Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2014, 06:25 PM   #181
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,289
I've been running an Ohlins rear shock for a couple years. It's the non remote res version. I decided to upgrade to the Nitron 3-way adjustable, remote res, Adventure shock with the hydraulic pre-load adjusted. I had Nitron built the shock with an extra 10mm of travel. At 3:1 swing arm ratio, I picked up 30mm (1 5/16") of travel to match the Shivered forks.

I ordered some 26mm Oilites bushings to mount the new shock with the Indy upper shock mount mod. The bushings are back ordered and 2 weeks out. I'm not much for waiting on things so I decided to try a new approach to the upper bolt bending issue.

Traced out the thick factory shock tab and cut a new one out:

Welded it in place:

Bridged the remaining gap and bolted it all together. We'll see how it holds up after the race:

I don't have pillion pegs anymore so I'm not sure where I'll mount the preload adjuster.

I'm not crazy about the res location, my boots rub on it. I'm concerned that the res will migrate in and mess up the compression adjuster on the sub-frame.

The extended length shock and forks give me 11.75" ground clearance:

Also give me a 39.5" seat height Good thing I'm tall:

The side stand is WAY short. Looks like a SideKicker needs to happen.

Hopefully the shock performs as good as it looks.

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US

Camel ADV screwed with this post 03-09-2014 at 02:59 PM
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:08 PM   #182
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,335
That is some nice welding Cory.....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:11 AM   #183
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
I plan on doing that when I get somewhere static for a bit, I was thinking about doing it with a larger block though, was there a reason you did it the way you did? It looks good! I wish BMW would have just started doing that from the factory!!!!
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:01 PM   #184
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
I plan on doing that when I get somewhere static for a bit, I was thinking about doing it with a larger block though, was there a reason you did it the way you did? It looks good! I wish BMW would have just started doing that from the factory!!!!
Larger block? I assume you mean the new mounting tab? It's 3/8" so it should be more than enough. I may gusset a few spots too.

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Old 03-09-2014, 04:53 PM   #185
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
It turned out pretty good

Old 03-09-2014, 05:03 PM   #186
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Yeah the mounting tab, sorry poor choice of verbage. I figured that would be sufficient just curious. Also that beautiful shock will need some protection The one I sent you is the one I made for motoriley but he couldn't use it.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:21 PM   #187
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
Yeah the mounting tab, sorry poor choice of verbage. I figured that would be sufficient just curious. Also that beautiful shock will need some protection The one I sent you is the one I made for motoriley but he couldn't use it.
Looking forward to installing it

Old 03-10-2014, 07:37 AM   #188
20Fingers
GSGiant in Maine

Oddometer: 132
Windscreen side deflectors

First, went through all 13 pages of this thread, incredible work and great documentation!

What windscreen is in the picture, and are those side deflectors part of OEM stuff, or an add-on?

Thanks for the great reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel ADV View Post
I bought my F8 last April for the sole purpose of a last minute RTW trip (left 60 days after saying, "Hey we should ride around the world"). For the most part I was thrilled with the F8 on the trip but there were a few things I wanted to change before the next trip which is coming up this October.
These changes break down to 3 sections:

A) It failed me last time and caused me a ton of grief
B) It worked OK but I'd like to upgrade for next time
C) I like blingy sh*t, am single and have no kids so I'm going to spend my money where I like

First things first, here's what I broke:

Chain (replaced with DID VM2 @3000km). DID is now worn out (@33,000km)but the BMW chain and sprocket recall letter just arrived and they are going to replace my DID because my CZ broke in Siberia and there were no BMW Motorrad dealers for several thousand miles.

Battery sh*t the bed. Solution: Upgrade to DEKA. I'm currently still using the tiny Russian battery.

Bent the hell out of the rims (front especially). Solution: Replace with Excels from Woody's but am undecided on rear rim dimensions and whether to reuse the stock hubs or upgrade to Eagle/RAD.

Rox Risers kept twisting. If you have them you likely know what I mean. I'm 6'3" and went with the 3.5" tall version. Despite the eBay auction being for 1 1/8"x 1 1/8" risers, when they arrived they were 1 1/8" x 7/8". Apparently Rox doesn't make a double 1 1/8" version in the 3.5". They give you stupid "C" shells to shim up the difference...what a nightmare. The wheel was pointed straight ahead but the bars were way off to one side...no problem, I'll just crank on the bars and correct it, oops, went way too far... dammit, these things suck not to mention are pretty dangerous.

