ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2014, 07:03 AM   #16
Kyron
Oncler Inds

Oddometer: 190
Yep, a wet sweat shirt for Phoenix and a dry one for SanFran
Old 02-28-2014, 07:48 AM   #17
slidewayes
slidewayes

Oddometer: 428
Short's, flip flops, and a back protector. O ya mohawk on your hat.
slidewayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:59 AM   #18
armourbl
Adventure Life

Oddometer: 509
I have lived and ridden motorcycles in Phoenix for 20 years. Friends and co-workers always ask and wonder why I wear so much gear in the summer, how it can be possible, etc. I tell them the same thing others have said. At a certain point the hot is just hot, and nothing will change that. The gear keeps the hot off my skin, and keep the sweat I'm producing from evaporating before it can do its intended job of cooling me down.

In the past I've mostly used leather jackets and blue jeans for everyday riding, and full leather suits for more purpose fun riding. In the full suit I'd literally wear nothing more than underwear and a t-shirt. Again, it is hot, but not nearly has hot as it would be otherwise. I ride with a Camelbak and sip on it throughout the ride. Sometimes I'll fill it halfway and freeze it, then fill the rest of the way and have cold water all day long.

I'm currently on a quest for a jacket that will allow me the thinnest layer of outer shell protection and body armor without sacrificing protection, that also has removable liners for water proofing and warmth. I'd like ample zipper vents as well so that cooler temps at elevation can be enjoyed as well in the summer.

Right now I'm leaning heavily toward the Spidi Marathon Jacket. http://www.spidi.com/eu/eu_en/textil...hon-h2out.html

Spidi has some really nice mesh jackets as well like the Netforce. But I'm hesitant to try it as I don't think mesh will work well in extreme heat and adding a liner to stop air flow will make the jacket unbearable in summer. http://www.spidi.com/eu/eu_en/textil...rce-h2out.html

It is a real tough decision to make. Ultimately, one has to be willing to accept that sometimes you just won't be as comfortable as you'd like and pray you don't get stuck in traffic...

ben
Old 03-01-2014, 09:37 AM   #19
ChildlikeWonder OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourbl View Post
I have lived and ridden motorcycles in Phoenix for 20 years. Friends and co-workers always ask and wonder why I wear so much gear in the summer, how it can be possible, etc. I tell them the same thing others have said. At a certain point the hot is just hot, and nothing will change that. The gear keeps the hot off my skin, and keep the sweat I'm producing from evaporating before it can do its intended job of cooling me down.

In the past I've mostly used leather jackets and blue jeans for everyday riding, and full leather suits for more purpose fun riding. In the full suit I'd literally wear nothing more than underwear and a t-shirt. Again, it is hot, but not nearly has hot as it would be otherwise. I ride with a Camelbak and sip on it throughout the ride. Sometimes I'll fill it halfway and freeze it, then fill the rest of the way and have cold water all day long.

I'm currently on a quest for a jacket that will allow me the thinnest layer of outer shell protection and body armor without sacrificing protection, that also has removable liners for water proofing and warmth. I'd like ample zipper vents as well so that cooler temps at elevation can be enjoyed as well in the summer.

Right now I'm leaning heavily toward the Spidi Marathon Jacket. http://www.spidi.com/eu/eu_en/textil...hon-h2out.html

Spidi has some really nice mesh jackets as well like the Netforce. But I'm hesitant to try it as I don't think mesh will work well in extreme heat and adding a liner to stop air flow will make the jacket unbearable in summer. http://www.spidi.com/eu/eu_en/textil...rce-h2out.html

It is a real tough decision to make. Ultimately, one has to be willing to accept that sometimes you just won't be as comfortable as you'd like and pray you don't get stuck in traffic...

ben
So, here's the question then I guess. Cross country july trip. This means lots of hot, often not a dry heat. Rev'It Sand 2 I already own with a cooling vest added, or mesh?
Old 03-01-2014, 11:36 AM   #20
Skelt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Sand with LD Comfort t shirt and shorts. Add the optional sleeves and helmet liner. Keep it wet and control the vents to keep the heat out. Have a way to drink while riding. A second set of LD is nice to have if the mornings start off cool because the shirt will still be damp from the day before.

2007 K1200 GT
1995 R1100GS
2001 F650 GS/Dakar
Skelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:20 PM   #21
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildlikeWonder View Post
So, here's the question then I guess. Cross country july trip. This means lots of hot, often not a dry heat. Rev'It Sand 2 I already own with a cooling vest added, or mesh?
Personally, I'd go with that gear you own and a cooling vest for the reasons already stated. Desert heat is serious shit.

Think extreme cold - only on the opposite end of the spectrum. You wouldn't dream of going into extreme cold country unprotected.

Picked my cooling vest up at Whitehorse Gear. Worked well.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:15 PM   #22
ChildlikeWonder OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelt View Post
Sand with LD Comfort t shirt and shorts. Add the optional sleeves and helmet liner. Keep it wet and control the vents to keep the heat out. Have a way to drink while riding. A second set of LD is nice to have if the mornings start off cool because the shirt will still be damp from the day before.
Looks like that goes directly against the skin. How many pairs would you suggest for a 3 week trip with only 10 days between washing machine access? Is this like cotton where you pretty much need a pair per day, or like wool where you can alternate and get several days of wear before washing as long as they're allowed to air out?
Old 03-01-2014, 03:22 PM   #23
Skelt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
This stuff ain't cheap, but start with two pairs of each! Be careful when you wet then,cause it can get nipple hard cool when in very dry conditions. Even without wetting the LD Comfort stuff it is very comfortable plus it looks like bike shorts. So changing into riding gear in public won't get you dirty looks

2007 K1200 GT
1995 R1100GS
2001 F650 GS/Dakar
Skelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:18 PM   #24
armourbl
Adventure Life

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildlikeWonder View Post
The longer the ride time in the heat the more important all of this gets. I've nevr used a cooling vest, but that sounds like sound advice. Get hydrated and stay hydrated -- once you are behind the curve on this it is very hard to catch up. I'd use fuel stops as an excuse to get out of your riding gear and cool down in the store if possible. Remember to eat small snacks as well to keep your electrolytes up.

Know the symptoms of heat related illnesses as well.

The heat in the summer is really only unbearable when you are forced to slow way down or stop for the most part -- like in traffic. That is mainly true for those who are acclimated to it. Remember that temperature can vary as much as 40 degrees from lows to highs. If you can do it, plan most of your travel in the earliest part of the morning and be done by 3 or 4 p.m. when it is the hottest. Temps here in Phoenix will stay above 100 even after the sun goes down for the first part of the night.

ben
Old 03-08-2014, 05:34 PM   #25
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,515
Cycleport makes Kevlar mesh gear that will save your bacon and keep you cool, being protected is not cheap though
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:48 PM   #26
ChildlikeWonder OP
Studly Adventurer

As long as you guys are schooling me on how to best cope at 110F, I have a stock 12GS screen (was too low for 6'2" me to do anything) and a high one. Should I take the high one to limit the blast furnace effect, or will I still want the low one to get the most airflow (high one still keeps my helmet in a stream of air)?