Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 05:07 PM   #16
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
search is hit and miss. an address works 95% of the time. a business name, who knows. I don't let Osmand access the internet though , so its all dine from whatever its database says is there, from whenever it was compiled.

its still great, don't let the few negatives put you off about a very specific feature here or there
Newbie trying to decide which gps route to go and figure all this stuff out. How is Osmand for the 2 and single track map details, and how easy to dl forest service or other detailed maps in?

Oh, not interested in on road nav, only off road and offline.

Loren, somewhere on a DR350SE
doggitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:53 AM   #17
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggitter View Post
Newbie trying to decide which gps route to go and figure all this stuff out. How is Osmand for the 2 and single track map details, and how easy to dl forest service or other detailed maps in?

Oh, not interested in on road nav, only off road and offline.
Osmand works fine for single track, but I prefer the ui and colors of oruxmaps for details that fine.....

this is Osmand with very small file size vector based maps, hillshade and contour lines turned on:

and this is oruxmaps, with an image map (mapnick) used:

its the same area, close to same zoom level. single track is fine with either, but the prefrrernce leans towards Osmand for roads and oruxmaps for no roads. for me. they both have compass cones (and regular compass functions of course) built in, I forgot to turn it on for the Osmand screen shot. a bar sweep usually works great for deciding which way is next for the directionally challenged.

ohgood screwed with this post 03-05-2014 at 04:01 AM
ohgood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:06 AM   #18
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

The thing that worries me about your last post is that these are all rural areas with city streets basically, and my whole goal is getting away from that situation and purposefully going for areas less traveled.

A concern that I realized a couple days ago is that I don't know if map detail vs memory capacity on the phone will be an issue. I assume it's unrealistic to have pretty much the whole state downloaded when one small area was a 29gb file? That was a topo I downloaded and liked, but if there was a non-topo that left out ONLY the topo data I'd prefer it instead.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:13 AM   #19
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 902
Quote:
The thing that worries me about your last post is that these are all rural areas with city streets basically, and my whole goal is getting away from that situation and purposefully going for areas less traveled.

A concern that I realized a couple days ago is that I don't know if map detail vs memory capacity on the phone will be an issue. I assume it's unrealistic to have pretty much the whole state downloaded when one small area was a 29gb file? That was a topo I downloaded and liked, but if there was a non-topo that left out ONLY the topo data I'd prefer it instead.

You want vector maps, not tile or raster maps. Vector maps are much more compact.
Go to the OSM map site here:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14....1084&layers=N

Find the area you are interested in, and check if there is the detail that you want. The area I pointed to is all gravel/dirt & forest roads. But I admit that I don't do a lot of offroad riding, so it may not do what you need.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:45 AM   #20
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

I don't see a way to plot a route on OSM, is that not available?

Old 03-05-2014, 10:54 AM   #21
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
You want vector maps, not tile or raster maps. Vector maps are much more compact.
Go to the OSM map site here:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14....1084&layers=N

Find the area you are interested in, and check if there is the detail that you want. The area I pointed to is all gravel/dirt & forest roads. But I admit that I don't do a lot of offroad riding, so it may not do what you need.

I looked at a couple areas I know a little about and it does show the roads I'd expect to see.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:58 AM   #22
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 902
Quote:
You may need OSMand+.
Press and hold on the destinate and you should get a pop up.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:40 PM   #23
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

alabama (entire state) vector based map + contour lines + hillshading = 160Mb total, in three different files, good for about 200ft view on screen
these look GREAT, street names do not pixelate, roads do not blur, it's raster/vector based, super neato stuff.

alabama (entire state) image based (mapnick) = 3.2Gb, in file spread across zoom levels 10-16, good for about 400ft views on screen
these look good, street names and contours will pixelate at higher zoom levels, say 16 x 400% digitally zoomed

alabama, talledega national forrest, image based google terrain = 34Mb zoom levels 10-16
alabama, TNF, image based mapnick = 40Mb zoom levels 10-16
alabama, TNF, image based google satellite view = about 70Mb, 10-16
alabama, TNF, vector based (found on the internets ;-) ) very nice vector based topo maps = 10Mb

there are so many sources for maps, it is incredible to me. i'm finding new sources for vector based maps daily.

i personally have no reservations about heading off a dirt road with just a vector based map to find a campsite where my buddies are already waiting. i may hit every dead end (btdt!) along the way, but that's part of the fun.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #24
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
three ways:

long press, it pops up a GPS data box, touch that box and a new dialogue pops up, giving you the options of:
directions to
set as destination
search near here
share location
etc

same as before, but add waypoints to the routing, and you can select specific places along the route

view a GPX file from the dialoge. you can choose to navigate along that path if you like.

it's nifty
Old 03-05-2014, 08:27 PM   #25
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

So let say I chose OSMand+ as a base to work off of, it will work with the government maps (MVUM or MUVM or whatever it is)? I can use it for nav? Anything it can't/won't do that I'll want it to?

Old 03-06-2014, 03:01 AM   #26
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So let say I chose OSMand+ as a base to work off of, it will work with the government maps (MVUM or MUVM or whatever it is)? I can use it for nav? Anything it can't/won't do that I'll want it to?
I'm looking for a usgs download for mvum, then I'll try it as an additional layer. do you have a link to the maps in question?

navigation, yes
could you define everything you need it to do in a list?
Old 05-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #27
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,302
Quote:
why not here ?

