User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2014, 11:22 AM   #1
TRAVR6 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
My 7 day trip from Louisville, KY to Key West

Long story short I quit my job, bought a cheap cruiser, and rode south.

Left out Saturday Feb 22nd morning around 6am from Louisville, KY. When I left there was snow on the ground and it was about 35 degrees. I rode to about Macon, Ga on the first day and it was rather uneventful. I just wanted to get as far south as I could on the first day. I say it was uneventful because prior to leaving for this trip I had only ridden the bike about 20 miles.
My first night I camped out.

TRAVR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:25 AM   #2
TRAVR6 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day two was horrible. Rode from the camp spot to Ocala, Fl and it rained the entire time. Like most other places, when the weather is anything but sunny people forget how to drive. I must have been stuck in at least 4 traffic jams... In the rain. By the time I reached Ocala I was stuck in another traffic jam and just pulled off the road to get a hotel.

IT was basically this all day. On toip of this it was 41 when I left the camp spot.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:28 AM   #3
TRAVR6 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 3 was perfect.
I rode from Ocala to Homestead and could not have asked for better weather. I ended up stopping at Everglades Holiday park to catch the gator boys show. From there I rode through the everglades and through the farm lands of southern Florida.
I ended up stopping at a strawberry farm that you pick yourself. Ate about a pound of strawberries on the side of the road and admired the beauty of the surroundings for a while.

After that I rode to the home of Andy (FLArider1) and Angie where I would stay for two nights. They are two of the nicest people I have ever met in my life and I cannot thank them enough for their hospitality. They fed me well and even gave me a bed when I was expecting to camp outside. Camping outside would have just as fine but it was a welcomed surprise. I highly suggest you all meet them if you ever take a trip toward the keys. Their stories and conversations are highly enjoyable.

TRAVR6 screwed with this post 03-01-2014 at 12:14 PM
Old 03-01-2014, 11:42 AM   #4
TRAVR6 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 4.
I pretty much spent the entire day riding the keys and back. It was about a 3 hour ride one way. Got going about 5:45 am and I was able to make it down without too much traffic.
I was able to catch a nice sunrise off the keys on the way.

Finally made it to the southern most point which was the goal of the whole trip.

Rode all the way down, took this picture, and left.
Once you get to this point it is a tourist trap and it is packed. The traffic was horrible down here. Construction everywhere.

I looked for the mile marker 0 signs on the way down and back but never saw them.

I ended up eating lunch at no name pub around 11 am.
I thought it was just another tourist trap kind of place but I was amazed by the food. Took forever to get my food but was well worth the wait.
For those of you that have not been there..... You can just take money off the walls to pay for your lunch.

Kidding of course. There must have been 100K plus hanging on the walls.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:50 AM   #5
TRAVR6 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

day 4 continued....

One of the most fun parts of the trip was feeding the tarpon at Robbies marina. If you ever make it to the keys you really should do this. It was definitely one of the highlights of the trip.

Hand feeding a 6' long fish with a mouth that opens to the size of a basketball is not something you do every day.

After making a slow trip back up Highway 1 I stopped at
Dagny Johnson Key Largo Hammock Botanical State Park

There wasn't a whole lot here but it was on the way and I had time to kill. There were some neat plants and birds but nothing amazing.

Rode back to Andy's after that getting there around 5pm.
Swam in the pool a bit and had an enjoyable perfect Florida night.
Andy and Angie truly have their own paradise down there.
I hope they realize how lucky they are. lol
Old 03-01-2014, 12:03 PM   #6
TRAVR6 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 5 was a beat the weather kind of day.
Got up early in the morning and checked the radar. I had been watching it all night. It was up to the radar whether I left then or stayed another day.

The radar looked decent from the keys all the way to about daytona so I decided to chance it.

I took no toll roads on the way down but decided to hit them on the way up thinking it would be quicker.

I was WRONG! there was horrible traffic and it took me around 3 hours just to make it about 100 miles up the road.
I was going to take the turnpike up towards gainseville but it sucked so bad I hopped onto 95 and ended up taking the Atlantic coast up instead.

