User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2014, 10:18 PM   #1
Sfladvrider OP
Mr.n00b

Oddometer: 164
crystal river rides ?

going up to crystal river for spring break would love to go for some nice rides, any suggestions?

R.I.P '88 Honda cb1, '07 Honda crf 230, '12 Honda cbr 600rr

USCG 100 ton captain , Padi Divemaster , EMT (future paramedic) , FL Waterman .
Sfladvrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:08 AM   #2
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfladvrider View Post
going up to crystal river for spring break would love to go for some nice rides, any suggestions?
Check out ozello trail, neat ride, good restaurant at the end of the road.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:43 PM   #3
Philip Kuntz
Fleasy Rider

Oddometer: 4,765
We went to Peck's a couple of weeks ago, the grouper was terrible. We prefer to eat at the little tiki bar thing 1/2 way out on the right. Better food and service. Can't go wrong with shrimp at either place.

Check out Devil's Hammock too, you can ride a street bike through there. I think its the very last entrance on the right when you are headed toward Cedar Key on 24. Limerock road, can be done on a street bike. There is one water crossing, its not bad at all, rock bottom. They are loose so carry a little speed, I have done it 2 up on a Vstrom. Saw a lot of wildlife out there too.
Philip Kuntz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:04 AM   #4
outridingagain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Ozello Trail "The tail of the Grouper"

2010 BMW R1200 GSA
2013 KTM 500 XC-W
outridingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #5
Philip Kuntz
Fleasy Rider

Oddometer: 4,765
Here is a good resource:

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/states/fl.html
Philip Kuntz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:28 AM   #6
DirtMedic
Intrepid Explorer

Oddometer: 154
I sent Sfladvrider a pm inviting him to ride and he took me up on the offer. We had a blast yesterday. We met up at the Circle K on 19 and then went down Ozello Trail. I started out a little fast until I realized he wasn't behind me. At the end of Ozello Trail he explained that he rides more conservatively with his girlfriend on the back. I certainly respect that. I slowed it down. After Ozello, I took them over to Istachatta and Floral City to run up Lingle Road to Istachatta Road to Trail's End to Gobbler Road. We stopped along the way to point out some of the more unique history of the area.

I also took them out to the 1920's fish camp at the end of Trail's End. It is now a very poor area and a little scary looking with the run down mobile homes and confederate flags. They hung with me though. At the end is a really idyllic view of the Withlacoochee River with the old docks, fish camp and general store. It also used to be a stop for the paddle wheel ferry that operated on the river. Just behind the general store is a cypress tree that has a 23 foot girth not too far into the swamp. It is probably 600 to 900 years old. The people may be poor and make Swamp People look well groomed and normal, but they are very nice and friendly.

We were able to get in a lot of scenic views, a lot of twisties and sweeping curves, and I was able to show them some interesting history of our area. I also would point at things of interest as we rode by. Towards the end of the ride I saw a large turkey on my left coming out of the woods and as I pointed at it wouldn't you know it? That turkey decided it would be a good idea to try and take flight in front of me. A DR650 doesn't have the best brakes, but it got the job done and I missed him by about a foot.

We ended the ride with a hidden cemetery that I know of that is 140 years old and then spent some time talking and getting to know each other better before parting ways. This experience is one of the reasons I love motorcycling and this website. We were able to make contact, share a fun day, and end the day as new friends.

I really enjoyed meeting them and we have a lot in common. I am looking forward to riding with them again.

[IMG][/IMG]
At the end of Ozello Trail

[IMG][/IMG]
In front of Bubbles the Manatee at Homossassa State Park

[IMG][/IMG]
Our local headless dinosaur on C.R. 476

[IMG][/IMG]
Buying some honey and homemade jam from a rural roadside stand

[IMG][/IMG]
Checking out a WWII half track

[IMG][/IMG]
That's not just the ADVrider salute. He is showing you the finger he crushed while closing the engine cowling which is quarter inch thick steel.

[IMG][/IMG]
Boat ramp at the 1920's fish camp

[IMG][/IMG]
A covered dock over the Withlacoochee River

[IMG][/IMG]
These floating docks have seen better days

[IMG][/IMG]
These odd oversized statues are in someones overgrown yard. There are a couple more nearby.

[IMG][/IMG]
The hidden cemetery. There are roughly 8 people buried here in between an old Atlantic Coastal Line railroad and a historic road running through Floral City.

