User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2014, 05:11 PM   #61
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,666
Maplesville Enduro !

I posted this at PAR but you all might be interested here also...

It was a cold crisp morning and the bare metal was sweating on the inside of my white full windowed 1966 Econoline Van which I heated up by starting the engine every so often and let the heater run WFO. My bride and I were both 21 and I had unloaded my SACH 125cc out of the back and folded down our bed. Life was good.

This was at the Maplesville school house circa 1968 and I saw my first Penton. We were all in awe. Had the SACH engine but still it was something with its Cereni forks and green and white tank. All the old timers were there and lots of new faces like me. Some are still around. Enduro riders are hard to put down!

Somewhere along the way Millard Reynolds donated some land and the Enduros started from there and thus the Perry Mountain Motorcycle Club thing. Point of historical note: it could be that PMMC was formed while we started at the school house? Any one know?

I have no idea how many times I've ridden the infamous Perry Mountain (it is a mountain ya know), some rides were good but all are memorable. The fact that PMMC is still hosting major events is a testament to all the member of that great place.

See you all soon.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:36 PM   #62
mikej55
Livin the Dream

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
I posted this at PAR but you all might be interested here also...

It was a cold crisp morning and the bare metal was sweating on the inside of my white full windowed 1966 Econoline Van which I heated up by starting the engine every so often and let the heater run WFO. My bride and I were both 21 and I had unloaded my SACH 125cc out of the back and folded down our bed. Life was good.

This was at the Maplesville school house circa 1968 and I saw my first Penton. We were all in awe. Had the SACH engine but still it was something with its Cereni forks and green and white tank. All the old timers were there and lots of new faces like me. Some are still around. Enduro riders are hard to put down!

Somewhere along the way Millard Reynolds donated some land and the Enduros started from there and thus the Perry Mountain Motorcycle Club thing. Point of historical note: it could be that PMMC was formed while we started at the school house? Any one know?

I have no idea how many times I've ridden the infamous Perry Mountain (it is a mountain ya know), some rides were good but all are memorable. The fact that PMMC is still hosting major events is a testament to all the member of that great place.

See you all soon.
Yes Vic, the club was started while they were starting the Enduros from the old School House. But when they got too big for the School is when they moved it to the pasture where they could build the club house. I rode my first one in 1970 on a Bridgestone 100 and started at the school house. They had flat track races on saturday night before the enduro sunday morning. The flat track races were held on the running track at the school which was dirt! In 1972 I rode my pretty little green tank Penton 125. Those were the good ole days when we climbed Tower hill and Penitentiary hill. If you made it up them you felt like you had accomplished something. Only a small building is left on the old school grounds which is now a lumber yard. If you have not seen it in a while I am sure you will not recognize the place. Dang you make me realize I am one of the old ASSHATS
Old 02-24-2014, 03:44 PM   #63
PositiveRate
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Can't wait.....Put me down for beginner class....this will be my first dual sport ride and it looks like a lot of fun
PositiveRate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:39 AM   #64
Woods Rider
X-Crazed Racing Fool

Oddometer: 1,878
A Favorite Photo

Back in 1999 while sitting in Bill Chambliss' office at the old Honda / Yamaha Fort Walton, I noticed a vintage photo on the wall of his office. Bill and his brother Bud were old salts of the enduro and off road world.

I asked Bill who that was in the photo and he said, "That's Millard Reynolds riding his Harley in the first enduro at Maplesville". The black and white photo was of this guy on a big, heavy Harley wheeling out of a ditch, no helmet, wearing overalls.....too cool!

Having the same last name as Millard and being totally hooked on enduro racing, and my first Maplesville Gobbler Getter, that photo is forever etched in my memory.

What a great sport we are blessed to be involved in!

Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks his head out the window of a car!
Woods Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:15 AM   #65
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 2,922
Makes me think of the walls of perry mountain's club house - plastered with enduro history. Definitely worth checking out while you're there, even if you're not fillin out race entries!
Old 02-28-2014, 05:01 PM   #66
wambow
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Just came across the thread and sounds like a fun time. Add me to the list for the slow group. Will be riding a 09 KLR 650 and at my age I gave up knee dragging sometime ago. More into flower sniffing now.
wambow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:13 AM   #67
Vico1
The Maestro

Treemans and PM preplanning meeting

I hope to see a bunch of you at Treemans this weekend. Hopefully bduke will be there to share GPX tracks and discuss ride.

May as well start a count down

Old 03-06-2014, 11:14 AM   #68
bduke OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
I will be at Treemans late Friday night. Looking forward to seeing everyone.
Quote:
I hope to see a bunch of you at Treemans this weekend. Hopefully bduke will be there to share GPX tracks and discuss ride.

May as well start a count down

bduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:13 PM   #69
Vico1
The Maestro

bduke - video posted of Treemans - go have a look.

I am checking on the next two weekends to see what will work out for Pre-ride!

Tracks look great on Google Earth.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #70
bduke OP
Adventurer

Great video Vic. Thanks for posting.
Quote:
bduke - video posted of Treemans - go have a look.

I am checking on the next two weekends to see what will work out for Pre-ride!

Tracks look great on Google Earth.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:37 PM   #71
LXIV-Dragon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
In! In the quick group ��

'07 Suzuki DR650SE - '06 - '03 Ducati 999 '13 Husqvarna TE449
2011 TAT; No Reservations
LXIV-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:57 PM   #72
Vico1
The Maestro

Awesome Pre ride

The Duke led me on a 100 mile ride through the Taladaga National forest and Perry Mountain.

True to the high standards of the Perry Mountain MC this is a challenging DS event. But we'll worth the effort.

Video in soup to give you idea of ride.

Stay tuned for more info.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:25 AM   #73
kg4lwp
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Sounds awesome cant wait.

Count me in. I will either be either driving up from around Foley, Al or just riding the bike up not sure yet. Ive road dual sports all over the southeast on a tagged Honda 450x, but I just sold that and bought a DR650 to do some traveling on, im sure il feel the 125 pound difference on this ride!
kg4lwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #74
bduke OP
Adventurer

Update on Perry Mountain Fire Tower Dual Sport ride

I wanted to give everyone an update. Saturday's ride will be right at 100 miles. There will be gas available (Service Station) at approximately 23 miles and if anyone needs additional gas you will be able to send a gas can to Camp Grist, about 55 miles from the start. We will have a BBQ plate lunch at Camp Grist State Park . Everyone that wants to have BBQ will need to pay Friday afternoon or Saturday morning and get a wrist band. The cost of the BBQ plate and drink is $8.00. There is also a $2.00 gate fee (Honor Box) at the entrance into Camp Grist State Park so everyone will need to bring $2.00 on the ride to pay the gate fee. Sunday's ride will be between 50 and 70 miles. We will have GPS tracks for both days that can be downloaded Saturday morning.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:03 PM   #75
Vico1
The Maestro

Pre Ride Video

Below is video that I hope will give you a flavor of the Perry Mountain Dual Spot ride coming up on April 12/13.

Thanks to bduke for riding the route with me and listening (I think) to my suggestions.

Over the next few weeks we will have more details on the route and options for different rides.

Hope you enjoy.