User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2014, 01:42 AM   #1
DudeClone OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,695
Laugh Well On My Way To A Speeding Ticket

Just got my first motorcycle after a few years riding 150cc scooters. Gotta say I ride those fast, too. But cops never slowed to give those a look. Now I see 'em slow and look when on my FZ6. It's RED (we all know what that means....FASTEST color) and has 90 more ponies then my scooters. Just a matter of time, i figure.

How many speeding tickets have you gotten? Past, present, or future estimates welcome
Old 03-05-2014, 02:44 AM   #2
Retro
Just the Facts Ma'am

Oddometer: 33,615
Let me be the first to say that this thread is guaranteed to not end well or go as you thought it would.

If you are getting attention then you are probably going significantly faster than traffic around you, and yeah, you're going to get tickets.

Slow down and live longer.

Quis custodiet ipros custodes?
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:52 AM   #3
DudeClone OP
Beastly Adventurer

well i am not sure that is true. and i am not speeding. that is why i say pretty sure i an on my way to a ticket. if i am being noticed when not speeding, what about if i do, a little?

just saying i have been rocketing down the road on my scoots for a few years now and police never even bothered to glance. now i can be sitting at an intersection and police seem to give me an eye or two when passing :(

how might this thread not go well? i am not sure i am expecting anything out of it except some good speeding ticket stories
Old 03-05-2014, 02:55 AM   #4
DudeClone OP
Beastly Adventurer

i need to fly below the radar
Old 03-05-2014, 03:23 AM   #5
chippertheripper
motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 2,148
Easy answer: sell the fizzle for another scooter. Maybe one of those fancy jobbers.

1. I got 1 ticket. And it was enough to ruin that bike for me. So I sold it, and bought a street bike and a track bike. No more dual duty, slightly less temptation. But, like a scooter, nobody is looking at a fuglystrada with full luggage either. You've gotta give the illusion you're doing nothing wrong.
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Life is too short to crash on a bike you don't respect
chippertheripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:05 AM   #6
tvpierce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
+1

Saddlebags have a Jedi-mind-control effect on LEO.

Saddlebags = old man = not speeding. Whether the shoe fits or not, that's the perception.

"But I had the right of way!" makes a pretty crappy epitaph.
tvpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:13 AM   #7
Benduro
Banned

Oddometer: 2,256
And saddlebags on a dirtbike? Even better. I can go 90mph in front of a cop on the freeway, and he won't even bat an eye.
Benduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:20 AM   #8
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benduro View Post
And saddlebags on a dirtbike? Even better. I can go 90mph in front of a cop on the freeway, and he won't even bat an eye.
I have only ever gotten two awards for speeding on bikes. Even had a few red ones. Seems pretty good since I've never followed any speed limits ever unless there was a cop right there watching.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:45 AM   #9
tommysmothers
Flamesuit equipped

Oddometer: 195
Riding slow lets you speed up for giggles when the situation allows.

No tickets, no plan on getting any.
tommysmothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:05 AM   #10
mongox
ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer: 2,520
Ride smart, don't weave alot, and don't ride a sport bike and the leo's will pretty much leave you alone. If you are an experienced rider and ride as such, the leo's will let you get away with a little extra speed, at least during commute hours. If being a hooligan out on the back roads, all bets are off.

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music" unknown
mongox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:16 AM   #11
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Oddometer: 739
Dress and ride like an old, slow, careful rider-survivor and you'll not have ticket troubles.

Hi visibility safety vest, helmet, gloves, boots on your body. (add jacket and long/leather pants for extra credit)

Long following distances, signalling all turns and lane changes, making room for others to do their dumb stuff.

Riding at or below the limit most of the time - even when the road looks wide open....

Some folks look at tickets as just the cost of doing business. Might be more sensible than my practice of total avoidance but I just don't want to meet Office Friendly when I'm out riding.....

My last ticket was in 1977. In the cage. In a very special speed trap in Haymarket, Va.

"I may be old, but I'm slow."

Previous- XT350, CB900F, XL185S, GS425E
Gripsteruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:17 AM   #12
TN3Sport
East TN DS Rider

Oddometer: 189
Zero. I don't speed a whole lot in urban areas.

Plus...
I ride a jap bike. The digital speedo's on jap bikes run high. As much as 7% high. That likely creates a bit of psychological limiter for me. i.e. If the speed limit is 45 mph. I'll usually cruise through at about 54 mph as indicated on my digital Suzuki dash. However, the real speed I'm traveling is likely 49 mph. And that is not fast enough to draw the attention of most LEO's.

When I do get a ticket. It will more likely be from not stopping completely at a stop sign when making a right turn or running a red light in Georgia. I'm in TN and a motorcycle can run red lights, providing a certain protocol. But, I ride a lot in Georgia and they require you wait like 3 minutes at a light before running it on a motorcycle. (Again, I dont ride much in urban areas.)
TN3Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:42 AM   #13
tick-tock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Old man bikes don't always work to keep you out of trouble. I got a ticket on a V-Strom 1000 with hard bags. I thought looking ugly and slow would help, but only up to a point, I guess.
tick-tock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:25 AM   #14
DaLunk
Confused and Bemused

Oddometer: 662
Never a speeding ticket on a bike for me. Illegal turn once though. I ride like an old man (oh wait...I am an old man...) these days. I don't know how much that matters. I remember coming down route 81 decades ago on a 2-stroke Kawi triple at a bit over 80mph and there sat the officer on the inside of a turn, me streaming a solid train of 2-stroke perfume behind me, and all he did was make a 'slow down' hand motion.

The officers might be eyeing up that red bike as you go by and thinking it's pretty nice. Even the police admire a nice bike. It's when the put the lights on that you'll know they are looking to give a ticket.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:51 AM   #15
Need For Speed
Ridin' fool(ishly)

Oddometer: 115
Cool2

I find wearing full gear and trying to blend in works for me. There is a time and place for extralegal speeds, and it's not in town

That, a radar detector, and I rock a top box all the time on my XX. I consider it a cloaking device - I noticed I get a lot less looks from LEO's when I roll by vs when I didn't have it.

The ultimate is this one though, they look right through me - but so does the driving public. I ride accordingly...

'13 ZX14R - fulfiller of adrenaline needs
It's the journey, NOT the destination
Need For Speed is offline   Reply With Quote