Bent upper shock bolt. Solution: added RalleMoto brace and bumped up a bolt grade...and will carry a spare.

No other "breaks" really. Some annoying things:

The suspension was a bit soft and under valved for me (240lbs) and my gear. I didn't realize how bad it was until I had a chance to ride a few other bikes recently. The front definitely needs upgrading. Solution: Hybrid F8GS/Shiver 45s and upgrade to an Elka on the rear.

Despite kick ass fuel mileage the 16 litre tank is a hassle in areas lacking regular/reliable fuel stations. Also annoying once on the fast autobahn type highways @130-140km/h and having to stop every 1 1/2-2hrs for gas. Solution: Will be adding a Tourtech "Tanker".

I have the Pelican top loader cases which I LOVE! I can't believe how durable these things are. I had 2 huge crashes in Mongolia and the Pelicans were unscathed. What I don't like is the Hepco Becker racks. They move and sway a ton and the left case sticks out over 3" farther than the right. It looks stupid and is WAY too wide. Of course with plastic panniers it's not as simple as just cutting out around the muffler and welding new bits in to balance things out. Solution: New exhaust and modified/rebuild/reinforced racks.

The beginning of the mods:

I started with the ROX Riser issue. I tossed the "C" shims and had a local inmate (Wrekluse) turn an adapter tube up with an ID of just under 7/8" and an OD of 1 1/8" out of 6061 aluminum. He then knurled the 1 1/8" section for a bit more bite.

This tube solved 2 issues; it tied the 2 risers together which helps with the twisting issue and it also gets rid of the 7/8" to 1 1/8" shims. After pressing the risers into the tube I had a welder friend TIG the 3 pieces together. I also bought a bridged upper bar clamp from Highway Dirt Bikes to help control the twist. All the mounting holes in the upper clamp are useful too.

I know 3.5" risers look ridiculous but 2 1/4" aren't quite tall enough. Finished package:

Old 03-10-2014, 11:12 AM   #189
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Fingers View Post
First, went through all 13 pages of this thread, incredible work and great documentation!

What windscreen is in the picture, and are those side deflectors part of OEM stuff, or an add-on?

Thanks for the great reading!
The wind screen was a prototype from MadStad. It worked well but I don't run a wind screen at all any more. The side deflectors are 1/8" lexan that I cut, heated and bent. They made a huge difference in wind noise and buffeting.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:35 PM   #190
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Camel - So you cut the pilon pegs off of the sub frame? I was thinking about doing something like that. How did yours turn out?

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:29 PM   #191
f800kris
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
It's always cool to see some of the mods people make their bike their own. Love it man. Have stolen a couple ideas from you.
f800kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:04 PM   #192
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by f800kris View Post
It's always cool to see some of the mods people make their bike their own. Love it man. Have stolen a couple ideas from you.
Glad you got some ideas from it. I've definitely picked up lots of things from others on here too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure MotoX View Post
Camel - So you cut the pilon pegs off of the sub frame? I was thinking about doing something like that. How did yours turn out?
I never have a passenger so it's not an issue. It does limit pannier options though as many brands use the tubes as the forward mount.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:52 AM   #193
Rider 101
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Pity it was done with a mig tig is for style!

But seriously, any tips on welding? Disconnect battery etc to protect electronics? Any tips greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Old 03-19-2014, 02:00 AM   #194
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,652
I reckon your new top shock mount is how it should be from the factory. I will be interested to see how it handles the use/abuse. The top shock mount on these bikes is one of the reasons I dont own one. I have ridden one and liked the bike but I ride two up and was sure the stock setup would have caused me problems. I like all your other mods too. Keep up the good work , and the report.

Cheers Phil
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:40 AM   #195
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider 101 View Post
Pity it was done with a mig tig is for style!

But seriously, any tips on welding? Disconnect battery etc to protect electronics? Any tips greatly appreciated.
I don't have a TIG, never learned to do. Definitely plan to sooner or later though.

I'm sure other will jump all over me for this but I usually don't disconnect the battery when welding. I have been doing it for years on bikes and offroad race trucks (EFI too) and never had an issue. I'm not suggesting everyone should leave the battery connected. If I was working on someone else's bike I'd disconnect just because it would fall under best practices. I keep the ground clamp as close to the welding area as possible, make sure the area is clean and ready to weld. 20yrs, no issues yet!