Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2014, 11:31 AM   #16
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,249
Not surprised by your experience, I was pleasantly surprised with the customer service as well. I believe you'll be very happy with the Mirage, and I'm not just trying to justify my own purchase. I'd buy one again.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:23 PM   #17
Hamish71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Talking

+1 for the Mirage.....

Had it on two bikes for 3 years. Wouldnt be without it. When I first set it up, I was unhappy. I had a high speed vibration on my helmet....but, the after market service was excellent. Described the setup, and my helmet...one of his staff went and duplicated it. They then told me what I had done wrong....and what to do next. Fixed it.

As an aside...are you relatively new to the F800GS? When I first got it, I found the wind buffet on this bike very unsettling compared to others. For a couple of weeks...maybe even months or so, I set about trying to eliminate it (sound familiar?). Then I went away on a 2 week trip....and I didnt notice it anymore.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:09 PM   #18
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
And what was that fix? I'm curious to try it.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:16 AM   #19
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
And what was that fix? I'm curious to try it.
Indeed. I'm pretty happy right now but if there's room for improvement... well lets be honest, there's ALWAYS room for improvement.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #20
freud OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Short story made long:

This not a new aquisition, I've had this F8GS for about a year now, and is a fabulous commuter. But in the last year I've put only 7,500km on it, the year before I was putting about 25,000km on another bike (and it was a harley sportster).

I like commuting much more but on the road I get smashed pretty quick. To be fair I had a comfort seat, fully custom made suspension with ricor shocks and works springs, a nice windshield and had set the handlebars to my like. I spent a while fitting it all, I really liked that bike but never felt safe without abs and was too small for riding two up, plus i had only about 34 of lean angle, still and even supported by my friends it was the most comfortable sportser, as comfy or more than a road king, with a nice taller susspension that allowd for light offroading.

ON this f8gs with the stock windshield I felt I was literaly going to get killed, the air hit my shoulders very hard and turbulent it made my torso and handlebars shake add the turbulence also moved my head from side to side, I felt like I had a rag neck. Immediatly I went to purchase a new screen, the friend from whom i got it is a short guy, quite short for a f800gs, but as he has ridden dirt bikes since he was a child he likes the bike, still he was more than ok with that shield, to me the bike only became rideable above 120km/h and bearable up to 140, driveable up to 160, past that the air spring so hard that the turbulence looked like ripping the front of the bike.

One day, for moths afer owning this bike I went for a ride with another friend who was riding a mono f650gs, he was leading and he twisted the throttle to a steady 160km/h, that was killing, after about 100km on a straight road we headed to some 200km of nonstop canyion curves, for a total of about 450km for that day, the nex day we rode the same way back.

It was a painful ride, the weather was against us too, I must say, on the way back the rain never stopped, I was covered with goretex and my helmet has a pinlock shield, excepting the crappy icon globes everthing was ok, at least getting wet never happened to me, my hands were soaked wet but thanks to the handguards and heated grips only wet never cold.

After that trip I even considered selling the bike for good and never riding again, i never felt so afraid of riding, the tiredness was crazy, my butt aked like it was broken. A sadle sore rally became unthinkabe

I rested a couple of days and remembered how fun it was, after all, riding the nonstop curves: this bike eats the twists like a champ. I consumed the chicken stripes with ease, and when we left the road and hit some muddy trails I dropped the bike twice but everything was pure simple fun. I have no prevous experience on dirt bike but i've been several year in mountain bike passig throug a couple years of downhill so those thinks aren't all that unfamiliar. It was that, the bike stayed. I drove a Harley road king as a daily commuter and then took the f800gs back i decided that for the mexico city nothing compares to this bike.

I dared to take it again for a "long trip" of 500km a day, for a total of 1000km in two days, I decided i wanted to test how it was driving everytime within the legal limmits. I drove about 400km at speed around 100km/h as steady as I could, the bike was prety nice, the fuel consumption was unbelieveable, but my butt hurted again and my neck and back were smashed too. Then I realized two things: this bike was a true all arounder that had to be customized and that I don't enjoy riding too fast, if fast I don't enjoy the path and I can cover longer distances when going slower.

I restarted driving longer on weekends, the bike stays, i'ts the perfect commuter, I even sold my car, my wife's car is the only car we own now. But I need to fix the body smashing ergos of the bike and hopefully I'll be ablle to keep this bike instead of going through the botter of selling and buying to moto to a r1200gs.

I still own a harley a FLH 82', an man that bike does it's job quite well: it looks pretty. Comparing the capabilites of both the dual purpose bmw is a more efficent machine in every sense.

Recently that friend of the f650mono bought a r1200rt and we went out for a 300mile ride to test the bike, and i remember driving a R1200r in the past for about 100km and asking to get my f8gs back because it was more comfortable than the R12r on the crappy mexican backroads, now he was on my F8gs and asked for his rt back for the same reason. I left home driving the RT in the way back I drove mine and that day i realized how uncomfortable my F8gs could be compared to a bike designed for touring. Even going for an RT became an option.

I loved the stock seat, the position, the radio and perhaps most of all the adjustable windscreen and cruise control of the RT. No more cramped wrists, It was a hot day and when driving slow I coul have air refreshing me, but as we hit the highway no air was bothering me.

The F800 accelerates faster, thanks to the ratios, for the same reason at high speeds I can feel the bike rattling more than the rt. About handling the smaller front whell of the rt gave quicker turns but I felt safer in the curves with the lean angle of the gs.

I realized in the end these things:

I feel better on a GS than a Road bike in the curves (the harleys are too scarry with the lack of lean angle)

I almost never go to muddy places, but I love when i do, and I coud not do that on a road bike.

I need as soon as yesterday an improvement on the ergos.

The utopic bike is a GS with cruise control and adjustable windscreen and a very wide seat... that doesn't cost me a kidney. That bike almost exists, so in a copuple of years I may buy a second hand R12GS LC but for now I may only need a nice seat, shield, risers and a throttle lock. I'm begining to think that fully customized this bike can be more comfortable that any stock r12gs oil or water cooled and still, not as comfy but more fun than an RT.

I'm waiting for my rox riser as I write, the kaokos where solt out at revzilla.

I tried the sargent seat and I was not very fond of it, I'll try the bmw comfort seat wich is easy to get, if not conviced the rusell day long will be the one.

I spent this weekend playing with the suspension to find out that riding solo on the city what i liked the most is the rear suspension win minimum preload and 1 1/2 turns of the damping, and like that the bike feels very comfortable, and does not squat too much on hard corner acceleration, the front is very soft, maybe a set of new spring will be ok, i don't plan on spending 1800 on a set of ohlins cardriges, if still no satisfied, maybe the one for my is a F658 and not the f800, ricor shocks sell intiminator for that bike, and I rely liked the way those intiminators work. Apart from the risers wverything else could be transplanted to the f658 and I would get in the trouble of selling and buying but I'd get some cash back that way.

No, this bike wont be as comfortable as the r1200rt, specially the wind protection, but I't will be comfortable enough while very practical and fun. Tha't what I hope
freud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:00 PM   #21
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,146
You could save a lot of money with the Caterpillar O ring throttle lock. It's just an O ring available from Caterpillar dealers (and probably ebay!) ... part no #8M4991 or Caterpillar Part #8M5266. You have it on the right bar end weight and slide it over when you want it and back over when you don't. Had the same one for years and it works better than the proper Wunderlich one on my XChallenge. Only costs a few dollars. Photos below to illustrate.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:23 AM   #22
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 501
After going thru this decision process a couple of year ago, I chose Aeroflow.

I'm happy with that decision. Got over 40k mile of my F650GS. Many long days (500+miles), rain etc. The Areoflow gives good protection and once you have it set up to get the flow just over the helmet and the ability to look over the wind screen it works very well. I got the mid height screen and enlarged the mounting holes a bit so I could tilt it back a bit more..

i have the Aeroflow wind screen and the option side Airguards. no side induced turbulence.

enjoy
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:22 AM   #23
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

@ Freud:

Re. your experience, until I set up the bike to suit me I had similar misgivings. Installing the Mirage, bar risers and fixing the seat changed everything.

No it's not an RT, but I've toured all over the western US and Canada and commute every day (I sold my car also). Once properly set up I think the F8 is one of the all-time great do-everything bikes. I would not hesitate to take one around the world. Maybe a new one first though, this one's getting a bit worn out .
Old 03-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #24
freud OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane View Post
You could save a lot of money with the Caterpillar O ring throttle lock. It's just an O ring available from Caterpillar dealers (and probably ebay!) ... part no #8M4991 or Caterpillar Part #8M5266. You have it on the right bar end weight and slide it over when you want it and back over when you don't. Had the same one for years and it works better than the proper Wunderlich one on my XChallenge. Only costs a few dollars. Photos below to illustrate.
Had no idea about it I will try them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollygrubber View Post
@ Freud:

Re. your experience, until I set up the bike to suit me I had similar misgivings. Installing the Mirage, bar risers and fixing the seat changed everything.

No it's not an RT, but I've toured all over the western US and Canada and commute every day (I sold my car also). Once properly set up I think the F8 is one of the all-time great do-everything bikes. I would not hesitate to take one around the world. Maybe a new one first though, this one's getting a bit worn out .
And when I think of thradin the bike I look at it in the garage and I just loce the way it looks.
freud is offline   Reply With Quote