User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2014, 05:51 PM   #1
gaahrdner OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
[MEX] Route Suggestions: Topolobampo -> Durango -> Mazatlán

Hey all, plans changed and I'm headed to Topolobampo instead of Mazatlan via ferry. Will land the morning of February 22 and hoping to be in Mazatlan on or a bit after the 27th for Carnival. Never been in this area but hoping some of you gnarly dudes can give me a bit of direction?

Riding a DR650 solo shoed with Shinko 705s. Would love to hit the Copper Canyon but I think its too far north for me? Dirt is all good, but I've never ridden single track, all off road experience so far has been in Baja.

Gracias!
gaahrdner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:37 PM   #2
Tury
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Maztlán-Durango-Copper Canyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaahrdner View Post
Hey all, plans changed and I'm headed to Topolobampo instead of Mazatlan via ferry. Will land the morning of February 22 and hoping to be in Mazatlan on or a bit after the 27th for Carnival. Never been in this area but hoping some of you gnarly dudes can give me a bit of direction?

Riding a DR650 solo shoed with Shinko 705s. Would love to hit the Copper Canyon but I think its too far north for me? Dirt is all good, but I've never ridden single track, all off road experience so far has been in Baja.

Gracias!
After the Carnaval, you can take the road to Durango ..ESPINAZO DEL DIABLO ( Devils spine) a must, take tthe libre road , about 345 kms, depending of time Durango city is a town to tourist, there you can contact SR, he is a Geologist from Vancouver lives there knows the area, after Durango head to Hidalgo de Parral 425 kms north passing by Guachochi 180 and you already in Barrancas del Cobre area, and Creel 157 kms north ( navel) of the area,if you decide to come over to Chihuahua state I´ll send you precise info
Tury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:27 PM   #3
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
Hi Tury, I'm from Colorado not Canada. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Gaardner, I donno your time frame but even though you are not going to land in Mazatlán, you might pop in for a day or two. It is a great place to visit.

+1 on the Espinazo de Diablo. It is basically the old free road from Mazatlán to Durango. There is an amazing new toll road, but the old road is definitely more fun on a motorcycle.

There are a few off road crossings from the coast up to Durango for example up the Piaxtla or Presidio river valleys, but they are extremely isolated and somewhat sketchy areas, and I wouldn't recommend riding there solo. You will have a lot of fun on the Espinazo!

I would invite you for a taco but I will be out of town most of next week. I donno what your budget is but I usually recommend the Hotel San Augustine in Durango. I think it is around 600 pesos. There are cheaper hotels but it has a great central location.

There are several different cabins in the Sierra of Durango that are fun to stay in. I like Puenticillas, south of El Salto and Vencedores way north of El Salto. You can look these places up online. They are off the beaten path and will give you a chance of getting off road a bit.

If you really want to get off road let me know and I will send you a track. Most of the off road in the state of Durango is so isolated that it is much better to go with an amigo.

SR
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:33 PM   #4
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Most of the off road in the state of Durango is so isolated
That's what makes it so awesome
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:00 PM   #5
gaahrdner OP
Adventurer

Hey dudes thanks for the responses.

Tury, I'm going the other way, but I'm glad that the route you suggested is pretty much what I just planned.

Met some German folk on the ferry riding some BMWs, headed up to Austin via Creel so I'm tagging along with them for now. Not sure how much off-roading we'll be doing to be honest, but I'm glad I have some others to ride with through the Copper Canyon, having seem some pretty crazy pictures! It's all good though, home base is in Austin so I can always come back.

In Choix tonight, then will hit up Batopilas tomorrow, and Creel the next day. Probably won't make it to Mazatlán until the 28th if I take the following route, what do you think?

SR I will definitely check out that hotel, would be nice to be well rested after two 250+ mile days of highway riding, gracias!

P.S. Not sure if I should be posting here or in the ride planning section?
Old 02-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #6
Tury
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Geting out Batopilas twds. Creel or Guachochic

Hola SR;

Don´t know why I thought you are fron Canada, might be since you are a Geologist and now days most of the mininng companys are from Canada investing in the states of Durango and Chihuahua

Getting twds Creel or Guachochi can not be done by the old route because it is being paved and during working hours is closed. Opened for trafic from sundown to sunup ! So other alternative routes are the option.
While at Batopilas,go to the town Mayor´s office, ask for some one that speaks english( in Batopilas are some people that do, ask for them).

The route I recommend is passing by the air strip--La Carbonera--Buena Vista--Yoquivo..Aboreachi ( from this point) to Laguna de Aboreachi is the shortest to the paved road ( paved road that connects Creel to Guachochic ), or keep on to Guachochi , this is all dirt road.

The first part ( by the air strip) to la Carbonera ( 8 kms) could be quite a bit of difficultly for some.

Hope this is of some help.
Tury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:34 PM   #7
gaahrdner OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tury View Post
Hola SR;

Don´t know why I thought you are fron Canada, might be since you are a Geologist and now days most of the mininng companys are from Canada investing in the states of Durango and Chihuahua

Getting twds Creel or Guachochi can not be done by the old route because it is being paved and during working hours is closed. Opened for trafic from sundown to sunup ! So other alternative routes are the option.
While at Batopilas,go to the town Mayor´s office, ask for some one that speaks english( in Batopilas are some people that do, ask for them).

The route I recommend is passing by the air strip--La Carbonera--Buena Vista--Yoquivo..Aboreachi ( from this point) to Laguna de Aboreachi is the shortest to the paved road ( paved road that connects Creel to Guachochic ), or keep on to Guachochi , this is all dirt road.

The first part ( by the air strip) to la Carbonera ( 8 kms) could be quite a bit of difficultly for some.

Hope this is of some help.
I'm in Hidalgo de Parral right now, had to skip out on Creel but we were told multiple times that, despite the first 15-20km from Batopilas to Creel being unpaved the rest is paved and open all the time now. This seemed to be the case as well, and we had no problems riding, and only encountered construction right after Batopilas.

It'll be totally paved by end of year for sure.

I broke off from the group once we hit Samachic (sp?) and headed towards Guachochic, also no construction. Damn cold though!

HTH
Old 03-09-2014, 06:22 PM   #8
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
If it is not too late, as you go south from Parral on HW45, it's worthwhile to cut west to HW 23 through Santa Maria del Oro and Santiago Papasquiaro. It is a much more fun curvy ride than heading directly south on 45.

Give me a should if you want to meet up in DGO.
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:50 PM   #9
gaahrdner OP
Adventurer

Hey SR, thanks for the response, sadly I've left the area, currently in Ajijic, beautiful area and a decent ride as well from Puerto Vallarta. From Hidalgo del Parral I said fuck it and just bombed the cuotas all the way to Mazatlán. Took me about 8 hours, and something like 500 miles? I was already late and wasn't sure if my reservation would hold since it was Carnivál.

I went back the next day to ride the Espina del Diablo though.

Holy crap, what an amazing road. And the new cuota coming back is tons of fun as well, that bridge, WOW!

Anyway, thanks all for the help!

Now I have to find a way to Playa del Carmen by the 26th and see as much as possible,
Old 03-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #10
avalher
Life is Good.

Oddometer: 101
Was there in Feb, maybe we crossed paths...have fun!!!!