I texted Colemanfu (Mike) to see if he still had tent space available and he did. So I changed my plans to head to Ormond Beach instead.

It sprinkled or rained from about Jupiter,fl all the way to Ormond. I ened up stopping at the mall in Daytona due to torrential downpour.
It was pretty ironic to stop there because the bike I rode was a Suzuki Volusia. The mall was Volusia mall in Volusia County.
Apparently this bike was named for this county and I didn't even know it.

Finally made it to Mike's around 5pm. Sat outside and shot the shit for a bit. Hegave me a tour of his yard, garage, house, etc... Super nice guy and he has a tropical paradise in his back yard.
Not sure about these Florida guys but they have somehow found the key to happiness.
Time for me to move back to Florida I think. lol

I ended up getting a bad sun burn in the keys and Mike happened to have Aloe plants growing. He snapped me off a few pieces and they worked like magic on the burns.

He ended up having a spare bed available so yet again I did not have to camp. After getting settled in and throwing a load in the washer went to the local pub for some food.
The atmosphere was great and the food was even better.
Except for the indigestion I got. Once I threw up it was all better and I scarfed down the rest of my food.

Woke up the next morning around 0530 to about 40 degree weather and sprinkling rain. Snapped off a few more pieces of aloe and hit the road.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:05 PM   #7
TRAVR6 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 6.

Ended up riding from Ormond to Chattanooga, tn.
Pretty uneventful but it was cold all day long.
It was about 40 - 50 all day.
IT was a very boring ride most of the way once I got out of the bad weather in Florida.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:10 PM   #8
TRAVR6 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 7. Made it home!

Tried to stick around until about 1030 hoping to ride in the warmest part of the day. The entire ride home was about 35-42 degrees.

I ended up stopping every hour or so to warm up with the bathroom hand dryers.
Saw this most of the way home. Icicles everywhere.

Stayed dry all day but it was a cold ride home. I think next time I will be better prepared for the cold weather.
Ended up riding about 2700 miles.
Forgot to reset my trip meter until I was on the road for an hour already.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:12 PM   #9
TRAVR6 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I can't believe some of the trips you all do alone.
Andy was saying his trip was about 15,000 miles.

Amazing the miles some of you put in.

Oh yeah.....
The last time I pulled over to get gas there was a guy that approached me talking about motorcycles.

I informed him that I had only bought this motorcycle for this trip and was going to sell it as soon as I got home.
Told him I gave $2000 for it and he offered me $2500.
We will see if that pans out but if it does..... That basically pays for the trip.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:24 PM   #10
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,218
Glad you made it home safe and sound although a little bit wet. Been a strange winter down this way, a lot more rain than normal. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and it was a pleasure meeting you also. Thanks for the kind words, we have found our own little slice of paradise and we do enjoy it everyday!!!!

Ride safe and I hope we meet up again some day and I have the time to ride with you!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:43 AM   #11
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,879
Mile marker O is over by the Green Parrot bar. Don't know how you missed it.
Glad you had a safe trip.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:40 AM   #12
TRAVR6 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Mile marker O is over by the Green Parrot bar. Don't know how you missed it.
Glad you had a safe trip.
There was a ton of construction going on. Might have been where the mile marker was and I was too focused on not getting ran over or running over someone else.

A foot of snow out of my window today.
I now regret coming home so early.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:27 AM   #13
farmboy555
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I was down in the Keys Last Week, had breakfast at Robbie's, now back in Ky with the snow & ice
farmboy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:00 AM   #14
TRAVR6 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboy555 View Post
I was down in the Keys Last Week, had breakfast at Robbie's, now back in Ky with the snow & ice
Great Ohio Valley weather.
IT was 78 degrees yesterday.
Wind chills of 0 tonight
Old 03-12-2014, 07:35 AM   #15
Oldandslower
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Found this:

Volusia—named for the Florida county that encompasses Daytona Beach (the first Volusia was unveiled at Bike Week in 2001.)
Oldandslower is offline   Reply With Quote