Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2014, 03:46 AM   #4591
Rough ride
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Thanks for clarifying the part for me. I found at least another four guys had the same problem with the bearing. I really want to replace it myself but, looks quite a job when I consulted the manual, what do you reckon?
Rough ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:21 AM   #4592
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggs View Post
With modding the standard Tenere muffler, rather than only removing the cat and drilling a couple of 20mm holes, has anyone cut the entire top of the muffler open and placed in a direct exhaust pipe all the way to the outlets? Basically the same as an aftermarket can has with the baffled or perforated tubing all the way through with muffler packing around it leading to larger outlets. To retain the standard look is what I'm thinking for mine, but the current mod that some inmates gave had done still doesn't seem very efficient.

I've got an older style single Akro can that I was going to fit, but I also have access to another standard Tenere muffler to play with. Thoughts?
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Motor...08960862458047
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:48 PM   #4593
FEARNOBEER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stede View Post
Been on a couple of dusty rides recently, so decided to clean my air filter.

Mine is the Australian foam filter with an outer foam lined cage and inner removable foam.

I have cleaned both foams in detergent and back flushed them with plenty of water then blew them out with compressed air.

Both of them are now out on the line drying. (It's a good drying day...sunny and windy)

There is no info in the owners manual as it only mentions the Euro paper element type....My question is, do you oil both foams or just the inner, removable foam.??

The inner would be easy enough to oil and massage the filter oil through. The outer foam however is moulded in with the cage. I could tip some oil on it but it would be a bugger to massage through evenly.

What method are you guys using..??
Id be interesting in hearing this also, Im only used to cleaning Enduro bike filters without the cage. Any tips would be helpful, cheers Ian
Old 02-23-2014, 05:14 PM   #4594
FLICKIT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
I'm not a fan of the aerosol spray can filter oil but I found it the easiest way to get an even coating on the outer caged filter... It contains a lot of solvent so it seems best to spray a bit around, let the solvent evaporate off, then give it another spray... (if you try spraying a shit load into the filter in 1 go, 1/2 of it ends up running out)

:)
FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:36 PM   #4595
Mattyvas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
I have two types of foam air filter. One I was given which is a thinker single insert in the wire cage that peels out to be cleaned. The other is the one that was in the bike that has two filters in it, a pre-filter and the other filter in the cage.
I can take all of the out of the cage to be cleaned which I do with kerosene (a dirt bike friend told me this trick) then use Bel Ray foam filter oil in a ziplock bag.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:48 AM   #4596
charlie59
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
cleaned my air filter today. do you reckon you can put too much foam oil on the one fixed in the cage. bloody hard to judge. i let it sit in the sun for a while and a bit drained off.
charlie59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:34 AM   #4597
OzJuJu
Team Barracuda

Oddometer: 741
Traildreamer

I dont know is everyone is familiar with this dude but his bike is awesome

http://traildreamer.com/en/probando-...idon-gore-tex/

Old 03-14-2014, 06:49 AM   #4598
Scotty4x4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Hi all. Travelling to Tasmania later this year in October. Riding from Sydney going for 2 weeks. I plan on camping most the night.

Questions are.
I have never done any long distance/multi day riding other than weekend trips.
What upgrades would you do to the bike to make it fit for the trip.
I have small normal upgrades. Like bash plate, crash bars, luggage plate, bark buster and hid globe on low beam.

Most of the riding will be road so I'm going to switch back to a road bias tyre.
Thanks.
Scotty4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:16 PM   #4599
Crazydog
aka Andy660

Oddometer: 20
Cush drive rubbers replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLICKIT View Post
It's the one in the cush drive-sprocket carrier hub: (In the middle there)

Cush-Drive/Sprocket-Carrier bearing x1:
6304 2RS DDU 20x52x15

Seal x1:
OIL SEAL(3BC) (30x52x8-806)
Yam# 9310630029

The other wheel bearings/seals are:
Wheels x4
6203 2RS DDU 17x40x12

Seal x3:
OIL SEAL (23X) (23x40x7)
Yam#93106-23002
Replaced by:
Yam#9310220281

I had to order bearings for a couple of other bikes also, and didn't have time to go to a local bearing place, so I found an Aussie shop on ebay and got a good deal on combined shipping: (prices are much the same as local bearing shops in Tassie, mainland prices are likely to be cheaper)

Cush bearing: x1
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/360285079299

Other wheel bearings: x4
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/360474553025

My cush bearing crapped out at about 12,000km, due to the bearing wobbling the seal was pretty shagged also:

Cush seal:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Metric-Ro...-/390512238156

Wise to carry a spare cush bearing on long trips ;)
:)
Like all of us that have the XT660`s , the cush drive rubbers wear is a pain.
I found an article some time ago on the XT660.com thread.

