ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2014, 08:25 PM   #1
Mr. Carts OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
We can turn this tragedy in to a win win for all forest users.

"I know it's after the fact, but why in the fuck could they have not ridden some motorcycles up there to search through the night? He was found right on the Main divide for Christ sakes!"

It is a primetime to step up and make it be know that the ADV members are willing to assist in these situations.

If the OCSD, RCSD and USFS know that they could have a group of riders who can assist in a moments notice to help find lost folks.

We would have a big impact public opinion on keeping riding trails open.
Mr. Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:05 PM   #2
hbmichael
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Carts View Post
"I know it's after the fact, but why in the fuck could they have not ridden some motorcycles up there to search through the night? He was found right on the Main divide for Christ sakes!"

It is a primetime to step up and make it be know that the ADV members are willing to assist in these situations.

If the OCSD, RCSD and USFS know that they could have a group of riders who can assist in a moments notice to help find lost folks.

I concur completely! This is partly the blame of all the communities and public agencies that use,maintain,patrol or,profit in the Cleveland National Forest. Many many knowledgable people and resources were available to avert this tragedy. Better COMMUNICATION AND MUTUAL RESPECT is what is needed between hikers, mountain bike riders, equestrians, local authorities, motorcyclists and others.
hbmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:47 AM   #3
Mr. Carts OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We need to get groups that can cover areas.

I can do San Bernardino NF south of the 10, this is Bee Canyon, Idyllwild, Rouse trail , Thomas mountain.

CNF Palomar, South divide road and Tenaja .

I can get to these locations in about a hour or less.

Mr. Carts screwed with this post 03-05-2014 at 11:54 AM
Old 03-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #4
bmwgo
I love moto's

Oddometer: 183
Great idea but....

Quote:

Liability attorneys may keep us moto people from working directly with first responders. First responders may also think us as "being in the way". Great idea that could save lives for sure though.
bmwgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:08 PM   #5
Mr. Carts OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This is a group of guys on bikes that will make sure that this never happens again.

We can be out there long before the LEO show up.

We need to do this ourselves what if it had been one of us up there?

In 1981 my buddy Jim and I went off the side main divide road in a jeep on a Sunday night about 7pm during a storm like the one on Sat.

Jim and I were lucky that some guys came along and found us or we would have been dead.

Some of you might have read the story, Jim put it in his book.

Off-Road Emergency Repair and Survival
by James Ristow

I will not allow this to happen again.

If in anyway I can help to prevent another tragedy from happening.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:44 PM   #6
bmwgo
I love moto's

Quote:
This is a group of guys on bikes that will make sure that this never happens again.

We can be out there long before the LEO show up.

We need to do this ourselves what if it had been one of us up there?

In 1981 my buddy Jim and I went off the side main divide road in a jeep on a Sunday night about 7pm during a storm like the one on Sat.

Jim and I were lucky that some guys came along and found us or we would have been dead.

Some of you might have read the story, Jim put it in his book.

Off-Road Emergency Repair and Survival
by James Ristow

I will not allow this to happen again.

If in anyway I can help to prevent another tragedy from happening.
I hear ya bud. Good idea going in stealth around officials having their coffee at 8am formulating a plan.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:44 PM   #7
mr. thumbs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
Tony Santero
cell 714-878-3405
ibsantero@aol.com

From home I can gear up and be at the MS gate of the CNF in 45 minutes. On bike or by 4x4 truck.

I'll go looking for anyone in need at anytime. 24/7

I'd be happy to compile a list of those willing to help anyone in the event of an emergency in the CNF. If everyone wants to send me their contact info and level of medical training I'll get the ball rolling on this.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:50 PM   #8
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 699
Question nice idea, but...

I'm sure I will get flamed for this, but here's my .02

I am a rider and a firefighter/emt/search/rescue responder with 20+ years experience (NOT in Calif.). Search and rescue is a serious undertaking and we are highly trained professionals. Organizing and executing a search and rescue is a major operation. Good communications are paramount. In the age of scanners etc., volunteers often show up at search and rescue operations eager to help. While lay bystanders do want to help, often when they try to do so they make matters worse. It may be as simple as obscuring the track of the lost party, or making noise that covers an SOS, or as complex as a supposed-rescuer getting lost or injured.

If you want to help, please think about doing it right. I suspect there are volunteer search and rescue units in your area that would welcome folks with local knowledge and outdoor skills who wish to join.

Thanks for listening!

