ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2014, 03:05 PM   #1321
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post
Looks like Death Valley might get some rain this week Thursday - Saturday. Just enough to settle the dust and with temps around 70 degrees, this could be a great weekend to be in Death Valley.
the bay area and central coast are supposed to get DUMPED on hard tomorrow.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:14 AM   #1322
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
the bay area and central coast are supposed to get DUMPED on hard tomorrow.
LA is supposed to get record rains as well. I'd be very mindful of flash flooding anywhere in the desert.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:11 PM   #1323
YellowjacketD37
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Attention Riders,

When you go to the District 37 Dual Sport Forum on the District 37 website, you'll find a calendar of upcoming District 37 dual sport rides posted.

Due to your previous pages of posts of AMA-sanction concerns, a District 37 committee member made an addition to the calendar. Now, when a District 37 dual sport ride receives its sanction from the AMA, a link to the AMA website (which verifies the ride) will appear below the listing on the District 37 calendar.

Check it out here:

http://www.district37ama.org/forums/...-RIDE-CALENDAR-**

This should help you out if you need to see if there is an AMA-sanctioned event (put on by District 37) scheduled on the day(s) and in the area you wish to ride.
YellowjacketD37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:06 PM   #1324
rlmankins
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Wicked Death Valley

DV should get over an inch of rain tomorrow. Floods, washouts, a mess, check with visitors center for current road conditions. Nice today
rlmankins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:50 PM   #1325
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,232
A very severe storm came through Central California today heading to death Valley.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:56 AM   #1326
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,147
Death Valley Riding Condition

Live report from DV.
Significant rain fell in the last 2 days here but little flash flood damage. Made for great photos. Was a steady on off rain and while you can tell it rained, so far the roads don't look all torn up. Excellent traction and no dust. :)

There was however a major rock slide about 50 yards from the top of Golar Wash, impassable to 4x4's and large bikes until it gets cleared out. Was able to ride through on a small bike.

I was stopped and questioned by a blm ranger on the escape route. Same story with them looking for people on a Jerry Count ride.
They are gunning for bikes now and said they will be watching and listening (online).
For now I'll save most of my opinion about this until get get on a computer, but right or wrong jerry has brought heat to all motorcycle riders visiting the area. No permits for his rides has pissed off the rangers, rightfully so.
It would be great for someone to start a new thread to discuss this group ride matter, IMHO of course.

More road reports to follow as I wander the area.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 03-04-2014 at 08:03 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:23 AM   #1327
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post

I was stopped and questioned by a blm ranger on the escape route. Same story with them looking for people on a Jerry Count ride.

No permits for his rides has pissed off the rangers, rightfully so.
Have you been getting permits for your tours?
Old 03-02-2014, 11:33 AM   #1328
flynride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Thanks for the update. I think I'll go check out the trail damage for myself.

I'm conflicted on the permit issue. On one hand, I say that BLM is extorting money disguised as a group permit. On the other hand, I say just play by the rules to reduce the heat.

I know one thing is for sure, the attention is generally not good and anytime you get the BLM fired up about land use and motorized travel, it ends with closures.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:55 PM   #1329
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,232
Lost: thanks for the update on Goler Wash. That is really what this thread is about.

Keep the reports coming. Would be interested to know if South or North Pass got any snow if you ride out there.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #1330
scramjet
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Live report from DV.
Significant rain fell in the last 2 days here but little flash flood damage. Made for great photos. Was a steady on off rain and while you can tell it rained, so far the roads don't look all torn up. Excellent traction and no dust. :)

There was however a major rock slide about 50 yards from the top of Golar Wash, impassable to 4x4's and large bikes until it gets cleared out. Was able to ride through on a small bike.

They are gunning for bikes now and said they will be watching and listening (online).
For now I'll save most of my opinion about this until get get on a computer, but right or wrong jerry has brought heat to all motorcycle riders visiting the area. No permits for his rides has pissed off the rangers, rightfully so.
It would be great for someone to start a new thread to discuss this group ride matter, IMHO of course.

I'm confused, the BLM Rangers are still watching the Escape Trail for riders on the Counts ride two weeks after the ride? I guess they're looking for guys who did the ride and, after being introduced to the area via the Counts ride, have come back to again ride the area?

Doesn't make a lot of sense, but it's crap that there is now is a lot of LEO focus as a result of an organized ride.
scramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:57 PM   #1331
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post
Lost: thanks for the update on Goler Wash. That is really what this thread is about.

Keep the reports coming. Would be interested to know if South or North Pass got any snow if you ride out there.
+1 on the thread topics and +1 that a new thread should be started to discuss "group rides" etc....

Those are some big ass rocks that came tumbling down!
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:48 AM   #1332
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,660
Quote:
Live report from DV.

Hi Finn ......

I have a bunch of 4X4 friends who would beg to differ with you.......

I'll have to pass this photo on to them to give them some incentive.

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:26 AM   #1333
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by scramjet View Post
I'm confused, the BLM Rangers are still watching the Escape Trail for riders on the Counts ride two weeks after the ride? I guess they're looking for guys who did the ride and, after being introduced to the area via the Counts ride, have come back to again ride the area?

Doesn't make a lot of sense, but it's crap that there is now is a lot of LEO focus as a result of an organized ride.
They're just ramping up for this weeks upcoming DV350 put on by Jerry Counts, I'd expect to see a NPS ranger sitting at the boundary in Goler Wash too.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #1334
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,788
>"I have a bunch of 4X4 friends who would beg to differ with you......."

That big boulder in the middle of the pass might be a problem.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:51 PM   #1335
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,147
Echo Canyon still the same, west side road all good, Golar wash is impassable to 4x4's and big loaded bikes until some folks do some serious work...
Titus Canyon closed on 3/2/2014.
Racetrack Rd is a little more rough than usual for 5 miles after the Crater due to washouts, I'd imagine that will get fixed quickly and is no issue for any DS bike. Lippencott is in decent condition, no new road damage, Saline valley has been ruined by the county, it's a freaking dirt high speed highway from 190 to hot springs, didn't venture further north than that, but local reports are it's all fixed up through north pass to let the masses in. Prius ready from 190 north. (when it's dry)
Snow starting at 6500' on hunter mountain, just 2-4" up to the cabin where I turned around due to gas needs. Was melting fast @ 9am and with the forecasted weather I'd imagine it will all melt soon. Lots of melting horizontal ice on the foliage up there, was a great thing to see.

Looks like these big storms didn't tear up DV from what I saw, besides the Golar rock slide. It looked like lots of rain fell, but not too fast so there were no major flash floods. Going to be very green for Dv soon.

Here's a video showing most of the places I visited including the Golar Slide and Hunter Mountain.

Cheers!

-Finn

Saline @ Lippencott

Hunter

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 03-05-2014 at 07:53 AM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote