Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2014, 02:36 PM   #16
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity Sportsgear View Post

The direct to battery controller will be available by this spring/summer.

Awesome, great to hear!
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:27 AM   #17
Velocity Sportsgear OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Glove Review

A pair of gloves were delivered to Cromoth on Friday and he has mentioned he will be posting a review here for everyone.
info@velocitysportsgear.com
1-855-670-9298
Velocity Sportsgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:57 AM   #18
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
Any answers for my questions in post #15? Thanks.
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:05 PM   #19
Velocity Sportsgear OP
Adventurer

The Gloves are not CE tested. The Lithium Polymer Batteries are CE/ULC certified.
The same gloves that operate on the battery will also operate from the Bike 12V battery with the optional Heat Controller that will be coming out soon. We are trying to make it so once the Gloves are connected to the bike battery the heat controller will also charge the two Li-Po batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssevy View Post
Thanks. Can you please provide details regarding which CE testing your gloves have passed, and also how is the wired version going to operate? Do these also contain a battery which will be charging when they are plugged in, or are they just a hard wired glove with a temperature controller between the gloves and the battery?
1-855-670-9298
Old 02-27-2014, 04:51 AM   #20
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Thank you for clarifying your CE testing statement and the wiring question.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #21
Velocity Sportsgear OP
Adventurer

Cool2

I was hoping you could name me a heated motorcycle glove that is CE tested.

Quote:
Thank you for clarifying your CE testing statement and the wiring question.
1-855-670-9298
Old 03-02-2014, 05:50 PM   #22
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I was hoping you could name me a heated motorcycle glove that is CE tested.
Actually, I thought that yours was:
"Yes our stuff meets CE specifications."

In the photo which you provided, your gloves appeared similar to my Velocity Gear Formula summer gloves, which do indeed have CE certification, and so I accepted your initial answer as being true based upon looks only. My clarification question was asked because the most recent CE certification is apparently not as stringent as the old, and I was wondering which standard your gloves met. Now I know that the correct answer is neither.

Unfortunately, you may be correct, and there may be no heated gloves that meet the new CE standard, let alone the older more stringent one. Were one available, it would, of course, only demonstrate that one sample pair had met the standard, and that the company had felt that spending the money on the certification process was a worthwhile investment and so could serve to separate the manufacturer from others offering a similar product, but some buyers such as myself still consider this certification to be meaningful.

I was not implying that your gloves were deficient, as they share many features with my CE certified pair. I was only asking for clarification of the standard as mentioned above. Even though your initial response regarding CE certification could be interpreted as untrue and misleading, I did not assume this was the case at all, and I was genuinely thanking you for clarifying the point.

As for this last post of yours, I am not sure what point you are making? My immediate reaction upon reading it was that I had somehow inadvertently struck a nerve.

As a manufacturer you should welcome interest and questions about your product, and if you have chosen not to do the CE certification route, then say so and tell us why. $300 is a big chunk of change, and I expect someone lightening my wallet by this amount to be honest and respectful towards me as a potential customer. My questions were not meant to be "gotcha", but your reaction implies that that is how they were received.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:09 AM   #23
Velocity Sportsgear OP
Adventurer

Not at all. I was also merely implying that there are no heated gloves with CE certification in the market. 90% of all heated motorcycle gloves in the market have two flaws. First the technology being one that has been around since 1945. World War 2 bombers used resistive wiring in their gloves and passed an electrical current through it to generate heat. Drawbacks? High power consumption, No uniform heat and most importantly users getting burnt from hotspots (resistive wires do coil up/kink over usage and create a hot spot). The Second Flaw no real motorcycle heated gloves, lots of oven mitt based designs with no protection. We have a Motorcycle glove called the VR-Pro which has been tested by racers in the Canadian Superbike Championship and other race series but we sell a lot of these gloves to street riders who always let me know how awesome the glove is. We basically took that design with the palm sliders, Scaphoid slider, TPU knuckles and finger sliders and used in a Heated glove. The heat is Infra Red so no resistive wiring. We are actually probably the only heated motorcycle glove manufacturers that have CE certified batteries (and the slimmest).
Your normal motorcycle heated glove or just general battery heated glove has 3 layers. The Outer shell, the insulation which has resistive wiring stitched around the edges and the inner liner. So easy and cheap to manufacture and because resistive wiring uses a lot of power the power usually comes from the Bike 12V battery. In some cases those that have portable batteries mis-represent the battery life.

