ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 04:36 PM   #1
meatwagon1 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Gloucester, MA
Oddometer: 61
Touratech Comfort Seats,

I'm sure it has been spoken about before, I did a search but didn't find anything useful.

I have a BMW rally seat which on the pro side I like the added 1.5" height than the standard seat. Has a bit of a more dirt bike feel to it which is great when in the trails. But the cons are when riding highway miles it is very uncomfortable.

Have read threads on other seats but was curious if any one has input on the touratech seat. I would be interested in the high seat breathable version.

I know it is only .8" higher than standard, a little smaller than the 1.5" the rally has to offer, but i would love the added comfort if the touratech offers it.
__________________
2013 BMW f800gs
2012 KTM 300 xc-w
http://www.youtube.com/user/shamychubby?feature=mhee

meatwagon1 screwed with this post 03-11-2014 at 04:58 PM
meatwagon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:01 PM   #2
Angryrican
know nothing all
 
Angryrican's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: North NJ
Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwagon1 View Post
I'm sure it has been spoken about before, I did a search but didn't find anything useful.

I have a BMW rally seat which on the pro side I like the added 1.5" height than the standard seat. Has a bit of a more dirt bike feel to it which is great when in the trails. But the cons are when riding highway miles it is very uncomfortable.

Have read threads on other seats but was curious if any one has input on the touratech seat. I would be interested in the high seat breathable version.

I know it is only .8" higher than standard, a little smaller than the 1.5" the rally has to offer, but i would love the added comfort if the touratech offers it.
I had the standard height breathable and it was definitely comfortable when seated for long periods of time but the cover is a bit abrasive making it hard to slide around on it if seated off road and trying to shift your weight a bit
Angryrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:10 PM   #3
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Eastern WA
Oddometer: 742
I know this doesn't answer your question directly.

Don't discount the Seatconcepts.com seat. I got the "tall" version and kept the height of the rally, but can now slab it for hours at a time, while still being able to stand in the rough stuff.

For the price, you can't beat it. This is my second seat, my previous XR650R had one, and it lasted a long time.
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:31 AM   #4
Beairmo
Keeping it real
 
Beairmo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Fishers, IN
Oddometer: 155
I have the touratech breathable standard seat and am completely satisfied with it for now. Haven't used it in super hot weather so don't know if I like the breath ability. But I slide around on it fine. I tried an airhawk, then the BMW comfort seat before getting the touratech from another inmate.

IMHO, the best thing about the touratech is the shape of the foam. Wider and more level than the stock seat.

http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/be...uratech%20Seat


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
__________________
'13 F800GS; '14 K1600GTL; '09 WR450F
'74 RD350 (Winter Project)

"If your going through hell...keep going!
(Winston Churchill)
Beairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:38 AM   #5
BillACK
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: New Hampshire
Oddometer: 18
I have the tall foam and cover from Seat Concepts too. While it's a HUGE improvement over the stock seat, for me, it's certainly not an all day seat. I'm thinking of having Rick Mayer build me a custom (next time he has a sale).
BillACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:51 PM   #6
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Lewiston,ID
Oddometer: 1,764
I had a Touratech seat and didn't like it. It was better than stock, but not by a lot. I bought a Sargent and am happy with it.

One I sat on that impressed me was a Baldwin. He custom makes them and is reasonable. Nice guy too.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:32 PM   #7
OrcasKen
Beastly Adventurer
 
OrcasKen's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Orcas Island, Washington
Oddometer: 124
I went from the stock seat to a Renazco to a Touratech and now have a Seat Concepts kit sitting here waiting for me to retrofit a stocker with. I'm 185, 5'10, 32" inseam for reference. My experience:
  • Stock=good for ~45 mins before wanting a break. With an Airhawk added, it's an all-day seat.
  • Renazco=good for ~30 mins. Lots of folks love their Renazco, just wasn't good for me.
  • Touratech standard non-breathable=good for ~2 hours, but the extra height isn't well suited for adding an Airhawk at my inseam.
  • Seat concepts=no experience, other than one on my KLX250--love it on there. With similar height to stock, I'm hoping for improvement, but expecting to use the Airhawk for distance rides.
FWIW, the Airhawk is the best thing I've found for long-distance riding--used it on a trip to Alaska and never took it off for that trip. For me, it's not good for more active riding, but then again, my butt doesn't hurt on the short/active stuff when moving around constantly. Hope that helps.
__________________
2010 F800GS
2006 KLX250S
2008 CRF230L
OrcasKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:29 PM   #8
squawk77
Dreamer
 
