Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2014, 01:57 PM   #6706
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,300
That is such a bee-you-tea-full. Part of the country.
I enjoyed it in October, but it was getting chilly

Glad to see you back writing Again Doc!

The Blog from our adventure ride
Stan Dalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:58 PM   #6707
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
I won't bore

you with the morning's video update, only to note that I mentioned that we were starting to yearn for a shower, or at least some running water with which to wash up. Plan was Fredonia for supplies, then Point Sublime for the night, and then maybe the next night a motel.

Heading back south from Fredonia was familiar terrain. In order to make better time we skipped the Jerrying section we'd done before which I'd routed in just for old-times sake.

Instead, we stuck to the larger FS roads so we could get to Point Sublime early enough to go for a hike and enjoy the view.

Here's the only clue that it was Sept. and not June:

I'd routed a small-road cut across that I wasn't sure would go through,

but it did!

Fun!

So we get to the North Rim Ranger station where we have to get a back country pass to camp at Point Sublime and...
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:07 PM   #6708
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

There's

bad news, and there's bad news. If you recall, we'd been thwarted from getting to Point Sublime back in 2008 on Mobius 2 and I've always wanted to go back.

Wellll... the ranger tells us, that the road to Point Sublime is closed, they're working on it from all the flooding damage. Point Sublime is accessible, but from a long way go-around that's gonna involve a bunch of backtracking, AND, all the camping permits for tonight have been claimed.

Meanwhile, another ranger is eyeing our bikes, and walks in and starts chatting to LDF about where we've been, and how we roll... he also rides.

He tells us that we'd have no problem riding the road to Point Sublime (not the go-around), and the first ranger says, well, if you do that, you could first go to Point Sublime, and then ride past that and camp at either Swamp Point or Fire Point. Swamp Point has two or three campsites, but Fire Point is only one campsite, and it's available.

They show us the map, and it looks like it'll be good riding, and so we opt for Fire Point. and get our assess in gear, because we know the road was a little challenging when it was dry in '08, so we expect it'll be a mess now.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 03-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #6709
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

They tell us

"Watch out for the bull dozer or grader, or whatever they have out there, but they should be close to here 'cause they're almost done. Once you're past them, there won't be anyone else on the road, 'cause technically it's still closed.

We can live with that. I drop my bike going around the grader (they were taking a break, and had a good laugh), and then we haul the mail.

Turns out the road isn't that bad, on accounna they just fixed it, (duh) and we're having a ball.

We found the cut-off we'd have to ride back to.

As we got closer, the road goes right up to the edge,

It's pretty cool, there's canyon on either side, though the campsites aren't so great-- and that's not just sour grapes.

At the very tip of the point, it's just a picnic area, but I bet off season you could if no one else was there.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:35 PM   #6710
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

As we're there

Another ranger comes up in a pick-up from the long way. Also rides motorcycles. Studied philosophy, just graduated. He's there to clean the toilets. Makes sense in our brave new economy.

Nice guy, we chat awhile, and give him a card -- maybe he'll check in?

The light isn't great, it's mid-afternoon, so the photos aren't as nice as Toroweap, but we try.

(The Humphrey's near Flagstaff in the distance)

(again, click on the panorama below to open the image in a separate window, then click on THAT image to zoom, then scroll around and enjoy)

I climbed out to the actual point of Point Sublime

and took another panorama. This version, same deal:

This is as close as Francine would get to the edge. (You know she's not the only one afraid of bears -- is anyone else following the stock market???)

Old 03-16-2014, 02:40 PM   #6711
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 824
Fantastic canyon pics

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:45 PM   #6712
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Thanks, Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBAT View Post
Fantastic canyon pics
This trip, besides the Leica M9, and the Olympus tough P&S, Francine was carrying the Ricoh GR. It's a fantastic little camera, APS-C sensor, fixed lens, intuitive and awesome manual over-rides, and truly pocketable.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #6713
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

So now

since we didn't score a camping permit for Point Sublime, and even though no one else is there, we've got to haul ass over to Fire Point. Our expectations are low, and it would be an understatement to say we were a little disappointed.

On the ride there, we were never riding right up on the edge like out to Point Sublime. We passed all the vehicles coming in to camp at Point Sublime, so if we had stayed there without a permit it wouldn't have been too cool.

We get to the end of the road turnaround at Fire Point,

and we have a look around...

and it's not just awesome,

it's SUPER AWESOME!!!

Old 03-16-2014, 02:58 PM   #6714
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We set up our tent

Right on the edge, and there's a landing below where we can cook and eat dinner...

but first, a toast!

We just sit there taking it all in.

Fire Point is on the East Rim, and so you've got a front row seat for the sunset.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:03 PM   #6715
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We cook dinner

and take photos, and just decompress.

Every few minutes the light changes and becomes more and more incredible.

I take a video.

Lets see how that turned out. :lol

Old 03-16-2014, 03:12 PM   #6716
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It's a full moon

We spend the evening just watching the shadows of the clouds make different figures on the landscape... "oh, that's a horse." "I'm not seeing it." I see a gopher". "Or a rat." "Look at that one, it's a chainsaw". But now it's turning into a that pointy hat the Pope wears." "Oh wow, it IS the Pope." and so on well into the night. It was so bright, you could see COLORS!

Stats for day 4:

Old 03-16-2014, 03:24 PM   #6717
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

M12 Day 5

From Fire Point to Wire Pass to Page, AZ and running water.

We'd seen this on the way in, and remembered to take a photo on the way out to remember "Fire Point"

Fire Point: Highly Recommended.

The road out was easy and pretty, especially with the morning light:

Morning video update -- a commentary on road conditions:

some morning meandering,

He's got his work cut out for him.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:30 PM   #6718
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I'd scouted a connector

to get to House Rock Road. We'd stopped a Jacob Lake to gas up, and we had a cuppa hot joe and some pastries. Civilized.

It was some good riding, and the best part is that it connected.

That's House Rock Valley down below where we're headed, and the Paria Canyon Vermillion Cliffs Wilderness beyond where the Wave, Coyote buttes, and other neat (but potentially lethal) places to hike are found.

Click on the image below for a bigger version to read the text:

DR. Rock screwed with this post 03-16-2014 at 03:46 PM
Old 03-16-2014, 03:37 PM   #6719
Doppelganger
Alive & Living

Oddometer: 144
Toroweap = my new background
Old 03-16-2014, 03:43 PM   #6720
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,445
MOAR!