Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2014, 12:21 PM   #61
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,082
I only find this road on the OSM maps. The names are confusing me too. But the section I am asking about is labeled "Hwy 23-Satevo". What you are describing sounds like it could be the road. Dajuice found it on Google Earth and says it looks like a fairly wide gravel road with a bridge (probably?) at the Batopilas River. From there it ties into the road which is labeled "Guachochi-Satevo". That road originates in Guachochi and shows it going to Batopilas.

I guess the safe bet for me, is to stay on the road south from Creel all the way to Guachochi. Then north and west to Bato.

But I am hearing that Guachochi doesn't offer a whole lot and the mystery road would sure seem to cut off some miles getting from Creel to Bato this way.

Any advice and comments appreciated!!
Old 02-08-2014, 11:12 PM   #62
beemer67
Really Old airhead

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post

I guess the safe bet for me, is to stay on the road south from Creel all the way to Guachochi. Then north and west to Bato.

But I am hearing that Guachochi doesn't offer a whole lot and the mystery road would sure seem to cut off some miles getting from Creel to Bato this way.

Any advice and comments appreciated!!
Take into account that Hwy 23 - Creel to Guachochi is paved, great condition and fast. Then Guachochi to 3/4 of the way to Yoquivo is also paved. Then it goes to dirt. And Yoquivo to Bato is dirt. So yes, taking a cutoff before Guachochi might make it shorter (and looking at the map it is real twisty through high country, so maybe even longer) but it will definitely be a lot slower. Instead of travelling at 100Km/h and above, you will be at 50Km/h and below.

True, Guachochi doesn't offer much, gas and food, but the turnoff to Batopilas is right before the town starts so you don't actually have to go in to it.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:25 PM   #63
beemer67
Really Old airhead

Oddometer: 213
I won't recommend it for big bikes or those who don't like it rough, but there are quite enjoyable commercial hot pools off the Creel/ Guachochi road. Turnoff to the right about 30km further south from the old Batopilas/Samachique turnoff is signposted.
There is then a rough track of 19km (40minutes) down into a canyon to a set of private hot pools. Camping is also available as are a couple of cabins. Couple of bucks for the hot pools.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:31 AM   #64
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,604
Moved to Trip Planning.

LDT Tracks forum is for sharing GPX files.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:37 AM   #65
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

My apologies if my inquiries took the thread in the wrong direction.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:11 PM   #66
dajuice OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
I heard from Tury today via CWC. He found out that the construction on the road coming into Bato from the north is on hold for some reason and is passable but could not find out when the construction would resume. We also now believe the bridges on either end of the new road between Bato and Urique are fine.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:33 PM   #67
Tury
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
for the momment original route to Batopilas is open !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajuice View Post
I heard from Tury today via CWC. He found out that the construction on the road coming into Bato from the north is on hold for some reason and is passable but could not find out when the construction would resume. We also now believe the bridges on either end of the new road between Bato and Urique are fine.
Hola dajuice..Brant

Today I found out that the original route to Batopilas is opened for normal traffic, they dont when it will detour ..Guachochic -Yoquivo .Buena Vista-Carbonera- Batopilas.
There is a new bridge at Guapalainas to cross the Urique rio to Batopilas and the vado at the Batopilas is Ok !

Kevin,Paul and Tom, must be at Urique or about to leave Batopilas heading back to Chihuahua, Ill see them Saturday.
Tury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:01 PM   #68
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Hola Dave and Tury!

Thank you for the updates. We will be headed into the canyon in late March.