ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2014, 01:38 PM   #31
Mr. Cob OP
Howling "Mad", Adventurer
 
Mr. Cob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Falls, Washington State, USA
Oddometer: 9,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSnovice View Post
I think I like the cut of your jib, Mr Cob, pity you're only in the west this trip and we can't meet for a beer. McCardigan is the man you need to ask the above question!
Howdy GSnovice,

OK, now I know what your going on about. McCardigan and I have had discussions involving "Jock". In fact I started a thread on this your local forum in support of a man I call friend as you folks say mate, Jock is one the best blokes I have ever met and I'll stand by him even if sometimes he may be a bit of a arse and hard to understand when he's talking into his beard.

As to Chris and Jock, this photo taken at the last OCR pretty wells sums it up.
__________________
Dave, aka "Mr. Cob"

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:30 PM   #32
GSnovice
Beer me up, Scotty!
 
GSnovice's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: SE Qld
Oddometer: 1,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy GSnovice,

OK, now I know what your going on about. McCardigan and I have had discussions involving "Jock". In fact I started a thread on this your local forum in support of a man I call friend as you folks say mate, Jock is one the best blokes I have ever met and I'll stand by him even if sometimes he may be a bit of a arse and hard to understand when he's talking into his beard.

As to Chris and Jock, this photo taken at the last OCR pretty wells sums it up.
Yeah, I followed your thread with interest and thought you mounted a sterling defence, to no avail. I was just doing a bit of low-level mod-baiting, but none were biting - this is probably why I don't own a fishing rod!
Enjoy WA and watch out for Dumbleyung Dave - I'm sure he'll be along shortly to extol the virtues of the west.
__________________
Harley Davidson - The best way to convert petrol to noise without the side effect of horsepower.
GSnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:44 AM   #33
MIXR
Studly Adventurer
 
MIXR's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Oddometer: 663
Prepare for invasion!

Mr Cob (Dave) now has in his possession a full set of Hema maps, so we are ripe for invasion. He's got the A3 Road and 4WD atlas so most of the 'sights' are covered, as are the more remote towns and localities.

Once he has a chance to study the best way to invade the west (or east, or south, or whatever), I'm sure some good options will be presented for comment.

Whatever comes up, any recommendations from this end should take into account that Dave now has hard maps to check the fine detail often missing on Google Maps and other electronic mapping programs. You will be able to get down and dirty with where to go and what to see.

I figured that might help. Cheers guys. Mick.
__________________
And so ends my 'Adventure' era (SOLD)
IBA # 39193
MIXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:20 AM   #34
McCardigan
happy Budda
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Back on the road again
Oddometer: 2,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIXR View Post
Mr Cob (Dave) now has in his possession a full set of Hema maps, so we are ripe for invasion. He's got the A3 Road and 4WD atlas so most of the 'sights' are covered, as are the more remote towns and localities.

Once he has a chance to study the best way to invade the west (or east, or south, or whatever), I'm sure some good options will be presented for comment.

Whatever comes up, any recommendations from this end should take into account that Dave now has hard maps to check the fine detail often missing on Google Maps and other electronic mapping programs. You will be able to get down and dirty with where to go and what to see.

I figured that might help. Cheers guys. Mick.

You are a good man Mick,

Dave has transport here in Oz, although his military mates might be a bit aghast that he would be riding a sidecar called Rommel

Such is life.

Chris
__________________
Keep me searching for a heart of gold, and I'm getting old (Neil Young)
Still homeless, armless and legless,

And proud 7th Day Adventourist
McCardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:39 AM   #35
Dave Ward
Not enough riding...
 
Dave Ward's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Albany, Western Australia
Oddometer: 1,667
Mr Cob will be welcome to travel through WA, as long as he's aware of our state border restrictions.

We have some strict rules about what is allowed to cross from the corrupted "other states" into WA, and the one he has to most aware of is that he may not bring McCardigan with him....

