User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2014, 10:42 AM   #6766
Rider John
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Dr. Rock & LDF,
Glad to see you all are back on the bikes again. LDF we are so happy to see you are doing great! We would also like to thank you both for inspiring us to climb out of our rut and begin a new life as overlander's traveling through places in the USA we never would have visited and seen before. Our bike is always with us so we can get to places our rig will not go. Thanks to you all we are living our dream! Hope our paths cross somewhere out there.
Enjoy the day!
Rider John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:58 AM   #6767
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrider View Post
Doc, Wow, the Toroweap photos are fantastic. How many photos did you stitch together for the panorama? You must still be using the Leica. The detail is amazing. ....
Leica M9, full frame sensor, (18.5MP) in portrait orientation X 20 frames.

It's big, that's 3821X30,000 pixels = 114.1 megapixels (aspect ratio: 7.85:1)

And it's heavy: Full .tiff image is 930MB, (.jpg version is only 18MB)
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:12 AM   #6768
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Mobius 12, Day 7

From Natural Bridges National Monument to 3-Step Hideaway

A beautiful morning, Julie tried to tempt us into tossing our gear in the back of the truck, but we knew better -- who knows when you're going to need a mid-day hot chocolate, or have to adjust your valves or change your underwear or something.

Into the Manti-La Sal NF, up past Maverick Point towards Bear's ears pass,

It was just like old times, except no helicopter.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 03-17-2014, 11:21 AM   #6769
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Bear's ears Pass

They don't really look like Bear's ears to me. The pioneers who named all these things must have seen danger everywhere. I see breasts everywhere.

The next valley,

Nice, easy princess roads,

Old 03-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #6770
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,460
I took a day off yesterday to go for a ride and came back to beautiful pics and video of NV, UT, and AZ!
I wonder who didn't get affected by the Sept. Weather. I was there (UT) on the 9th and 10th and got dumped on.
Glad you guys had a good ride and getting back into the groove.
Thanks for all the work putting the maps, videos, photos and report together.
Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #6771
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

C'mon

You can ride this. I know you can. :roll eyes

Toldja.

Fast...

and then...
Old 03-17-2014, 11:33 AM   #6772
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
I took a day off yesterday to go for a ride and came back to beautiful pics and video of NV, UT, and AZ!
I wonder who didn't get affected by the Sept. Weather. I was there (UT) on the 9th and 10th and got dumped on.
Glad you guys had a good ride and getting back into the groove.
Thanks for all the work putting the maps, videos, photos and report together.
A day off what??? I thought you were retired! :loll

Good to see you around, Bob, if only online.

When we were in the motel in Page trying to figure out an alternate route heading east, we found the video below online, and right then decided to take the flooding risk seriously, but it also explained a lot about what we were seeing from the aftermath.

Here in NYC we'd heard about all the flooding and damage in Colorado, but I guess those same systems passed over UT & northern AZ only they aren't as populated, so the damage wasn't reported in the media. Impressive, eh?
Old 03-17-2014, 11:35 AM   #6773
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,091
The pics keep getting better, if that is possible. I get the taking too much time to write them, so I will just look at your smugmug and be happy.
BTW I was with a friend who is never in the city yesterday. We parked just about on your corner, walked by your place down to EMS and then over to REI. She kept saying "I want to live so far from here" I said I love it here, just need the freedom to leave and recharge and told her about you guys and your trips.
I will show her some images, to truly convey it.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #6774
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Can't blame this

on the weather...

It was break-time anyway.

Lickety split, back in bidness.

Artesian well -- running even. In 20 years, this will be gold.

Sun break.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:46 AM   #6775
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,673
Dammit, how'm I supposed to get any work done when I know if I hit the advrider button there'll be a new installment...

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:48 AM   #6776
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Great day riding

I'd routed a sort of back way end around to get to the 3-Step, and I'm sure Dingweed knows a better way, but for whatever reason he indulges my ideas and goes along good-naturedly.

The next section was the part I wasn't so sure about.

[aside: I had TOTALLY blanked out that we got chased down, boxed in, and yelled at by a rancher in a pick-up truck when we found ourselves on some poorly signed private property just outside Blanding. I mentioned it in the above video, but had totally forgotten. I blame my forgetting on Francine's head injury.]

Old 03-17-2014, 11:54 AM   #6777
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Those mountains

way on the horizon are near where we're heading.

A few more hills,

and valleys,

then it flattened out a bit, and got aggy for a few miles.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:59 AM   #6778
dustyrider
dirt is just better

Oddometer: 110
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
Leica M9, full frame sensor, (18.5MP) in portrait orientation X 20 frames.

It's big, that's 3821X30,000 pixels = 114.1 megapixels (aspect ratio: 7.85:1)

And it's heavy: Full .tiff image is 930MB, (.jpg version is only 18MB)
The years of practice are really paying off. Stunning images of one of my favorite places. Not sure my computer would handle files that size without gasping for air. Really appreciate the time and effort.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:01 PM   #6779
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,685
Great pics! Glad to see you two back on the road.

I've got to get out there with my DR next time.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:03 PM   #6780
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
It has been such a pleasure to follow along all these years, something I will remember for a the rest of my day's!

Thanks so much for sharing all of your adventure.

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote