ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - West & PNW
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 11:12 AM   #1
fhammond OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Request: Hawthorne, NV from south

Hey, I'm looking for a GPX of interesting routes from Hawthorne, NV south towards DV. Taking a trip there next month from the Bay Area and I'm looking to do something interesting and not too sandy.
fhammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:30 AM   #2
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,289
This is Hawthorn to Benton you were asking for much more on GPSXchange.com
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Bent-Haw.gpx (146.8 KB, 61 views)
Old 02-25-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
fhammond OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
This is Hawthorn to Benton you were asking for much more on GPSXchange.com
Got it! (I got your other message and downloaded the whole collection; I'll ask you a couple of things other in the other thread, if that's ok.)
Old 02-25-2014, 09:08 PM   #4
ghostbuster2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Here are a few big bike friendly possibilities to Hawthorne, though a torrential downpour/flash flood could change that. You already know about Hwy 208, County 3C, and Lucky Boy Pass Rd so I did not include them.

Fort Churchill track takes you across the dry lake and cross country like I described in my earlier post. You can stay on Simpson Rd if you like and still end up at Hooten Well. The power line road into Yerington is easy stuff.

Mickey Canyon track has some rocks on it but it is pretty well tamped down from all the quad and 4 wheeler traffic but it can see some damage from severe rain, watch out for ditches.

Weed Heights track has some gravel in the wash but it is pretty well packed down and you are going uphill so it is easier IMO. There is a new mine up there so watch out for truck traffic.

To Powerline is easy and takes you to a powerline road that is more interesting than riding down 3C.

Not much in the way of food in Silver Springs but in Yerington I like the deli in the Mexican Market across from the courthouse on Main Street. There is also a deli at the fuel stop in Smith. There is fuel in Silver Springs, on Johnson Lane between hwy 395 and Sunrise Pass Rd and in Yerington. There is also fuel in Smith but they only have regular and diesel, no premium.

This is just a small sampling of what is out there and it is all big bike friendly. Have fun, maybe I'll see you out there.

NOTE. Just remembered that the Sunrise Pass track starts just off Sunrise Pass Rd. When you hit the end of Johnson Lane and it turns to dirt there is a dirt road that comes in on the right about 100 yards into the dirt and drops in to cross a small wash, this is Sunrise Pass Rd. There is a sign there but it could be knocked down. Just stay on the graded road, though the 2 short 2 track deviations from Sunrise Pass Rd in the first couple of miles are doable on big bikes there is a sandy wash on the 2 track accessed on Juniper Valley Rd that you have to drop into, ride about 30 yards then climb out. Sunrise Pass Rd is pretty much a highway but watch out for oncoming traffic.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx TO Hawthorne.gpx (424.5 KB, 49 views)

ghostbuster2 screwed with this post 02-25-2014 at 09:23 PM
ghostbuster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:14 AM   #5
fhammond OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostbuster2 View Post
Here are a few big bike friendly possibilities to Hawthorne, though a torrential downpour/flash flood could change that. You already know about Hwy 208, County 3C, and Lucky Boy Pass Rd so I did not include them.

Fort Churchill track takes you across the dry lake and cross country like I described in my earlier post. You can stay on Simpson Rd if you like and still end up at Hooten Well. The power line road into Yerington is easy stuff.

Mickey Canyon track has some rocks on it but it is pretty well tamped down from all the quad and 4 wheeler traffic but it can see some damage from severe rain, watch out for ditches.

Weed Heights track has some gravel in the wash but it is pretty well packed down and you are going uphill so it is easier IMO. There is a new mine up there so watch out for truck traffic.

To Powerline is easy and takes you to a powerline road that is more interesting than riding down 3C.

Not much in the way of food in Silver Springs but in Yerington I like the deli in the Mexican Market across from the courthouse on Main Street. There is also a deli at the fuel stop in Smith. There is fuel in Silver Springs, on Johnson Lane between hwy 395 and Sunrise Pass Rd and in Yerington. There is also fuel in Smith but they only have regular and diesel, no premium.

This is just a small sampling of what is out there and it is all big bike friendly. Have fun, maybe I'll see you out there.

