anna--

as always, another great installment!
+1
Old 02-15-2014, 03:57 PM   #738
rodr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
But Iíll admit, once you lane split, itís hard not to do it all the time. It becomes a desirable challenge for the thrill. Itís like solving a puzzle or working through a maze to find a way around obstacles executing fast decisions. Itís empowering and itís fun.
I like your take on this. Living kinda out in the sticks I don't get to do this so much, but it sure is a nice option when the need arises!
rodr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:36 PM   #739
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,322
Excellent, I can totally see the similarities to bicycles. I just spent a few months in Taipei dicing it up in traffic on the fixie I had; it was a hoot. I haven't had the pleasure on a moto yet, but I'm sure it will come. Thanks for continuing your story for us.
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:38 PM   #740
StickJan
Mobilis in mobil

Oddometer: 22
Anna. Another well written post! Thanks for the lesson! You have a fan here in old Sweden!

//Jan
Old 02-16-2014, 06:10 PM   #741
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffntuff View Post
So sorry for loss, I hope you are managing well and I'm happy my story can provide you with some comfort and relief. I'd be happy to meet you and any other reader that may live close by. Just send a PM and let's grab that beer! Take care,

anna
Hey Anna, I've been following along for awhile now. Good to see you still updating when possible!

I also live relatively close by, Front Royal. I don't know if you or mtnlvnelis know this or not but there is a Charlottesville riders thread...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388596

They all seem to be hibernating at the moment. They were getting together once a week at a local bar/restaurant and watching Moto movies but that seems to have temporarily fallen by the wayside. Good group of people.
I also organize three or four RTE's every year, about this time of year. Keep an eye on the link in my sig line or I can PM you when I get another one going.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:11 AM   #742
Deah
WonderingButNotLost

Oddometer: 61
Awesome report!

Wow is this awesome!
Deah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:53 PM   #743
oilfield_trash
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I just spent an afternoon reading this front to back. What an awesome adventure. I've done the drive to AK and back in a cage and even that was a great trip. You're awesome.
oilfield_trash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:35 PM   #744
frozenpoet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Hey Anna, I've been following along for awhile now. Good to see you still updating when possible!

I also live relatively close by, Front Royal. I don't know if you or mtnlvnelis know this or not but there is a Charlottesville riders thread...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388596

They all seem to be hibernating at the moment. They were getting together once a week at a local bar/restaurant and watching Moto movies but that seems to have temporarily fallen by the wayside. Good group of people.
I also organize three or four RTE's every year, about this time of year. Keep an eye on the link in my sig line or I can PM you when I get another one going.
I'm right next door in strasburg.

I've really enjoyed reading your accounts, it's a trip that I would love to take someday.
frozenpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:43 PM   #745
Wreckman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Anna,
I have read your RR twice and thoroughly enjoy it. I made the trip in 2012 from Pa. I did not have as much time as you did so I could not see as much as you did. I must admit you are one tough young lady. There are many isolated stretches of road that make even seasoned veterans nervous. As you go on with life there will be nothing you can't accomplish. Your trip makes me look forward to my next trip to the 49th state when I retire and can go without limits. God Bless you. I hope to cross paths with you some day.
Wreckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:16 AM   #746
tppilot
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Lane Splitting San Francisco - Itís empowering and itís fun.
Well said...........I wish my wife were up for the challenge. We were stuck in traffic on the 405 (Los Angeles) at midnight a few years back, and she refused to split lanes. We ended up duck-walking all the way up the Sepulveda Pass. Ugh...........I am thankful (and lucky) tho, that she rides her own bike.

I am totally in agreement with your 'rules' for lane splitting. For those reading who may want to give it a try, I would add this - don't focus on the cars at your side; focus instead on the opening between them and keep looking at least 10 cars ahead. When teaching people how to mountain bike, I'd always have to remind them of this concept. 'If you focus on the rock in the trail, you'll hit it - it just happens. Look out ahead of your front wheel and you'll magically go around it.' Same thing applies to Lane Splitting.

I really enjoyed reading your RR. Thanks for sharing.
tppilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:30 AM   #747
ShineySideUp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
As I live in Nor Calif. I have the opportunity to lane share. I ride a Victory Vision which is a big bike to share the lane with. As mentioned above very helpful to look ahead for what is coming up. Not only do you want to watch for side mirrors that stick way out, or someone doing a quick lane change, watch out for steps on RVs. A buddy of mine was sharing a lane and passing a RV and did not see the metal step, you would use to enter the RV, had slid out, caught him on the front tire and he went down, $5k in damage.
Go slow and be ready for anything.

I wonder where that road goes?
ShineySideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:57 AM   #748
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
Itís easy after splitting lanes on a regular basis to feel like the entire road is yours and the concept of lanes doesnít exist at all. You can ride anywhere around any obstacle. The lines between the lanes almost become invisible and Iíd have to remind myself when traffic started breaking up to stop ignoring them. It was hard not to forget the rules.
I fear going back to the states. I have lost all concept of rules on a road.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:36 AM   #749
Lacedaemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Lane Splitting San Francisco

[...]

Itís easy after splitting lanes on a regular basis to feel like the entire road is yours and the concept of lanes doesnít exist at all. You can ride anywhere around any obstacle. The lines between the lanes almost become invisible and Iíd have to remind myself when traffic started breaking up to stop ignoring them. It was hard not to forget the rules.

As tempting as it was to weave through traffic at high speeds, I felt smarter sticking to the normal rules of passing. Itís an easy thing to forget on a bike in California. I saw many reckless riders I chose not to follow.

[...] Unfortunately the luxury of lane splitting, like anything else, can be abused. Thatís why I had to set boundaries for myself.

But Iíll admit, once you lane split, itís hard not to do it all the time. It becomes a desirable challenge for the thrill. Itís like solving a puzzle or working through a maze to find a way around obstacles executing fast decisions. Itís empowering and itís fun.

This is very thoughtful. I think those of us who periodically get involved in halfhearted petitions to introduce lane splitting on the east coast are doomed to failure until we have good answers to these issues. I just can't see a critical mass or people supporting or acquiescing to lane splitting in the DMV, at least, when their vision of what it means is a bunch of reckless squids tearing past them in traffic. The sad thing is that they are probably right a lot of the time. Perhaps something more limited like letting motorcycles use the shoulders on interstates in rush hour? Not ideal, especially with the debris, but we have pretty diabolical traffic here.

I applaud you for your restraint.
Lacedaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:37 PM   #750
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacedaemon View Post
we have pretty diabolical traffic here.
try driving in Sao Paolo and come back and tell us about the traffic
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk