Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > ADVrider annual rallies
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2014, 07:43 AM   #1816
oneway
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Thanks!! I know you guys are undertaking a huge task. I owe you a beer.Hope you like Tecate. Con limon.
oneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:00 AM   #1817
Rotex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Great post, got me stoked. The time elapse of Butte Mountain looked awesome.
Thanks,
Old 03-05-2014, 08:16 AM   #1818
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider914 View Post
Awesome pics and vid Finn
(Also more in the DV conditions thread.)

Pretty sure I know where this is, but not 100%.
Been several yrs since was there and maybe was just someplace similar.
Care to share the location? (or shoot me a PM if'n its a secret)

-M

Thank you!

It's no secret, those switchbacks are going up to a mine not far after Golar Wash heading towards mengal pass. Just look for the buildings and old equipment and turn right up the mountain.
It's places like this that are easily missed if you're in a big group on a big loop ride in a hurry to go far, take the time to explore off the common routes and there's much more to be seen.

heirhead:

Those rocks are the steps in Echo Canyon, was a bit challenging on a loaded bike but good times either way. Glad I had my helmet on...

Joel:

Thanks! will try not to promote DV anymore, you guys have it hard enough as it is without more PM's... lol
Though I did meet some Adventurers while in DV and told them to beg you to be able to come on out for n00bs.

Thank you all for the kind words, I'm glad you like my work.
Get out there and explore! and STOP to smell the flowers while you're at it is my suggestion.

-Finn

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:22 AM   #1819
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Cry This is torturing

Finn's pictures and video are not helping either
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #1820
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliverator View Post
Joel has mentioned to me that there will be a base station in camp and a certain number of participants who are licensed. Does it make sense to have a list of participants with call signs and radios they are bringing in one location? What frequency(ies) will we be using? Are there those with familiarity of how best to make use of the radios, broadcast distances for example, and realistic protocols once ride groups start going out?

Similarly, it would seem that many of you, unlike me, have a current and detailed familiarity with DV. Would it be possible for us to create a list in one location with of all the available fuel stops, hours of operation, other services available, phone numbers, and other info knowledgeable folks know we may need? For example, in one post I recall a location with only 87 Octane fuel mentioned, and I am curious about whether a location will take plastic.

Deliverator KJ6MIW

Hello Campsite Mate !

Here is some fuel stop information:

DISTANCE BETWEEN GAS STATIONS (ALL PAVEMENT MILES)

OLANCHA TO PANAMINT SPRINGS: 46 MILES
PANAMINT SPRINGS TO TRONA: 48 MILES
PANAMINT SPRINGS TO STOVEPIPE WELLS: 31 MILES
STOVEPIPE WELLS TO BEATTY: 34 MILES
STOVEPIPE WELLS TO FURNACE CREEK: 24 MILES

Also Lone Pine and Shoshone has fuel. Lots of people ride over North Pass and out to Lone Pine to refuel.

Stovepipe ONLY HAS 87 octane.

I think all of these try to have 24 hours with cards. Carry cash for payment to other inmates with supertanker bikes.

Beware, the power has gone out (no fuel) at Shoshone before. Same is possible at Panamint Springs since they run only on generator power.

Regarding Ham's

My friends Tony and Don in RV spaces 10 and 11 are experienced Hams and can help with that set up... I have no experience.

spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:10 AM   #1821
Deliverator
not a replicant

Oddometer: 78
Available fuel stops in or near Death Valley

Just to confirm, there is fuel available 24/7, payable by credit card, at the following locations:

Lone Pine
Olancha
Panamint Springs
Trona
Stovepipe Wells (87 octane only)
Beatty
Furnace Creek
Shoshone

Do any of these locations have services available in the event of a break down or needed repairs such as towing? Should we have a means of contacting Shoshone and Panamint Springs to confirm they are operating?

Thanks

P.S. I thought to PM you but that was not possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer View Post
Hello Campsite Mate !

Here is some fuel stop information:

DISTANCE BETWEEN GAS STATIONS (ALL PAVEMENT MILES)

OLANCHA TO PANAMINT SPRINGS: 46 MILES
PANAMINT SPRINGS TO STOVEPIPE WELLS: 31 MILES
STOVEPIPE WELLS TO BEATTY: 34 MILES
STOVEPIPE WELLS TO FURNACE CREEK: 24 MILES

Also Lone Pine and Shoshone has fuel. Lots of people ride over North Pass and out to Lone Pine to refuel.

Stovepipe ONLY HAS 87 octane.

I think all of these try to have 24 hours with cards. Carry cash for payment to other inmates with supertanker bikes.

Beware, the power has gone out (no fuel) at Shoshone before. Same is possible at Panamint Springs since they run only on generator power.

Regarding Ham's

My friends Tony and Don in RV spaces 10 and 11 are experienced Hams and can help with that set up... I have no experience.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:39 AM   #1822
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,059
Deliverator - this has all been discussed earlier.

Aside from gas, there are no mechanic services in DV. Lone Pine and Beatty are the only two places that have mechanic services. Better bet is Ridgecrest.

If your bike breaks down, we normally have a few people that will venture out to retrieve you and your bike. Between all of us, there is normally enough expertise and spare parts to get your bike operational, if not, somebody manages to make space for a rider and broken bike to get home from Panamint.

So, make sure your bike, gear, and yourself are in good shape for the weekend and enjoy DV! Have cash with you and you'll be fine.
tbarstow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #1823
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 487
Just catching up on this thread, been working a ton lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bike View Post
Well, I broke my leg. And I wasn't even riding!
I was rolling the bike up the ramp into the van to drive up to ride in the desert and I was having a hard time with the last oomph over the lip so I did what I did last time, carefully snuck around to the front. This time instead of pulling in the bike I got almost to the front and I think the front wheel turned right and that caused the bike to start going over. I tried to save it and the next thing I knew I heard this horrible noise as my right knee went SIDEWAYS.....

Finished dropping the bike to end up laying in the back of the van thinking I had torn an acl and dislocated my knee. After my neighbors got my bike put away, locked up my house and then called for an ambulance. Got xrayed at the er and my tibia is broken in 2 places right below my knee.

I'm laying here with ice feeling very sorry for myself. Getting taken care of by friends and my uncle. Off to Kaiser in Riverside for Otho appt and to see if surgery is in the cards.

I am sooooooo going to miss riding with you all and meeting new people from the forum.

Ride on folks and have a great time!
Oh, man I am sorry. I have broken 11 bones myself and had two surgeries result. Actually saw the exact break you have happen in front of me one time. It's pretty gnarly. Truth is, they've gotten a lot better at treating these types of injuries and the bone does grow back stronger-my wrist has enough metal in it to literally set off airport detectors but it's strong as hell. You will come out great at the end of the day.

Bummer shooby and I can't ride with you down to the event though.

Make sure to take your bone supplements every day for at least 90 days-any health food store will have them. Also a supplement called "Cissus" that I actually learned about from this forum (and shooby) is amazing for bone/joint/ligament treatment and pain management. It works better than ibuprofen or an NSAID with none of the downsides. Take it. It works.
stoke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:15 PM   #1824
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bike View Post
Well, I broke my leg. And I wasn't even riding!
I was rolling the bike up the ramp into the van to drive up to ride in the desert and I was having a hard time with the last oomph over the lip so I did what I did last time, carefully snuck around to the front. This time instead of pulling in the bike I got almost to the front and I think the front wheel turned right and that caused the bike to start going over. I tried to save it and the next thing I knew I heard this horrible noise as my right knee went SIDEWAYS.....

Finished dropping the bike to end up laying in the back of the van thinking I had torn an acl and dislocated my knee. After my neighbors got my bike put away, locked up my house and then called for an ambulance. Got xrayed at the er and my tibia is broken in 2 places right below my knee.

I'm laying here with ice feeling very sorry for myself. Getting taken care of by friends and my uncle. Off to Kaiser in Riverside for Otho appt and to see if surgery is in the cards.

I am sooooooo going to miss riding with you all and meeting new people from the forum.

Ride on folks and have a great time!

Oh NO!

I'm very sorry to hear that and will miss seeing you again this year. Nancy was looking forward to meeting you.

I have a EXOGEN 4000+ Bone Healing System that will help speed up your recovery. Ask your doctor about it, it's an expensive system that most insurance companies don't cover. Shoot me a PM and I'll loan it to you if you want it.
You can learn more about how it works here:

http://www.exogen.com/patients/

-Finn

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:15 PM   #1825
THRASHED
Moving on Up

Oddometer: 224
My Loss, Someone's Gain

Well, it looks like after 49 years I have still not figured out how to read a calendar. I somehow ignored the fact that the dates for DV conflict with some serious previous obligations. I am NOT HAPPY about this but ultimately I would have had to choose this route anyway.

Hope you all have a great time. Ride Safe.

Scott
THRASHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:18 PM   #1826
1224R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,712
Bring basic tools....
Make sure your bike is dialed..

Know how to change your tire/tube....

That's 75 percent guarantee you are going to have a good time...
Old 03-05-2014, 02:38 PM   #1827
FTL900
White and nerdy

Oddometer: 263
New tires on the way!! I'm gonna try the Pirelli XMCH, I've head good things about them, and my current tires are missing a few of the knobs... probably laying within a few miles of Furnace Creek.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:08 PM   #1828
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
It's no secret, those switchbacks are going up to a mine not far after Golar Wash heading towards mengal pass. Just look for the buildings and old equipment and turn right up the mountain.
It's places like this that are easily missed if you're in a big group on a big loop ride in a hurry to go far, take the time to explore off the common routes and there's much more to be seen.

Joel:

Thanks! will try not to promote DV anymore, you guys have it hard enough as it is without more PM's... lol
Though I did meet some Adventurers while in DV and told them to beg you to be able to come on out for n00bs.

Thank you all for the kind words, I'm glad you like my work.
Get out there and explore! and STOP to smell the flowers while you're at it is my su ggestion.

-Finn
no need for a $2k camera and$3k lens. finn your pictures is the testament that a medium priced camera, optimum light condition and a patient photographer could produce outstanding pics.

yes we will stop and smell the flowers (as i alwaysdo)....

j/k on posting pics....brung em...let's make scubalong suffer....
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:17 PM   #1829
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotex View Post
Great post, got me stoked. The time elapse of Butte Mountain looked awesome.
Thanks,
hello jim and myra.....looking forward seeing you guys (2up on GSA) again.
hope you can lead a big bike friendly group ride.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRO-FROM-HELL View Post
I'm out, have fun and ride safe hope to see you next year!

we will miss you diego. got your PM and happy to see you're doing a more worthy cause that taming the 690.

wish you happiness with the kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odiegreen73 View Post
I'll be looking, if someone bails let me know pm me. At fort irwin so would love to get out again this year
odie...wait no more. i will PM you the payment details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THRASHED View Post
Well, it looks like after 49 years I have still not figured out how to read a calendar. I somehow ignored the fact that the dates for DV conflict with some serious previous obligations. I am NOT HAPPY about this but ultimately I would have had to choose this route anyway.

Hope you all have a great time. Ride Safe.

Scott

scott, hope you don't screw up the 50th. just like diego, your cause is worth skipping dvnr.

thanks for the well wishes. will see you in big bear after the snow melts.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:34 PM   #1830
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1224R View Post
Bring basic tools....
Make sure your bike is dialed..

Know how to change your tire/tube....

That's 75 percent guarantee you are going to have a good time...
+1

but there are some lucky PPs...meaning those riding KTMs could get away not bringing any tools since the other guys have them.......we will see the desert filled with oranges.

check this out.
http://www.loupiote.com/photos/7059948555.shtml

seriously folks, no need to duplicate the heavier tools if you're in a group. for example, one brings the air compressor while the other carries the trailside stand and tire levers. this also makes you look after the other rider.