What we do is build a glove that is the ultimate in crash protection and has 7 layers. The outer 1 mm analine grade A Full Grain cowhide leather (treated to be waterproof), a thing insulation layer, A reflective insulation layer, a 70GSM Thinsulate layer, our Infra Red heating pad, a HiPora waterproof layer and then an anti bacterial inner Liner. With all the protection and all the layers it took us 18 months to figure out how to manufacture this glove. I guarantee no one will ever make a heated glove like this. Infra Red hat will never burn the user and battery life will be a lot longer. To make it even better we are developing the option to also have the same glove connect to your bike battery while the batteries are being charged. Hence the statement that this is the best heated glove in the world. Is it CE tested. Nope. But is it the safest heated Motorcycle glove in the world. Yes.

Our company has always prided itself by making products that consumers want and improving them via customer feedback. So my point really was to point out that there are no CE tested gloves in the market. :)

Quote:
Actually, I thought that yours was:
"Yes our stuff meets CE specifications."

In the photo which you provided, your gloves appeared similar to my Velocity Gear Formula summer gloves, which do indeed have CE certification, and so I accepted your initial answer as being true based upon looks only. My clarification question was asked because the most recent CE certification is apparently not as stringent as the old, and I was wondering which standard your gloves met. Now I know that the correct answer is neither.

Unfortunately, you may be correct, and there may be no heated gloves that meet the new CE standard, let alone the older more stringent one. Were one available, it would, of course, only demonstrate that one sample pair had met the standard, and that the company had felt that spending the money on the certification process was a worthwhile investment and so could serve to separate the manufacturer from others offering a similar product, but some buyers such as myself still consider this certification to be meaningful.

I was not implying that your gloves were deficient, as they share many features with my CE certified pair. I was only asking for clarification of the standard as mentioned above. Even though your initial response regarding CE certification could be interpreted as untrue and misleading, I did not assume this was the case at all, and I was genuinely thanking you for clarifying the point.

As for this last post of yours, I am not sure what point you are making? My immediate reaction upon reading it was that I had somehow inadvertently struck a nerve.

As a manufacturer you should welcome interest and questions about your product, and if you have chosen not to do the CE certification route, then say so and tell us why. $300 is a big chunk of change, and I expect someone lightening my wallet by this amount to be honest and respectful towards me as a potential customer. My questions were not meant to be "gotcha", but your reaction implies that that is how they were received.
1-855-670-9298
Old 03-03-2014, 03:47 PM   #24
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,893
Quote:
Not at all. I was also merely implying that there are no heated gloves with CE certification in the market. 90% of all heated motorcycle gloves in the market have two flaws. First the technology being one that has been around since 1945. World War 2 bombers used resistive wiring in their gloves and passed an electrical current through it to generate heat. Drawbacks? High power consumption, No uniform heat and most importantly users getting burnt from hotspots (resistive wires do coil up/kink over usage and create a hot spot). The Second Flaw no real motorcycle heated gloves, lots of oven mitt based designs with no protection. We have a Motorcycle glove called the VR-Pro which has been tested by racers in the Canadian Superbike Championship and other race series but we sell a lot of these gloves to street riders who always let me know how awesome the glove is. We basically took that design with the palm sliders, Scaphoid slider, TPU knuckles and finger sliders and used in a Heated glove. The heat is Infra Red so no resistive wiring. We are actually probably the only heated motorcycle glove manufacturers that have CE certified batteries (and the slimmest).
Your normal motorcycle heated glove or just general battery heated glove has 3 layers. The Outer shell, the insulation which has resistive wiring stitched around the edges and the inner liner. So easy and cheap to manufacture and because resistive wiring uses a lot of power the power usually comes from the Bike 12V battery. In some cases those that have portable batteries mis-represent the battery life.