Osmand+, completely offline, and/or off road planning, routing, tracking, onroad tbt navigation, with or without redirection, great maps, and also beautiful:

high detail zoom with vector maps, topo and hill shading:

you might notice Osmand has something interesting in the lower left, a motorcycle icon.... it can route/guide according to profiles that you set: car, boat, walking, motorcycle, fastest/shortest/etc
This motorcycle appmode, how do I get this.
Installed free osmand, but there is only profile general car bicycle pedestrian.

I tried to search it, could not find it.

What I did find.

Nice that we can change all colors and thickness at all zoomlevels with the default vectormapbase, by using a XXX.render.xml mapstyle.

So you can make your own map how you would like it. Overrule the default mapstyle.
highway=track usally is a brown dashed thin line, zooming out it is more narrow and disappear, stile the motorways are thick and good visible. Now we can make motorways a different color say dark gray and make track a bright color thicker and show the on zoom out map, to get a more overview area and still see those track.

we compare screenshot oruxmap and osmand, and say osmand oruxmap is good or bad.
We must compare the software and say good or bad
then
we must compare maps, which we like most
but keep in mind we can change that. by yourself if it are vector maps

raster maps and tilemaps, are cooked, printed like a piece of paper. hardcoded.
so far offline stand alone.

@ohgood, which mapstyle do you use, can you share it.

I believe in the routing style you can change to, did you do that to get a motorcycle routing.

Or is this already in + version?

Myway screwed with this post 05-03-2014 at 04:57 PM
Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:41 PM   #28
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
three ways:

long press, it pops up a GPS data box, touch that box and a new dialogue pops up, giving you the options of:
directions to
set as destination
search near here
share location
etc

same as before, but add waypoints to the routing, and you can select specific places along the route

view a GPX file from the dialoge. you can choose to navigate along that path if you like.

it's nifty
By plotting/making a route I mean a route using the roads I want to travel. I want to stay off hiways and secondary roads as much as I can most of the time, and of the times I've let a nav app do the routing it almost never picks a route I would like to use. In myviewranger I can click points on the map as I go where I want and it turns it into a route, while sitting here at the desktop. Even in Google Maps it's tough to do this as it always thinks it know more of where I need/want to go than I do. By that I mean I'll be happily laying out my route the way I want, I get 2/3 to 3/4 of the way thru it and WHAM! it changes the whole thing to a shorter route. Not what I want. And yes, I have settings changed to avoid hiways, still overrules what I do. It's dammned frustrating as I've redone some routes 3 and 4 times trying to make it work only to give up.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #29
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
This motorcycle appmode, how do I get this.
Installed free osmand, but there is only profile general car bicycle pedestrian.

I tried to search it, could not find it.

What I did find.

Nice that we can change all colors and thickness at all zoomlevels with the default vectormapbase, by using a XXX.render.xml mapstyle.

So you can make your own map how you would like it. Overrule the default mapstyle.
highway=track usally is a brown dashed thin line, zooming out it is more narrow and disappear, stile the motorways are thick and good visible. Now we can make motorways a different color say dark gray and make track a bright color thicker and show the on zoom out map, to get a more overview area and still see those track.

we compare screenshot oruxmap and osmand, and say osmand oruxmap is good or bad.
We must compare the software and say good or bad
then
we must compare maps, which we like most
but keep in mind we can change that. by yourself if it are vector maps

raster maps and tilemaps, are cooked, printed like a piece of paper. hardcoded.
so far offline stand alone.

@ohgood, which mapstyle do you use, can you share it.

I believe in the routing style you can change to, did you do that to get a motorcycle routing.

Or is this already in + version?
I use the nightly versions, and paid for the + version because it rocks so good!

Toy have to turn on debridement options on the settings, then you'll have the PROFILES option to pick the ones you want

To get a nightly, just Google "osmand nightlies download" and grab a recent one to try. Keep in mind, they are all betas in nature, and some work much better than others. This is the one I've been using for w little while with good success:

As far as which map style I use , I believe that question is addressed towards oruxmaps, and I usually use 'hike n bike' on that one. On osmand I lemme it on HIGH CONTRAST usually.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:54 PM   #30
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
By plotting/making a route I mean a route using the roads I want to travel. I want to stay off hiways and secondary roads as much as I can most of the time, and of the times I've let a nav app do the routing it almost never picks a route I would like to use. In myviewranger I can click points on the map as I go where I want and it turns it into a route, while sitting here at the desktop. Even in Google Maps it's tough to do this as it always thinks it know more of where I need/want to go than I do. By that I mean I'll be happily laying out my route the way I want, I get 2/3 to 3/4 of the way thru it and WHAM! it changes the whole thing to a shorter route. Not what I want. And yes, I have settings changed to avoid hiways, still overrules what I do. It's dammned frustrating as I've redone some routes 3 and 4 times trying to make it work only to give up.

Google is optimizing the route as you go... I'm sure it's good (for someone), just not exactly what you're looking for.

In osmand, try adding places via waypoints to the route. It's the only way I've found it will tour commodity off the highways if the distance is over 20 miles or so.