Old 02-24-2014, 04:36 AM   #751
Lacedaemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffntuff View Post
Lane Splitting San Francisco

[...]

It’s easy after splitting lanes on a regular basis to feel like the entire road is yours and the concept of lanes doesn’t exist at all. You can ride anywhere around any obstacle. The lines between the lanes almost become invisible and I’d have to remind myself when traffic started breaking up to stop ignoring them. It was hard not to forget the rules.

As tempting as it was to weave through traffic at high speeds, I felt smarter sticking to the normal rules of passing. It’s an easy thing to forget on a bike in California. I saw many reckless riders I chose not to follow.

[...] Unfortunately the luxury of lane splitting, like anything else, can be abused. That’s why I had to set boundaries for myself.

But I’ll admit, once you lane split, it’s hard not to do it all the time. It becomes a desirable challenge for the thrill. It’s like solving a puzzle or working through a maze to find a way around obstacles executing fast decisions. It’s empowering and it’s fun.

This is very thoughtful. I think those of us who periodically get involved in halfhearted petitions to introduce lane splitting on the east coast are doomed to failure until we have good answers to these issues. I just can't see a critical mass or people supporting or acquiescing to lane splitting in the DMV, at least, when their vision of what it means is a bunch of reckless squids tearing past them in traffic. The sad thing is that they are probably right a lot of the time. Perhaps something more limited like letting motorcycles use the shoulders on interstates in rush hour? Not ideal, especially with the debris, but we have pretty diabolical traffic here.

I applaud you for your restraint.
Lacedaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:37 PM   #752
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacedaemon View Post
we have pretty diabolical traffic here.
try driving in Sao Paolo and come back and tell us about the traffic
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:10 AM   #753
Lacedaemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
try driving in Sao Paolo and come back and tell us about the traffic
I've never been to Sao Paolo, but I have driven quite a bit in Panama City, which is also pretty crazy. The average traffic in DC isn't as bad as Panama City, but yesterday it took me three hours to drive 19 miles to work.

Back to the topic at hand: still really enjoying this RR. It has been through several phases and all are quite different and interesting!
Lacedaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #754
hondated
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Me too..

Anna Like so many others on here it has literally taken me days to read your RR and to finally catch up with you.

U do have some understanding of how you felt when you lost Dan so tragically as I too lost my sister in a traffic accident when she was aged 16 many years ago now and whilst time dampens the pain it stays with you for the rest of your life.
As others have said Dan really would be proud of you. If you think that I am aged 63 and as yet have not summoned up the courage to ride off on that big biking adventure and yet you have already done that at such a young age then you should really congratulate yourself on what you have already achieved.
I suppose like many others on here my wife and I are anxiously waiting for news on how you and Billy are getting on. I am not normally a lover of romantic books but in this case I will make an exception.

Best wishes for the future and I look forward to reading the updates.

Ted UK
hondated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:09 AM   #755
tommysmothers
Flamesuit equipped

Oddometer: 170
This is a fantastic RR!
tommysmothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:04 PM   #756
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommysmothers View Post
This is a fantastic RR!

And we're awaiting the next installment!!
Old 03-06-2014, 03:32 AM   #757
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by prsdrat View Post
And we're awaiting the next installment!!
We are indeed, but we are a patient bunch..
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:39 AM   #758
EffinNewGuy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I logged in to check for an update and this thread was missing from my subscriptions. I panicked because I thought it had been deleted.

So I searched for it, found it and went all the way back to the very first page. Seeing Anna's smile with her then new-to-her Radian and the anticipation of this epic trip made me smile, especially since I now know the beginning and middle of this story.

Anna, this has been an absolutely fantastic story. Even if we never get to the end, I want to thank you for sharing this much.
EffinNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:45 AM   #759
ruffntuff OP
TUFRDR

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffinNewGuy View Post
I logged in to check for an update and this thread was missing from my subscriptions. I panicked because I thought it had been deleted.

So I searched for it, found it and went all the way back to the very first page. Seeing Anna's smile with her then new-to-her Radian and the anticipation of this epic trip made me smile, especially since I now know the beginning and middle of this story.

Anna, this has been an absolutely fantastic story. Even if we never get to the end, I want to thank you for sharing this much.
Have no fear, I will get to the end of this story if it's the last thing I do. Thank you for your patience.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:44 AM   #760
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 619
EEEEEeeeeeeeeeeHHHAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

She breathes!!!

AND writes.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:16 PM   #761
lm248
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffntuff View Post
Have no fear, I will get to the end of this story if it's the last thing I do. Thank you for your patience.
We'll I hope it's not the last thing you do,,,,,
Your really pretty good at it,,,
I'd like to see you take another trip and write about that too,

Les
Old 03-30-2014, 04:34 PM   #762
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Old 04-04-2014, 09:40 AM   #763
Chimera
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Pilgrimage . . .

An annual pilgrimage to the aquarium would be a great experience for those that wish to continue a legacy.

Upward and onward Anna.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:57 PM   #764
OV10
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Anna, a very inspiring RR! Anxiously awaiting the final installment.
OV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:43 PM   #765
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
Anna , great report ! I have no idea how I missed it for so long . It was worth the wait . You have a writing style that for me is like sipping a fine whiskey . I tend to savor each and every paragraph . Condolences about losing your brother , and I agree he was riding with you the whole trip . It is kind of amazing to younger riders how dependable Japanese bikes from the 80s are . Those of us that have been there know they are great and will run a long time . I adopted you in my mind , both my son and daughter do not ride . I really enjoy your candid thoughts as you lived your adventure , both motorcycling and personal . I will be waiting as time allows you to continue to "pen the tale" . Thanks for a great ride report .
Old Man plays with his Wee
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608068
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote