ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2014, 07:52 PM   #16
dirtcrack OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Well, I ended up with a Rev'it Tornado jacket. Good quality and build for a mesh jacket. I liked the simple, low key design of the black version, and it seems that with the liner it will handle 80% or more of our Georgia climate. It was more $ than I wanted to spend but should last for a while. I'll give a review after I've worn it long enough to put it through the paces in cold and hot weather.
dirtcrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:36 PM   #17
smithpa68
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I use an Olympia Switchback jacket. It works pretty well. I had a Kilimanjaro for winter so I did not go air glide. It flows nice. When it is really hot I can feel the back armor get my back sweating. Otherwise I am happy with it. Not sure if any other jacket with back armor would be different in the GA heat and humidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
smithpa68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:11 PM   #18
smithpa68
Adventurer

Fyi.. updated experience with this jacket from today.

Riding with a Switchback jacket and Airglide pants. Warm and sunny is great. No issues. I think the velcro is a bit annoying on the jacket. I seem to keep findiung the arm velco and wrist velco open during the day. Not sure how most of the time. haha.

Waterproof liners. First time in heavy rain today. Results were not great. Left side of my stomach was damp. Crotch and seat were damp. Not soaking wet.. but surely not dry either. Granted it was RAINING hard. But not for that long. Maybe 15 minutes three separate times. Also, I was riding my FJR 1300 with a nice big Rifle windscreen. Disappointed in the waterproof performance. Good enough for summer. But I will reconsider wearing it in the fall with base layers.

Light rains and mist never had an issue with this kit. My First Gear Kilamanjaro jacket and pants have been in heavy rains for a longer time period and was completely dry. But it is too hot for Georgia summer weather when it gets into the 90s.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:46 PM   #19
Mossy_Crk
Fallen over

Oddometer: 721
Thanks for the update. Hard to get long term reviews of stuff like that. I used to ride around Savannah then trips to Cumming and Gainesville in the old Kilimanjaro Air. What a great jacked that thing was. One of the best mesh I ever wore. I assume it was d/c because it just didn't sell enough units. One of these days I need to let it go as I haven't worn it in years. Similarly, the 'waterproof' liner wasn't all that effective. Like an Army poncho, it might have kept rain off you, but it was so hot you were getting more wet from sweat than from the rain. I really think it was a 1-1.5 season jacket.
Mossy_Crk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:32 PM   #20
smithpa68
Adventurer

I wrote Olympia about it. They recommended coating the liner with 3M Scotchguard Outdoor Water Shield. I will give that a try. Next rain, I will update y'all.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:25 PM   #21
SloDon
Hey...where am I?

Oddometer: 622
I wore a Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh for about ten years. Great summer jacket but I was getting concerned about the integrity of the fabric.......changed the amour out a few years back.

To replace it I bought an Olympia Dakar, new name for the Moab.

Got back last week from a loop out west, Dakotas, WY, MT, UT, CO. Temps ran from over 100 in Kansas to 32 on top of Beartooth Pass. Had rain, sleet and snow.

Jacket worked great, kept me cool, dry and warm when necessary.

Very satisfied. It is my first Olympia product.......I am sold!

Hope it lasts as long as my Joe Rocket did........
Don't grow up.......it's a trap!!
SloDon is offline   Reply With Quote