NOTE. Just remembered that the Sunrise Pass track starts just off Sunrise Pass Rd. When you hit the end of Johnson Lane and it turns to dirt there is a dirt road that comes in on the right about 100 yards into the dirt and drops in to cross a small wash, this is Sunrise Pass Rd. There is a sign there but it could be knocked down. Just stay on the graded road, though the 2 short 2 track deviations from Sunrise Pass Rd in the first couple of miles are doable on big bikes there is a sandy wash on the 2 track accessed on Juniper Valley Rd that you have to drop into, ride about 30 yards then climb out. Sunrise Pass Rd is pretty much a highway but watch out for oncoming traffic.
Thanks, this is great! Just one question: in the last paragraph, are you saying the Juniper Valley Ranch Rd detour is better for big bikes? Or should a big bike stay right and keep on Sunrise Pass Road?
Old 02-26-2014, 08:49 AM   #6
ghostbuster2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
The short detour on Juniper Valley is a short 2 track that has a short sandy wash that you have to go down for about 30 yards. Not bad but you said no sand. You could just stay on Sunrise Pass Rd to avoid it.
ghostbuster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:00 AM   #7
Sfcootz
Sugarbush

Oddometer: 3,127
Lucky boy pass is a blast! It's a gravel super Highway. We took it to a Nevada Highway that intersected with CA 395 at Bridgeport.

I did it on my loaded wee Strom.

Viva la figa
Sfcootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:10 AM   #8
fhammond OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostbuster2 View Post
The short detour on Juniper Valley is a short 2 track that has a short sandy wash that you have to go down for about 30 yards. Not bad but you said no sand. You could just stay on Sunrise Pass Rd to avoid it.
Ok, thanks.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:33 AM   #9
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

March is really early but I would cross the Sierra on Hwy 4. If the snow is gone, it has the most parallel dirt options from Murphys to Bear Valley. Then 4 narrows to 1 1/2 lanes and is the most fun ride over the top. 108 has the best views but much more highway.

Going over 4, then thru Topaz then north of Mt Pat to Walker East Fork down to Fletcher, over Luck Boy to Hawthorn.

All that stuff south/east of Carson City is ok but nothing worth going out of your way to ride.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:50 AM   #10
fhammond OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oh, another question.

When going over Lucky Boy Pass, do you go all the way south on CR-3c, then take a left on Lucky Bay? Or do you turn off to the left earlier, on an unnamed trail, then join Lucky Bay?

Here's a picture of what I mean, showing both paths.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:40 AM   #11
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Yes, I use the cut across, don't really need to go to Fletcher.

Again look at my Nevada SMTS file before asking questions. There is a Topaz to Hawthorn Track that uses this short cut.

Countdown screwed with this post 02-26-2014 at 10:45 AM
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:06 AM   #12
fhammond OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes, I use the cut across, don't really need to go to Fletcher.

Again look at my Nevada SMTS file before asking questions. There is a Topaz to Hawthorn Track that uses this short cut.
Got it. What's your Haw-Topz track like for big bikes?
Old 02-26-2014, 04:35 PM   #13
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhammond View Post
Got it. What's your Haw-Topz track like for big bikes?
From Topaz, Ricky Cyn is probably too much, just go up to Graded Risu Cyn Rd which is neat ride over to Sweetwater Rd (338), Lucky boy is County Graded Rd. The 2-track following the Walker river is a little difficult and the crossing at Rough Creek can be deep and there are gates which have been locked at times so perhaps best to just stay on Lucky Boy.

For Max points of interest, turn up to Masonic just after crossing walker river on Lucky Boy, ride thru Masonic to Bodie then down thru Aurora to Fletcher and back on Lucky Boy.

The optional loop over Cory Peak is also a bit much for big bikes.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:44 PM   #14
fhammond OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
From Topaz, Ricky Cyn is probably too much, just go up to Graded Risu Cyn Rd which is neat ride over to Sweetwater Rd (338), Lucky boy is County Graded Rd. The 2-track following the Walker river is a little difficult and the crossing at Rough Creek can be deep and there are gates which have been locked at times so perhaps best to just stay on Lucky Boy.

For Max points of interest, turn up to Masonic just after crossing walker river on Lucky Boy, ride thru Masonic to Bodie then down thru Aurora to Fletcher and back on Lucky Boy.

The optional loop over Cory Peak is also a bit much for big bikes.
Hey Jerry,

I'm having a hard time finding on a map some of the points you mention above. If you've got a moment, would it be possible for you to take a look at the enclosed GPX and let me know what you think? I'm mostly interested in your thoughts about the routes from Gardnerville down to Hawthorne, then Hawthorne down to Goldfield. Based on your earlier suggestions, my first choice is the blue route from Gardnerville to Hawthorne as it seemed the most interesting but still ok for large dual sport bikes.

Thanks,
Fergus

P.S. The "Cabin Under Rock" trail is not one I'm seriously thinking about taking; more there for curiosity than anything.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx DV14.GPX (888.1 KB, 28 views)
Old 03-04-2014, 10:49 PM   #15
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

From my private stock, this is what I would do.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Hammond.gpx (1.03 MB, 43 views)