__________________
Dave.
F650 GS Dakar

Light travels faster than sound, which must be why when I meet some people they seem bright - until I hear them speak.
Dave Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:51 AM   #36
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer
 
MODNROD's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Midwest, West Oz
Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIXR View Post
I'm sure you get the idea. It's a remote part of the country and there are long stretches of nothing between the somethings. I love the west and have been there three times now, but the days are long on the bike. Bit like this out Longreach way.

Nice driveway mate! You can tell it's in Queensland, it's got green shit either side, and it's sealed. They're all rich over there, our driveways have neither.


Don't listen to all the nay-sayers Dave, it's God's own country out here, and you need years just to scratch the surface.
Bloody lovely!
__________________
This Signature line is intentionally left blank.
MODNROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:57 AM   #37
McCardigan
happy Budda
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Back on the road again
Oddometer: 2,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ward View Post
Mr Cob will be welcome to travel through WA, as long as he's aware of our state border restrictions.

We have some strict rules about what is allowed to cross from the corrupted "other states" into WA, and the one he has to most aware of is that he may not bring McCardigan with him....

Rommel never worried about border crossings, he usually got his way

Up yours sweet heart

30 love

Chris
__________________
Keep me searching for a heart of gold, and I'm getting old (Neil Young)
Still homeless, armless and legless,

And proud 7th Day Adventourist
McCardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:08 AM   #38
Eaglebeak
Aussie BM rider, West Oz.
 
Eaglebeak's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Perth.
Oddometer: 1,835
Dave, I am writing this while sitting on a drill rig on the ocean off the WA coast.
I work 28 days on and then have 28 days off, if your travel times fit in with my time off the rig I'll do some riding with you.
When I am not on the rig I live near the port of Fremantle, which is the port for Perth, the capital city of Western Australia.
You are more than welcome to stay at my place, I have plenty of space and you can borrow my outfit when we ride (Suzuki GSX 1400). I'd post a pic but our sat internet connection on the rig is too slow.

I have a BMW R1150R I can ride while you come to grips with the power of the 1400 !
I have ridden a fair bit of WA and I am sure there are many other West Oz riders we can annoy on our travels.
BTW, the far south coast of WA is a delight. Esperance, etc

I'll keep an eye on this thread or you can PM me for my private e-mail address.

Andrew Linton

ps Below are links to some trip reports I have written, to give you some ideas.



http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325501

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217250


http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10337


http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114566


http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439729


http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=591107







Eaglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:27 AM   #39
Mr. Cob OP
Howling "Mad", Adventurer
 
Mr. Cob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Falls, Washington State, USA
Oddometer: 9,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIXR View Post
Mr Cob (Dave) now has in his possession a full set of Hema maps, so we are ripe for invasion. He's got the A3 Road and 4WD atlas so most of the 'sights' are covered, as are the more remote towns and localities.

Once he has a chance to study the best way to invade the west (or east, or south, or whatever), I'm sure some good options will be presented for comment.

Whatever comes up, any recommendations from this end should take into account that Dave now has hard maps to check the fine detail often missing on Google Maps and other electronic mapping programs. You will be able to get down and dirty with where to go and what to see.

I figured that might help. Cheers guys. Mick.
G/day Mick,

Mate I can't thank you enough for this atlas, I received it yesterday, spent three hours looking it over before I sent a THANK YOU PM. Today I plan to wear a few more pages out.
__________________
Dave, aka "Mr. Cob"

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:33 AM   #40
Mr. Cob OP
Howling "Mad", Adventurer
 
Mr. Cob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Falls, Washington State, USA
Oddometer: 9,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCardigan View Post
You are a good man Mick,

Dave has transport here in Oz, although his military mates might be a bit aghast that he would be riding a sidecar called Rommel

Such is life.

Chris
G/day Chris,

Ja, mine family vas vonce from Germany, Ich feel at home on das machine ja. Don't laugh to hard I can't speak English either.

If this all works out I would be honored to take you up on your offer of transport and would hope to enlist your services as tour guide as well. The last thing you blokes need is some crazy Yank wandering around your country unattended.
__________________
Dave, aka "Mr. Cob"

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:38 AM   #41
Mr. Cob OP
Howling "Mad", Adventurer
 
Mr. Cob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Falls, Washington State, USA
Oddometer: 9,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ward View Post
Mr Cob will be welcome to travel through WA, as long as he's aware of our state border restrictions.

