Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
We cruised

northward,

Crossed the state line,

and just past that,

we got to the Wire Pass trail head,

parked, and changed into some walking shoes,

and headed up the wash towards the slot canyon.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:59 PM   #6722
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,611
Nice pics Doc. Great to see the report from your rides.

Lots to ask you about since I want to head out to Utah in the beginning of April. I think I'll send you a PM.

Read up on double negative. I'm obviously too much of an engineer to get that sort of thing.

Hey, one more Q for the masses, are you using HDR and lightroom on the pics? Or just natural light? Whatever you are doing, keep doing it.

Regards,
David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:08 PM   #6723
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The hike

is pretty easy the whole way, You're basically walking downstream,

Recent rains had left their mark,

The slot drains a huge watershed, so a little bit of rain all drains into the same canyon and it can fill quickly.

Most people who want to experience a slot canyon hike into the Antelope canyon upper or lower,

That's right outside Page, AZ.

but it's on indian reservation land, and you can only go in with a guide,

and you have to pay a fee, and wait in lines, and it seems a little touristy,

Wire Pass / Horseshoe gulch canyon you can hike into by yourself,

You pay a small fee at the trailhead,

It's a cool hike,

but man, it's a bitch to photograph.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 03-16-2014, 04:22 PM   #6724
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

High noon

is NOT, I think, the best time to photograph a slot canyon.

It opens up, then get narrow again,

Finally, you get to this big area which is the confluence of the Coyote Wash and the Paria River.

It isn't that far,

From there, you can hike up or down the Paria River, and it turns out that this is the longest slot canyon in North America. (Not the Wire Pass branch we hiked, but the Buckskin Gulch / Paria River section).
Old 03-16-2014, 04:27 PM   #6725
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We hiked

a little ways up and down from the confluence,

But it was really wet and muddy.

So we headed back to our bikes.

Good times. Highly recommended.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #6726
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We encountered

more road work,

and stopped at the Big Water Ranger station, and got work that likely ALL roads in Grand Staircase between Page & Escalante are impassable.

So we headed across the Colorado River,

to Page to get a room with a shower. Man did we get ripped, it was ridiculously expensive for a shitty motel, but that's Page for you.

But we had cold beer, and got clean. We ate dinner in a restaurant too, I think. In a shopping mall? I tend to blank those memories out.

Stats for day 5:

Old 03-16-2014, 04:44 PM   #6727
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Ok,

I need to take a break, my eyeballs are melting from looking at a computer screen.

Talk amongst yourselves, and look both ways before crossing the street. At least tonight, in NYC, while I'm on call.

Thank you.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:08 PM   #6728
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
Talk amongst yourselves, and look both ways before crossing the street. At least tonight, in NYC, while I'm on call.

Thank you.
I'm liking this "stream of consciousness" photostream. Thanks much for posting them!
Old 03-16-2014, 05:25 PM   #6729
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,159
Exploring afoot from time to time enriches the experience, I think. Those who just roll on through are missing so much.

Glad you took us to that canyon, Doc.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:40 PM   #6730
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by timk519 View Post
I'm liking this "stream of consciousness" photostream. Thanks much for posting them!
It's more funner to write too. I could get used to these lowered standards.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:42 PM   #6731
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
Exploring afoot from time to time enriches the experience, I think. Those who just roll on through are missing so much.

Glad you took us to that canyon, Doc.
Good to hear from you Tony. Are you lonely in ID with your little buddy gone to CA? I still haven't heard any details, hope he's doing well.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:43 PM   #6732
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,611
I like the new format also, ya doing good Doc.
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #6733
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Mobius 12, Day 6

We'd been pushing pretty hard up 'till now. We spent some time that evening reconnecting to email and voice mail and busting out the maps figuring out an alternate plan since our original route going north across Grand Staircase Escalante via Smokey Mountain, and then East across the Wolverine loop, Burr Trail, and Hall Ferry weren't going to be possible.

The plan we jiggered, was to grind out some pavement staying south of Lake Powell, and head north to Valley of the Gods, Moki dug way, and meeting Scott & Julie at Natural Bridges for the evening.

It was a chilly morning, and windy as I recall.

We saw some 4X4's with cages in the pickup bed and tourists trapped inside heading out to Antelope Canyon. They had megaphones on the roof blasting something inspirational.

The section was paved.

Otherwise benign.

Buncha tourists were taking pitchers somewhere around here,

Dingweeds told me it was a Forest Gump thing.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:03 PM   #6734
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Crossing

the San Juan river at Mexican Hat.

and THE Mexican Hat at Mexican Hat. Didn't even slow down for this one.

And how often do you get to use THAT smiley?
Old 03-16-2014, 06:08 PM   #6735
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Next up

Valley of the Gods

Easy riding, fantastic scenery... Highly recommended!

I especially liked making up my own names for the rock formations.

Naturally, they mostly refer to human anatomy and/or unspeakable acts, so I'll just be keeping them to myself.