There is always an open invitation to come ride the Brooksville and Citrus County area with me if anyone is out this way. I love any excuse to ride and meet people. PM me and we will see if we can work out our schedules. My contact info is also on my blog in my sig line.

DirtMedic screwed with this post 03-06-2014 at 06:47 AM
DirtMedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:32 AM   #7
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,012
Nice area. Good road to hang out on and watch Harleys run into the ocean on weekends.

Head north to Cedar Key if you have time.
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:49 AM   #8
DirtMedic
Intrepid Explorer

I've spent time up there too. Beautiful area. Goethe forest, Horse Shoe Beach, and the Lower Suwanee River Wildlife Management Areas are all good areas to dual sport as well.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:47 AM   #9
Sfladvrider OP
Mr.n00b

Oddometer: 164
Great time . thanks dirtmedic me and my girl had a amazing time she really enjoyed it. if anyone has time i highly recommend taking dirtmedic up on the offer to ride.

ps, as soon as I got home my knobbys were waiting for me so as soon as i get the time we shall ride.

R.I.P '88 Honda cb1, '07 Honda crf 230, '12 Honda cbr 600rr

USCG 100 ton captain , Padi Divemaster , EMT (future paramedic) , FL Waterman .
Sfladvrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #10
DirtMedic
Intrepid Explorer

Sweet!!! I have even more places to take you off road next time you are up here. I had a great time too. I am still hoping to get down your way in the next month or so. I'll let you know ahead of time if that happens.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:26 AM   #11
clark-kentski
PartiallyBionic

Oddometer: 898
These odd oversized statues are in someones overgrown yard. There are a couple more nearby.

That's Flash's place , I have a house on the water one street over, BMW GS1100 on the front porch and my airboat in the back Great area for both! and yes, stay away from Trails end camp.....

Which one of you FF's was it?...Charter contributor
XR650R ?? Yes Doctor,that's the one.
clark-kentski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #12
1Scorpion
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Hey DirtMedic. I'm a street rider in your area. Just wondering I've been away from riding for a while and I'm looking for some different spots for a breakfast or lunch rides. The guys I normally ride with are always stuck in a rut when it comes to this. Don't get me wrong I enjoy Maw's Vittles in Brooksville, Fl. But I would sometimes like to make a change. Any suggestions ?
By the way great pics.
1Scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #13
clark-kentski
PartiallyBionic

Oddometer: 898
Good riding area and good eats https://www.facebook.com/LakeLindseyMallAndDeli

Which one of you FF's was it?...Charter contributor
XR650R ?? Yes Doctor,that's the one.
clark-kentski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:16 PM   #14
DirtMedic
Intrepid Explorer

I live just a few miles from the Lake Lindsey Mall. They make a great sub and for breakfast I usually get their biscuits and sausage gravy. Riverside on 476 near the Withlacoochee River is another good stop.

As for curvy runs, I like starting in the south side of Hernando County and taking Culbreath Road to Powell to Spring Lake Highway to Mondon Hill to Weatherly to Croom to Dempsey and following all those twists and name changes until it dumps out on 476 and Daly. From there turn right on 476 and then left on Lingle heading up into Istachatta bearing right on Istachatta Road to 48. Right on 48. Left on Trail's End and then running out Gobbler to Old Floral City Road and south to Shamrock's for lunch.

That is a good fast run with lots of curves that I take friends on that dumps out in Floral City where we can go to Shamrock's for something to eat. We can then hit the Citrus Tract for some offroad action and then if we have time I take them over to Ozello Trail. That is usually all we have time for in a day if someone is coming up for a day.

Bushnell also has some great back roads that have some nice turns. They laid their roads out along large agricultural property lines which means lots of sharp 90 degree turns and oak canopied roads.

Another nice run is starting out at 50 and 19 at the Weeki Wachee State Park. Head west on 50 and run out to Pine Island and Bayport. Bayport Inn is out there and is a good place to eat. There is a little one lane road off of Pine Island Road you will want to go explore while you are there. From there head back to Shoal Line Blvd and head south into Aripeka. If you are up for a dirt road turn right on Dixie Highway and go behind the Sunwest Mines. As soon as you turn right there is a small park on your right. Stop there and you will see some humongous drag lines operating. I had a friend ask me why those buildings looked like they were moving. He didn't understand that they were machines until I explained what they were. After that head south on Dixie Highway into Hudson. There is a seafood restaurant or three at the end of Dixie Highway if you explore around there. I just don't remember the names of them. You can slab it back on 19 or reverse your route.