Steven Wright
flei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:54 PM   #9
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by flei View Post

I am a rider and a firefighter/emt/search/rescue responder with 20+ years experience (NOT in Calif.). Search and rescue is a serious undertaking and we are highly trained professionals. Organizing and executing a search and rescue is a major operation. Good communications are paramount. In the age of scanners etc., volunteers often show up at search and rescue operations eager to help. While lay bystanders do want to help, often when they try to do so they make matters worse. It may be as simple as obscuring the track of the lost party, or making noise that covers an SOS, or as complex as a supposed-rescuer getting lost or injured.

If you want to help, please think about doing it right. I suspect there are volunteer search and rescue units in your area that would welcome folks with local knowledge and outdoor skills who wish to join.

Thanks for listening!
Thanks for posting.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #10
bmwgo
I love moto's

Quote:

Thanks for listening!
Much respect brutha. I'm a California native and I've never seen dangerous weather in this state, boy I did in Nebraska though! Real scary actually. I think it was a bad call still, the weather wasn't all that bad really. After all this is California. No flame man....
Old 03-05-2014, 02:59 PM   #11
flynride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:

Thanks for listening!
Didn't an outside volunteer on a Moto find the biker?

The whole point of this is that certain people who are very familiar with specific areas are available to help with specialized and use specific equipment. They should be listed, vetted and available for use.

This will never happen though because of political correctness and current bureaucracy in local government.

flynride screwed with this post 03-05-2014 at 03:11 PM
flynride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:42 PM   #12
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,922
when you find someone that needs rescue then what???

what if they're unconscious?

what if they broke their neck/back but you didn't know and they didn't realize it?

what if they're bleeding out of their eyeballs and ears and mouth??

are you certified in CPR? do you have the proper equipment to stabilize a broken femur/back/neck/ankle etc?

do you carry a winch to get an injured person up the side of the mountain?

great idea and I agree the Sheriff/Forest Service fucked up on this situation, but anyone riding/hiking/camping/etc in the wild, needs to have an out plan. whether it be a Spot/locator beacon or always riding with a buddy or having the proper gear to spend a day or two where ever you lay.

more and more people think they will be saved. wrong mentality. yes, if you subscribe to Spot you hope it will help you but don't rely on it and don't ride over your head.

when I ride alone, I take it down a notch. I also carry (to some people) way too much shit. but I wanna be prepared. even if I know there is civilization within a few miles.
RAZR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #13
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer: 1,230
And when some untrained do-gooder stumbles upon your half dead carcass laying in a ditch all alone after taking a down-a-notch dirt nap you won't be so ultra concerned about his/her credentials.

Spoken by a Red Cross Certified Trainer of Adult/Pediatric/First Responder CPR/AED/First Aid & Wilderness First Aid.

Guests are encouraged.
Jeff aka BOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:58 PM   #14
bmwgo
I love moto's

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
when you find someone that needs rescue then what???

what if they're unconscious?

what if they broke their neck/back but you didn't know and they didn't realize it?

what if they're bleeding out of their eyeballs and ears and mouth??

are you certified in CPR? do you have the proper equipment to stabilize a broken femur/back/neck/ankle etc?

You do your best.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:06 PM   #15
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynride View Post
Didn't an outside volunteer on a Moto find the biker?

The whole point of this is that certain people who are very familiar with specific areas are available to help with specialized and use specific equipment. They should be listed, vetted and available for use.

This will never happen though because of political correctness and current bureaucracy in local government.
I don't live in Calif. and don't know who found the biker. If it was a volunteer who was allowed to search, then what is this thread complaining about?

At least here out East, search and rescue teams are composed of local people who ARE familiar with specific areas (ie, local fire/rescue, forest service, etc.). People who are "specialized" and "use specific equipment" ARE a part of these teams (ie, high-angle rescue, confined space rescue, mountain rescue, swift water, ice, etc.). We can use highly specialized equipment (climbing gear, ATV's, rescue sleds, infrared cameras, helicopters, dogs, etc.). How many lay-people have access to such resources? The truth is, there are a lot of variables and sometimes rescue efforts fail and people die.

Not sure what you mean to imply by "political correctness" and "current bureaucracy". If you mean that governmental agencies don't want to let lay-people engage in dangerous activities (like mountain search and rescue) because if THEY get hurt trying to help the government is liable, then, yeah, you are right!

Steven Wright
flei is offline   Reply With Quote