Old 12-08-2013, 06:50 AM   #676
rossaduc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
F800GS versus the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTW Motorcycling View Post
Hey KN,

Thanks for the comments, I know you are kidding but I do have to disagree with you since you bring up that point. Many times, the most insightful comments come from riders at every stage in their exposure to any bike. People who look at the bike for the first time have a great initial cognitive reaction that is not yet clouded, people who have ridden it a bit have that insightful first "feel" from their rides. Once we get more than a few miles on a bike, we can point out how it feels then, but a lot of times we form opinions (rightly or wrongly) and can get a bit stagnant. The problem is that we are adaptable and we adjust to the bike so that sometimes if you ask someone about a certain feature or potential problem, the rider has to scratch his head and think about it, because it has been a while since he has been concious of the issue.

Slight tangent, but there is truly a lot of interesting points and questions brought up by riders at every position in riding spectrum, I think that it would be great if more people contributed their thoughts. I know sometimes it's hard as there seems to be a high level of expertise on almost all topics, but we all mostly fall into the average rider category and as such there will be a lot of other riders like us that will have the same perspective. Please post away!
I have ridden extensively an incredibly large number of bikes from my wife's grey market 250s and 400s to GSA and all points in between. At 6-0 and 250 pounds I found the 800GS not at all suffering in comparison to 1150 GSA, in fact I downsized on purpose as I found that the 1150 GSA was just too much in almost all circumstances and I am a guy who no one would ever say was unlikely to handle just about anything. I made that decision after putting lots of miles on the 1150. I am not surprised by the tone of most of this discussion, seems if I had thought to put my words on paper would have said the same though I do not have the extensive world travelling as others here, still working. I found the 800 the most balanced bike I have own, and at the onset it fit me better than anything I had previously owned. If you look at my bio you will see over 40 years of riding and dozens of bikes owned, granted many were sportbikes, some of those sportbikes I rode to track sessions, used to be famous for riding from Va to Mid Ohio to do track weekend and ride home on SS tires. Used to tour back in the 80s on a Nighthawk S and rode and camped cross country 2 up on that. So my roots pretty much make anything work evolving up to the point of buying more suited machine. The 1150 I rode everywhere for everything.
Still with all of that the 800 GS was like finding that one thing that fit like a glove. Like my 996R which does not fit like a glove it is likely to be the one bike I keep well into my retirement years and world travels. R
rossaduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #677
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Again, what are your sources?

I do not think there was a fuel pump recall either, just some replaced under warranty.
Lukas:
The fuel pump "assembly" was recalled on my bike - mine is a first-year production model here in the US - the problem they were fixing on my bike was not the pump but some issue with the fuel level sender or low-fuel light - I don't recall which ...

Not sure if that figures in to what you guys are talking about ...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:31 PM   #678
moulin6801
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Installed Scott Stabilizer on my new 800GS today, 1st impressions

Installed Scott Stabilizer on my new 800GS today, 1st impressions are excellent in HWY. I was able to do 85mph and let go handlebars without oscillation! It was great, could not have done that before for sure!
moulin6801 is offline   Reply With Quote