: 1,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
That's odd. The owners were fantastic. Had us bring our bikes in the lobby outside our room. Hugged us daily. Quiet as can be. Secure. Changed money. Arranged a trip to the islands. Gave us directions. Got us an inexpensive taxi. Smiled all the time. The lady sobbed when we left. We stayed three or four nights.
A personal recommendation is the best and I don't trust things like trip advisor so I may go with it, plus I know were you live------------- no I don't, however I'll take your word.
gavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #20
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,617
Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, California, U.S.A.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:21 PM   #21
mamboman
n00b

Oddometer: 8
La Estrellita

In Cusco, La Estrellita hostal in Avenida Tullumayo welcomes bikers. You park your bike in the courtyard, and they have a kitchen, wi-fi and free breakfast. Its only about 3 blocks from the main plaza, but in a different area to where most of the other backpackers stay.

My moto adventure in Peru

mamboman screwed with this post 02-23-2014 at 09:56 PM
mamboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:29 AM   #22
Honduras
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamboman View Post
In Cusco, La Estrellita hostal in Avenida Tullumayo welcomes bikers. You park your bike in the courtyard, and they have a kitchen, wi-fi and free breakfast. Its only about 3 blocks from the main plaza, but in a different area to where most of the other backpackers stay.

My moto adventure in Peru
Got our bikes parked there for Soles 5.00 per day for 10 weeks secured and will be picking them up on the 4th of March, good nice people there![IMG][/IMG]
Honduras C.A.
http://utilamoto.blogspot.com/
Honduras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:10 AM   #23
roadspirit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
+1 for the Estrelita, stayed there in November 2012. Super cheap, top value for money and the owner is a very kind and friendly man.

south america trip
roadspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:49 AM   #24
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer: 1,074
Good info. I will be hitting Peru next week, and have no idea on routes.

I was going to cross into Peru at Copacabana, Bolivia, and circle Titicaca. After that, unknown.

Please keep the recommendations coming.

I am leaning to avoid Lima entirely. I can't see a compelling reason to go. Does the collective unconsciousness support this decision?

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:29 AM   #25
jachard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Make sure if travelling to Puno you get some good local info about the current situation there. My gf and I rode there in November and got caught up in a riot. We didn't know the extent of it and when we were leaving town we got assaulted by some drunk locals while we were riding out with broken bottles who attempted to drag my gf off the back of the bike. The locals had thrown stones and had clotheslined the main road in/out of Puno so it was like running an obstacle course to get out. We made it out safely but a couple of our friends were stuck there for 4 days.

Apparently, rioting down there in Puno is common and as a result it doesn't make the news.

http://octaneworks.wordpress.com/
jachard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:39 AM   #26
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer: 1,074
Thank you for this good and relevant information. Many people here have said I need to go to Puno. However, none have mentioned this fact.

However, as a tech worker whose career died before I was ever able to achieve owning such a nice 911 as you have, I envy the hell out of you. ;-D

Ah well, not everyone can have a 911. Some have to settle for KLRs. :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachard View Post
Make sure if travelling to Puno you get some good local info about the current situation there. My gf and I rode there in November and got caught up in a riot. We didn't know the extent of it and when we were leaving town we got assaulted by some drunk locals while we were riding out with broken bottles who attempted to drag my gf off the back of the bike. The locals had thrown stones and had clotheslined the main road in/out of Puno so it was like running an obstacle course to get out. We made it out safely but a couple of our friends were stuck there for 4 days.

Apparently, rioting down there in Puno is common and as a result it doesn't make the news.

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:00 AM   #27
jachard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldergeek View Post
Thank you for this good and relevant information. Many people here have said I need to go to Puno. However, none have mentioned this fact.

However, as a tech worker whose career died before I was ever able to achieve owning such a nice 911 as you have, I envy the hell out of you. ;-D

Ah well, not everyone can have a 911. Some have to settle for KLRs. :-(

Thanks! It's a sweet car and definitely not a garage queen since I race it now.

I din't mean to scare you about Puno but thought it important that you know. What we ended up doing was speaking to the local police to get information. Expect to be stopped several times by police checkpoints but we had nothing but good exeperiences with these. In fact, one officer who stopped us ended up strking up a conversation with us for 15min and was a super nice guy and very helpful. What has always worked for me is to stop at any checkpoint, even if they aren't waving you in(some checkpoints are just for cars, some for motorcycles etc). Even in broken Spanish if you tell them what a great time you are having in their county this goes a long way in gettting good local information and finding great roads! Typically they are all very proud of their respective countries and appreciate people who are out there looking to explore.

There is a lot of misinformation out there about Central and South American Police which in my 25 years of living and travelling down there has never been true. The police and Federales in MX and in South America that I have encountered have always been professional and super helpful, especially to motorcycle riders as long as you return the respect which is more than I can say for our police force here in the NYC area.

http://octaneworks.wordpress.com/
jachard is offline   Reply With Quote