We have some strict rules about what is allowed to cross from the corrupted "other states" into WA, and the one he has to most aware of is that he may not bring McCardigan with him....
G/day Dave,

Well as us Yanks say, thems fightin words. If Chris ain't welcome ya darn sure don't want me Then again I can see where you guys may be concerned with two loose cannons doing a rideabout in your territory teamed up as it were.
__________________
Dave, aka "Mr. Cob"

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:47 AM   #42
Mr. Cob OP
Howling "Mad", Adventurer
 
Mr. Cob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Falls, Washington State, USA
Oddometer: 9,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by MODNROD View Post
Nice driveway mate! You can tell it's in Queensland, it's got green shit either side, and it's sealed. They're all rich over there, our driveways have neither.


Don't listen to all the nay-sayers Dave, it's God's own country out here, and you need years just to scratch the surface.
Bloody lovely!
G/day MODNROD,

Should I ever make it to your side of the continent, it would be my pleasure to tip a brew with you and hopefully share some miles in the saddle with you.

However when it come to beer, I must admit I was very disappointed in the beers that I sampled whilst in Oz. Now don't take this the wrong way, I fully understand you blokes may still carry a grudge against the Brits but the bloody bastards do how to brew a good beer and the Belgians are the beer masters at least in my experience.

The next time I come to Oz I think I'll stick to drinking whisky but I'll have to smuggle in my own its to bloody expensive down under.
__________________
Dave, aka "Mr. Cob"

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:52 AM   #43
Mr. Cob OP
Howling "Mad", Adventurer
 
Mr. Cob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Falls, Washington State, USA
Oddometer: 9,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
Dave, I am writing this while sitting on a drill rig on the ocean off the WA coast.
I work 28 days on and then have 28 days off, if your travel times fit in with my time off the rig I'll do some riding with you.
When I am not on the rig I live near the port of Fremantle, which is the port for Perth, the capital city of Western Australia.
You are more than welcome to stay at my place, I have plenty of space and you can borrow my outfit when we ride (Suzuki GSX 1400). I'd post a pic but our sat internet connection on the rig is too slow.

I have a BMW R1150R I can ride while you come to grips with the power of the 1400 !
I have ridden a fair bit of WA and I am sure there are many other West Oz riders we can annoy on our travels.
BTW, the far south coast of WA is a delight. Esperance, etc

I'll keep an eye on this thread or you can PM me for my private e-mail address.

Andrew Linton

ps Below are links to some trip reports I have written, to give you some ideas.



http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325501

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217250


http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10337


http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114566


http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439729


http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=591107







G/day Andrew,

Thank you for your most generous offer of transport and tour guide services, you never know what may happen, I just might take you up on your offer.

Thank you for posting links to your ride reports, looks like I have some more home work to do. I have found read ride reports is a very good way to get a feel for a place one has not been and to see if only in photos places one may never get the chance to visit.
__________________
Dave, aka "Mr. Cob"

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:44 PM   #44
3legs
Real men ride sidecars
 
3legs's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Adelaide,South Oz
Oddometer: 1,069
Dave (Mr Cob) if you happen to pass through Adelaide, South Australia let me know.

Hey McCardigan. Is Rommell alive? Post some photo's.

3legs
3legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:07 AM   #45
Reklaw59
Softroader
 
Reklaw59's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Perth. West Oz
Oddometer: 221
....mmmm beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
G/day MODNROD,


However when it come to beer, I must admit I was very disappointed in the beers that I sampled whilst in Oz. Now don't take this the wrong way, I fully understand you blokes may still carry a grudge against the Brits but the bloody bastards do how to brew a good beer and the Belgians are the beer masters at least in my experience.
Well that's another reason to visit the south west. A healthy choice of microbreweries set in excellent riding country,
(could be a theme happening here).
If you visit Fremantle be sure to slake your thirst at Little Creatures, Sail and Anchor or Clancys.



.
Reklaw59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014