ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2014, 02:43 PM   #16
BISHOP
Roadracer goes Dual
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: High Desert
Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoDaveL View Post
I bought some Canadian military goretex socks which come up to the top of my A* tech3's. They were about $30 and I have stood in water and can confirm that they are 100% waterproof.
You have a link for info and where to buy these socks?

Thanks!
BISHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:55 PM   #17
ridenm
not waiting anymore
 
ridenm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Carnuel, NM USA
Oddometer: 2,473
+1 on the Gaerne boots especially if you have large diameter calves.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
__________________
I've learned to live with reduced expectations--I'm a Vikings fan.
ridenm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:18 PM   #18
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer
 
basketcase's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Fading...
Oddometer: 1,400


Perspective is important. In moderate rain most good boots will keep you dry, but any boot can be "overwhelmed" in the right situation.

To wit: for a while four of us locally owned DR650's and we regularly rode the fire-roads in the nearby national forest. We would set a date and then ride rain or shine.

One of the guys wears only the best gear and his BMW gore-tex lined boots had always kept him dry.

But one memorable rainy day he went down in a deep mudhole. I was behind him and it unfolded as if in slow motion. He and the bike started down.

The bike disappeared under the water so that only the right handlebar tip was sticking up above the surface.

Then he slipped and fell and half-disappeared into the same water hole.

I skidded to a stop behind him and parked my bike and waded into the hole and grabbed his bike and stood it up (based on the theory that if he could get his feet under him he could stand up of his own volition). Hey, what are friends for?

Needless to say his gore-tex lined boots failed the test. They filled up with water, as did my waterproofed and usually "keeps me dry" work boots. We both sloshed water the rest of the day.

Later that year I bought a pair of Aerostich Combat Touring Boots and no sooner than I unpacked the box I applied a liberal coating of Aquaseal.

So far my feet have never gotten wet in the CTB's. But the boots are 14" high - I suspect that in 15" of water I would be in trouble!

__________________
'00 BMW R1100RT, '06 Jeep Wrangler TJ
------------
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:03 PM   #19
dgjackson40
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Central Missouri USA
Oddometer: 239
Forma Adventure

Just bought a pair of Forma Adventures. Have only gotten to use them a few times but two weeks ago I waded into a low water bridge to check the surface under the fast running water that was about 8 to 10 inches deep. Came out with warm dry feet and no problems throughout rest of the ride on melting ice and snow covered roads.
__________________
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for. Louis l'Amour
2007 KTM 990 Adv; 2005 VStar 1100 Sold!; 2002 GL1800
dgjackson40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:01 PM   #20
squish
Out of the office.
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Where the Ghetto meets the sea.
Oddometer: 6,015
Sidi Crossfire TA's with a pair of gore tex socks.
__________________
On vacation for a spell
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:31 PM   #21
Falconfixer
It is what it is....
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Lost Wages, Nv
Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgjackson40 View Post
Just bought a pair of Forma Adventures. Have only gotten to use them a few times but two weeks ago I waded into a low water bridge to check the surface under the fast running water that was about 8 to 10 inches deep. Came out with warm dry feet and no problems throughout rest of the ride on melting ice and snow covered roads.
What he said.
Falconfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:47 AM   #22
MotoDaveL
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MotoDaveL's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Barrie ONT Canada
Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by BISHOP View Post
You have a link for info and where to buy these socks?

Thanks!
I bought mine on Ebay but also found them here. http://www.aasurplus.ca/surplus/prod...tex-socks-used

I jumped at them after considering the KLIM ones.
MotoDaveL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:18 PM   #23
Pete_Tallahassee
Out Standing Member
 
Pete_Tallahassee's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Tallahassee. FL. USA
Oddometer: 135
I searched for quite a while with the criteria of water proof and comfort. I bought the Sidi Canyons. They slip on and off easily and are good for walking in. Have not tested the waterproof part.
Pete_Tallahassee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:39 PM   #24
kag
Wander Lust
 
kag's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 1,251
Forma Adventures are not true off road boots but they should come close I think t what you are wanting. I had a set of Balanced oil I sold....the Forma Adventures are just better in my opinion.
__________________
“Always drink upstream from the herd”

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:53 AM   #25
shojimon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase View Post


Perspective is important. In moderate rain most good boots will keep you dry, but any boot can be "overwhelmed" in the right situation.

To wit: for a while four of us locally owned DR650's and we regularly rode the fire-roads in the nearby national forest. We would set a date and then ride rain or shine.

One of the guys wears only the best gear and his BMW gore-tex lined boots had always kept him dry.

But one memorable rainy day he went down in a deep mudhole. I was behind him and it unfolded as if in slow motion. He and the bike started down.

The bike disappeared under the water so that only the right handlebar tip was sticking up above the surface.

Then he slipped and fell and half-disappeared into the same water hole.

I skidded to a stop behind him and parked my bike and waded into the hole and grabbed his bike and stood it up (based on the theory that if he could get his feet under him he could stand up of his own volition). Hey, what are friends for?

Needless to say his gore-tex lined boots failed the test. They filled up with water, as did my waterproofed and usually "keeps me dry" work boots. We both sloshed water the rest of the day.

Later that year I bought a pair of Aerostich Combat Touring Boots and no sooner than I unpacked the box I applied a liberal coating of Aquaseal.

So far my feet have never gotten wet in the CTB's. But the boots are 14" high - I suspect that in 15" of water I would be in trouble!

You eloquently describe a condition known among professionals as "OBT" (over boot top)
shojimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:01 AM   #26
MotoDaveL
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MotoDaveL's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Barrie ONT Canada
Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by shojimon View Post
You eloquently describe a condition known among professionals as "OBT" (over boot top)

at the point where you are "swimming" all bets are off!
MotoDaveL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:13 AM   #27
nzrian
Gnarly Adventurer
 
nzrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Queenstown , NZ
Oddometer: 158
Forma adventure

+1 on the forma adventure, waterproof and real comfy.
__________________
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
-Lewis Carroll.
nzrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:38 PM   #28
lipsee
Adventurer
 
lipsee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 68
Falco Mixtos

I have a pair of Falco,s .They are waterproof,reasonably cheap,and do ,nt look that bad...Check out web bike world for a review....
lipsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:44 PM   #29
smj
Gnarly Adventurer
 
smj's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 184
I've been looking at three boots to try to do both road and off road rides - 2 waterproof one not so much...

Sidi Adventure Gore-Tex
Alpinestars Toucan Gore-Tex
And the Gaerne SG-10 (Not waterproof like the other two, but might actually fit better. And there are now sprays that you can put on to make anything waterproof, within reason.)

If there is a cheaper priced, equally good boot out there, I'd like to know about it. I currently have the Alpinestars Scout, and a cheap ATV boot by Fox. The Scout is way to light for the off road I want to do, I fear crushing my foot if the 990 falls on it! The cheap Fox boot seems to be about what I paid for. Sloppy fit, can't buckle them easy, showing a lot of wear for a small amount of use, they do NOT breath at all, yet very much not waterproof... A bit weird. I am not dishing Fox boots at all, for what I paid for them they are fine. I just want something better.
__________________
Faint is the heart that runs from a fight, but it's a sorry set of legs 'let a man take a beating.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014