Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2014, 08:39 AM   #6646
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Donna Fugata View Post
Thanks for your concerns everyone.

Still working on some "small stuff" but Ive been back to work since July and moving along just fine. I feel extremely lucky as it relates to the outcomes of my accident.

I will say, Im so glad that David and I made the decision to ride in September. It takes away some of the anxiety leading into our upcoming April trip.

I'm looking forward to this cold weather passing. I sure am missing my motorbike.
Hello LDF...Parked on your corner last night and thought of you guys. Hope all is well and neither of you are working too hard.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:42 AM   #6647
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,756
^^^ that close and you didn't do a doorbell ditch? what are you, grownup?

francine and i suppose dave as well
Old 01-31-2014, 08:58 AM   #6648
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 24,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by rthuey View Post
^^^ that close and you didn't do a doorbell ditch? what are you, grownup?

francine and i suppose dave as well
His pimp probably didn't allow it.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:28 AM   #6649
dsmack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Thumb Excellent !!!

Rock ON you two!

Great to see you back online LDF. Looking forward to the next adventure in April.
Don
dsmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:46 AM   #6650
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,756
thought just occurred to me. you guys didn't leave us for another forum did you? like one that pays you for your wonderful stories. hey francine who do you want to portray you in the movie version?
Old 02-01-2014, 03:22 PM   #6651
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by rthuey View Post
hey francine who do you want to portray you in the movie version?

Laia Sanz

Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:15 PM   #6652
Slash1
Glad To Be Here

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Steve View Post
Laia Sanz

Sorry. Not pretty enough. Try again.
Slash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #6653
Aldo v2
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarhack View Post
wow. That pic is amazing when clicked

it is huge and the detail is crystal clear.
+1
Aldo v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:00 AM   #6654
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Mobius 12: Sept. 2013...

"The Rematch"

[Las Vegas -> 3-Step Hideaway -> Las Vegas]

A 1900 mile counter-clockwise loop out of Las Vegas. Intended to be a kinder, gentler route, however due to torrential rains and flash flooding across the area in the 2 weeks prior to our arrival, well.... you know what they say about roads paved with good intentions.

Prelude & day 1 - Leaving Las Vegas
Double negative Day 2, Lime Kiln camp to Nutter twists thwarted from getting to Twin & Kelly points.
Camping at Oak Grove,
Day 3: Out to St. George for gas, and back in past Mt. Trumbull (school) to Toroweap.
Day 4, back out again to Kanab/Fredonia, then back in to Point Sublime, and camping at Fire Point.
Day 5, Hiking into Buckskin Gulch slot canyon at Wire Pass, and on to Page, AZ.
Day 6, Grand Staircase/Escalante bypass on pavement (flooding), a lap around the Valley of the Gods, up the
Moki Dugway, and hiking & camping with Scott & Julie at Natural Bridges.
Day 7, the back way over to 3-Step Hideaway.
Day 8, bike maintenance, and hanging out with Scott & Julie at the ranch.
Day 9, heading back west in rain and mud, forcing a paved go-around to camp at Hite Crossing.
Day 10, rerouting around a big washout, then to Capitol Reef, camping at Singletree in the Dixie NF.
Day 11, Hell's Backbone through Escalante to Skunk Creek cowboy camp.
Day 12, a nice connector and a windy ride over to another great cowboy camp.
Day 13, crossing back into NV and stopping to chat with a cowboy on a round-up. A nice night at Caliente.
Day 14, riding down Kane Springs Valley and back to Las Vegas.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 04-17-2014 at 08:27 AM
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:06 AM   #6655
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,532
Woo Hoo!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:21 AM   #6656
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

M12 Prelude

This trip was taken against medical advice. LDF was supposed to take an entire year off motorcycling after her concussion. That said, we'd been talking about changing the tenor of the Mobius trips. Rather than seeking out the baddest ass trails through the remotest areas, rolling into far outposts on fumes, and connecting vast empty areas by the skin of our navigational teeth, we've been considering covering fewer miles per day, incorporating some hiking, taking more off-bike days, visiting friends and family.

At the same time, to be honest, generating a full-on ride report with a minute-by-minute timeline, and lines and arrows drawn on the back for each segment has entered the realm of diminishing returns. I love being able to go back and reference each section and adventure, but it is a ton of work, and I think you'll agree, the quantity and caliber of adventure riding insights and helpful hints that I've been able to provide is starting to (let's be realistic... has long since) plateaued.

I'm the kind of person who loathes covering the same ground twice, whether it's cooking the same dish for dinner, or retracing a route to backtrack after finding a closed gate... I'd much prefer to cut into the new.

That said, I really don't want to stop writing ride reports, I truly enjoy the interaction and the process, and so I think the best compromise will be for everyone to lower their expectations... I mean WAY down. I'm just going to present highlights, not so much detail anymore. If anyone wants specifics, just ask. Here's the link to the M12 Smugmug gallery, the curious stalkers can feel free to peruse all the photos.

This will be the last Mobius section updated on this thread. A dirty dozen... that seems like a nice round number. From here on out, future Mobius rides will have their own little ride report linked to here. We're going to do another this spring, but won't be able to do the next for a year.

The writing is going to be perhaps a little more abstract stream-of-consciousness, but I think with really low expectations, what can go wrong?
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 03-16-2014, 07:29 AM   #6657
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

M12, Day 1

Leaving Las Vegas:

Up and around Lake Mead

And straight out of the gates, I put Francine on a hellish sand wash.

It wasn't supposed to be like this, I swear. (then she swears )
Old 03-16-2014, 07:37 AM   #6658
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

In my head

"Still don't know what I was waitin' for
And my time was runnin' wild
A million dead end streets..."

"Every time I thought I'd got it made
It seemed the taste was not so sweet,"

"So I turned myself to face me
But I've never caught a glimpse,"

"Of how the others must see the faker
I'm much too fast to take that test."

Old 03-16-2014, 07:43 AM   #6659
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

You have two choices

to clear the Muddy River north of Lake Mead... Overton, or the interstate.

That's Overton, where the lush green is:

We were looking for Double Negative (1969), by Michael Heizer. We knew we were close.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:47 AM   #6660
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,138