The chain drive sprocket takes a tremendous load from the power of the engine , which causes the rear wheel bearing to wear excessively , even wearing the Chain Drive Hub Housing ,
The bearing will become loose in the housing at a later stage,

I fitted a double row bearing as apposed th the std single *row bearing.
And with Polyurethane rubbers .I got 56 000km without changing the rubbers again.

You only have to machine the rear hub bearing housing 5mm deeper /
The Bearing I used is still the same dia. as the original.
And machine the inner spacer also 5mm shorter.
It still uses the Standard Yamaha Seal

[size=10pt][size=10pt]Bearing no, 62364.EE From Bearing Man[/size][/size]

Polly Rubbers R950 posted

accentgt8@gmail.com

Crazydog screwed with this post 03-18-2014 at 11:21 PM
Crazydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:07 PM   #4600
barneyrubble
Aspiring overlander

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty4x4 View Post
Hi all. Travelling to Tasmania later this year in October. Riding from Sydney going for 2 weeks. I plan on camping most the night.

Questions are.
I have small normal upgrades. Like bash plate, crash bars, luggage plate, bark buster and hid globe on low beam.

Most of the riding will be road so I'm going to switch back to a road bias tyre.
Thanks.
Might be worth considering things like:
a taller screen
Heated grips
A throttle lock or cramp buster

All depends on what you want to spend. For instance I did some touring with out panniers and since fitting them the bike feels much easier to handle in the loose stuff as the weights lower down. But racks and bags or boxes aren't cheap.
Guess the dilemma is spend the money on the bike or the trip. Don't bother with upgrades and stay in pubs and cheap motels???
Old 03-14-2014, 03:27 PM   #4601
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,130
Quote:

Questions are.

Thanks.
If you haven't done any other work to the cush drive area then I'd be packing it with tube as in the pictures above....not too tight so as to lose the intention of cush rubbers, but enough to hold it all together reasonably firmly. Made a world of difference to mine.

If you're going to load up the back and not be off road, maybe some compensation work on the rear shock/spring due to the extra weight. The front is pretty ordinary in stock form, maybe some work there too?

Tassie has some magnificent dirt roads, why not do something like Mitas E07 50/50 tyres both ends and give yourself the option?? They are great in both areas with longevity very good too.

Heated grips?? Once you've had them you'll never go without.

Enjoy your trip, have only done Tassie in 4WD and would love to it on a bike one day.....

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:01 PM   #4602
Scotty4x4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Thanks for the info everyone.

I'm going with a mate who has a road bike so that's why there won't be much off-road exploring.
I have done the rubber tube packing to the rear end after I notice some movement in it.

-Where can you get taller screens from and what do you recommend. I don't want something that shatters like glass if I hit something.
-what panniers/bags do you recommend, I like the Barrett exhaust racks with wolfman packs.
-do the oxford heated grips fit with the bark busters and who is best to get them off?

I plan on giving my bike a proper service before the trip all fluids, and wheel bearings.
Scotty4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:28 AM   #4603
OzJuJu
Team Barracuda

Quote:
Thanks for the info everyone.

I'm going with a mate who has a road bike so that's why there won't be much off-road exploring.
I have done the rubber tube packing to the rear end after I notice some movement in it.

-Where can you get taller screens from and what do you recommend. I don't want something that shatters like glass if I hit something.
-what panniers/bags do you recommend, I like the Barrett exhaust racks with wolfman packs.
-do the oxford heated grips fit with the bark busters and who is best to get them off?

I plan on giving my bike a proper service before the trip all fluids, and wheel bearings.
Pete at Screens for Bikes made mine, it's awsome. I have the thick polycarbonate smoke unit. Makes the bike look a lot better too.
http://www.screensforbikes.com/

I'd also suggest investing in a Airhawk II and 20mm Bar Risers.
I also have the FAMSA italian tank bag. It's designed for the bike and works at treat. So far my long distance setup suits me
Old 03-15-2014, 03:18 AM   #4604
dzl
adventurer wannabe

Oddometer: 74
[QUOTE So far my long distance setup suits me [/QUOTE]

Hey mate....All you need to do now is some long distance! That stocky front tyre doesn't look like its gone far? Coming up to the OCR????
Old 03-15-2014, 03:24 AM   #4605
OzJuJu
Team Barracuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzl View Post
Hey mate....All you need to do now is some long distance! That stocky front tyre doesn't look like its gone far? Coming up to the OCR????
(this is my replacement bike from the poor baby I wrote off so I had to start again ) I did 2500k's that week, still running er in, did another 1200k's 2 weeks ago on an overnighter, they are stuffed now, thinking of getting some TKC80's, anyone tried these?

OzJuJu screwed with this post 03-16-2014 at 12:52 AM
OzJuJu is offline   Reply With Quote