What we do is build a glove that is the ultimate in crash protection and has 7 layers. The outer 1 mm analine grade A Full Grain cowhide leather (treated to be waterproof), a thing insulation layer, A reflective insulation layer, a 70GSM Thinsulate layer, our Infra Red heating pad, a HiPora waterproof layer and then an anti bacterial inner Liner. With all the protection and all the layers it took us 18 months to figure out how to manufacture this glove. I guarantee no one will ever make a heated glove like this. Infra Red hat will never burn the user and battery life will be a lot longer. To make it even better we are developing the option to also have the same glove connect to your bike battery while the batteries are being charged. Hence the statement that this is the best heated glove in the world. Is it CE tested. Nope. But is it the safest heated Motorcycle glove in the world. Yes.

Our company has always prided itself by making products that consumers want and improving them via customer feedback. So my point really was to point out that there are no CE tested gloves in the market. :)
That sounds like an awesome, yet bulky, glove.

A few questions;
-are all of those layers bonded together, or will they pull out? For my needs, there isn't a better design than the Gore Xtrafit where all the layers are bonded together. Putting a wet hand into xtrafit is about as drama free as possible. Most other gloves have a floating liner(s) that bunches up in the fingers and gets stuck on a wet hand.
-Are the seams taped? The first thing I always do with new waterproof gloves is put them on and stick my hands in a bucket for five minutes. Will your gloves survive the test?
-Can you comment on the bulk?

Your gloves look awesome. They're worth $300 to me, especially if you can figure out how to wire them to the bike. Actually, I need them to plug into the coax plug in the sleeves of my heated jacket. Without that, its a deal breaker. I just don't want to deal with yet another thing to charge in my life.
1971 Lambretta DL

levain screwed with this post 03-10-2014 at 07:00 AM
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:56 PM   #25
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Again, thanks for clarification. Looking at the US version of your website, I don't find any products under the products tab. The other rider's thread that you linked in your first post sounds like the only way to get your gloves is to pick them up personally?
Depending on how the wiring option design works out, and how easy it is to order these, I may want a pair. When will you announce the final wiring design, and how would a person go about getting a pair here in the US?
Old 03-19-2014, 05:36 AM   #26
DonM
Do-dah Do-dah

Oddometer: 184
I have always wondered why the Goretex layer is usually next to the skin leaving the insulation free to sponge up water? This simply sets up an evaporative cooler that the heating element slowly looses ground to.

If your gloves pass the " bucket test" without gaining water weight you have a winner. I have seen waterproof boot tests where the boots are tested for leakproofness and how much weight is retained from absorbed water. Some have abysmal results even though feet stay dry.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #27
Velocity Sportsgear OP
Adventurer

Availability

The gloves are available at www.firedupx.com .
1-855-670-9298
Old 04-03-2014, 02:20 PM   #28
Velocity Sportsgear OP
Adventurer

waterproof

Here is the problem. If you poke a stitching hole in the waterproof membrane it is not waterproof anymore. The FIR heating pad has to be stitched in place. Now the priority is to keep your hand dry which it accomplishes. Now having said that the outside leather is also waterproof unfortunately t he seams are not so in a drizzle the leather will resist the water, in a downpour maybe not but only a slight amount of water will get in the glove which will be stopped by the waterproof membrane. If you plan on dipping your hand in a bucket than your hands will be dry and the insulation will not but will eventually dry. With our Infra red tech the glove will still glove even if it is wet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
I have always wondered why the Goretex layer is usually next to the skin leaving the insulation free to sponge up water? This simply sets up an evaporative cooler that the heating element slowly looses ground to.

If your gloves pass the " bucket test" without gaining water weight you have a winner. I have seen waterproof boot tests where the boots are tested for leakproofness and how much weight is retained from absorbed water. Some have abysmal results even though feet stay dry.
1-855-670-9298