squawk77's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Cyberspace
Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwagon1 View Post
Have read threads on other seats but was curious if any one has input on the touratech seat. I would be interested in the high seat breathable version.
I would try it before committing. I was ready to buy based on all the reviews here, but after the Touratech salesman insisted I try it, I absolutely hated it in 5 minutes. I didn't like Corbin seats on other bikes either though. I find the best cure to a sore butt is riding more twisty and less highway.
__________________
ADVriders on Kiva | Balkans | Morocco | Alps | Corsica
squawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:06 AM   #9
murdock84
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Oddometer: 550
I had the Touratech breathable as well as a seat concepts.

Touratech was a little taller and a little more comfortable than the stock seat.

Seat Concepts was definitely better than the stock seat but didn't make the difference I was hoping for. I loved it on my old DRZ though.

Now I'm back to a stock seat and for some reason this one seems so much better than the one that came with my bike. I used an airhawk with my stock seat in the past and still have it if I know I'm making an all day trip and not just commuting.
murdock84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:06 PM   #10
Pinozul
Miles to Go Before..
 
Pinozul's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Broomfield, CO
Oddometer: 11
Can't directly comment on the Touratech although I was also considering it when I opted for the BMW Rallye seat. My F650 came with a BMW low seat which was very uncomfortable for me at 6'2". I considered the Touratech and BMW Rallye seats to get some more height; ended up with the Rallye mostly because I could buy it local in Denver.

Unfortunately, that was a $400 mistake. Like you, I like the extra height it added and it was great for trails and short rides but just too hard for long-distance, multi-day rides.

I ended up getting a new BMW comfort seat off Craigslist for $160 instead of over $400 retail. I just couldn't stomach paying retail again for a seat when I had no idea whether it would work. Really no way to know without riding them for hours. So far, I like the comfort seat quite a bit although I had to sacrifice the height that the Rallye seat provided.

If you aren't in a hurry, maybe Craigslist, eBay, or the ADV flea market would be worth considering. Last summer I saw at least three of the BMW comfort seats available on our local Craigslist. Didn't see any Touratech seats though. Since so many of us buy a seat, try it and then don't like it, there is some amount of turnover of essentially brand new seats.
__________________
2010 BMW F650GS Twin
2013 KTM 350 XCF-W
Pinozul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #11
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic
 
PFFOG's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Western NY, further from NYC than 6 entire states
Oddometer: 2,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post
I had a Touratech seat and didn't like it. It was better than stock, but not by a lot. I bought a Sargent and am happy with it.
.......................
My path too, mainly pavement, but the Sargent is great, sole the TT breathable
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:30 PM   #12
gleyfman
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Los Gatos, CA
Oddometer: 48
+1 on a BMW Comfort seat.
I can easily do few hours in it without a sore behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinozul View Post
Can't directly comment on the Touratech although I was also considering it when I opted for the BMW Rallye seat. My F650 came with a BMW low seat which was very uncomfortable for me at 6'2". I considered the Touratech and BMW Rallye seats to get some more height; ended up with the Rallye mostly because I could buy it local in Denver.

Unfortunately, that was a $400 mistake. Like you, I like the extra height it added and it was great for trails and short rides but just too hard for long-distance, multi-day rides.

I ended up getting a new BMW comfort seat off Craigslist for $160 instead of over $400 retail. I just couldn't stomach paying retail again for a seat when I had no idea whether it would work. Really no way to know without riding them for hours. So far, I like the comfort seat quite a bit although I had to sacrifice the height that the Rallye seat provided.

If you aren't in a hurry, maybe Craigslist, eBay, or the ADV flea market would be worth considering. Last summer I saw at least three of the BMW comfort seats available on our local Craigslist. Didn't see any Touratech seats though. Since so many of us buy a seat, try it and then don't like it, there is some amount of turnover of essentially brand new seats.
gleyfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:43 PM   #13
puckinet
Safety third
 
puckinet's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Bonney Lake, Washington
Oddometer: 346
Had the touratech seat and was very disappointed, for the money they want the seat was awful. Spend your money on a custom seat, less than the touratech and a better seat.
__________________
Our famous last words "It doesn't look too bad".

08 KTM 450 EXCR
2010 BMW F800GS
Rick
puckinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014