Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2014, 11:17 AM   #6691
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Next stop

Mt. Trumbull School,

Definitely worth a stop...

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #6692
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Onward & upward

Up on Mt. Trumbull, where my brother works stacking firewood.

At the summit,

and then on the backside, the most amazing show of springtime in September I've ever seen!

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 03-16-2014, 11:30 AM   #6693
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The road

out to Toroweap was pretty awesome.

I was happy we'd be staying there.

I can't recall if there was public water available here,

The road from the ranger station to the campsite had some technical sections, but nothing LDF couldn't do.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:35 AM   #6694
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 817
Glad to see this report coming online. A tip for fltering muddy water; prefilter though a piece of cloth like a Tshirt or bandana to keep from clogging the filter. Even with a backwash filter it will make the filter work longer.

Carry on.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:40 AM   #6695
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The campground

was nearly empty, and we picked a primo spot, threw our gear down, changed out of our riding stuff, and hiked to the look-out.

Evidence of recent rain -- didn't look like water would be a problem even though we were stocked up.

Jungle in the desert. Crazy lush green, right?

Old 03-16-2014, 11:43 AM   #6696
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBAT View Post
Glad to see this report coming online. A tip for fltering muddy water; prefilter though a piece of cloth like a Tshirt or bandana to keep from clogging the filter. Even with a backwash filter it will make the filter work longer.

Carry on.
Yeah, in a lot of cases that'll help, I had the pre-filters on -- both the sponge, and the cloth-like one that is around the filter, but this stuff was superfine suspended silt. The water had been sitting still for probably 1-2 days, and it was still cloudy. The problem with the Katydin is there is NO option to back flush, while with the Saywer you can. Plus, the Katydin filters are kind of pricey.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #6697
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,115
As usual you put up awesome pictures and and a great report.

Moving forward, I'm sure your reports will still be great even if they're (intentionally) less informative. Just keep posting the pretty pictures and I'll be happy happy happy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:50 AM   #6698
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Ok,

I will try to limit myself.

But seriously, Toroweap is one of the most spectacularly beautiful places we've been.

(Click on the panorama below to open it full-sized in a new window, then click on THAT image to zoom it to full size, then scroll around and enjoy )

Looking down from the edge -- about 3000ft.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:56 AM   #6699
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 834
F5 Day!!

LDF is lookin great and awesome photos as always Doc.

Thanks for posting, I have recently learned how much work it is
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:56 AM   #6700
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Just a couple more

We hiked back to our camp via the nature trail, and by the time we got back it was so dark we were having trouble seeing the cairns, although the moon was pretty bright.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #6701
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRRambler View Post
F5 Day!!

LDF is lookin great and awesome photos as always Doc.

Thanks for posting, I have recently learned how much work it is
Hey, welcome back! You did a great job, and posting from the trail as well. It's a little easier when you take months to get your act together like I do.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #6702
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

"Changes
Turn and face the strange
Changes"

"Don't want to be a richer man
Changes"

"Turn and face the strange
(Changes)"

"Just gonna have to be a different man
Time may change me
But I can't trace time"

"I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence"

"So the days float through my eyes"

"But stil the days seem the same..."

DR. Rock screwed with this post 03-16-2014 at 12:09 PM
Old 03-16-2014, 12:14 PM   #6703
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The moon was so bright, it was like sleeping under a streetlight.

Day 3 stats:

Old 03-16-2014, 12:20 PM   #6704
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

M12 Day 4

Toroweap to Kanab/Fredonia to Point Sublime (finally ), to Fire Point,

We were up at dawn.

Here you go, now she's smiling on the outside too.

Just add coffee.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #6705
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Toroweap is

an out-and-back road

so we got to see the same awesome stuff from the opposite direction.

This was one occasion where I was not disappointed to backtrack.

Back through fields of gold,

The grand staircase in the distance. We'd tackle that in a couple of days,