User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #16
Prime Mover
Anything Can Happen

Oddometer: 1,019
I'm in!!

Nice bike there that Suzuki V-Strom DL650 is ...... (yeah, I got one)

Thanks for sharing.
"Better to live alone in the desert than with a nagging wife" - Proverbs 21:19
Prime Mover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #17
SuttoFL OP
Fueled and ready

Oddometer: 67
San Antonio was great. All of the hotels were booked but I got lucky and slid into this awesome little boutique hotel called Hotel Havana right after someone had cancelled their reservation so I scored a room.

I had to kill a couple of hours before my room would be ready so I walked down to the Riverwalk to see what that's all about. I really liked it..very nice place to just wander along the river and occasionally stop somewhere for lunch or a beer.

I also went to The Alamo. Truth be told, I wasn't all that into it. I find the story to be fascinating but for some reason I just wasn't "feeling" the history there. That could be because there were a bazillion tourists all over the place and tons of souvenir and food carts selling cheesy trinkets and cotton candy.

I took exactly one picture at The Alamo.

Anyway, after a bit the room was ready so I went back, got my key (an actual KEY!) and went upstairs to grab a shower, do a little laundry in the sink and take a nap.

Very cool room with antique furniture and an old-school (looking) refrigerator. I love unique places like this.

After getting cleaned up and taking a nap I headed out, wandered the city a bit, had a "Cuban sandwich" (I'm from Tampa..this was not a Cuban sandwich but it was good) and some whiskey and then just hung out at the hotel bar for a bit talking to the bartender before I called it a night.

Sunday morning I rolled out of town, not really sure where I was going to go next. I stopped for breakfast just outside San Antonio and managed to find a campground with one vacancy, which I quickly reserved. From there it was about a two hour ride to Black Rock Park, just outside Kingsland, TX where I would camp alongside the Colorado River.

The scenery began to change...

I set up my campsite in crazy wind, which is always fun, and settled in for a nice night camping with NO CAMPFIRE! Fire ban was in effect. Turned out not to matter. I met this really nice couple staying nearby and they invited me to join them for dinner and margaritas at the local Mexican joint. We hung out at the bar for a few hours and then went back to my campsite where we sat around the table drinking wine and just enjoying the beautiful weather.

The next morning I packed up camp in HOWLING wind.

Then I turned toward Austin, where I still am. This place is awesome. I had planned on heading out of town today but last night I met a couple of lovely young ladies and tonight we are going to catch the Albert Hammond, Jr. show at Stubb's BBQ here in downtown Austin.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #18
SuttoFL OP
Fueled and ready

www.youtube.com/embed/E3leF1d-LDw

Old 03-17-2014, 05:01 PM   #19
iDave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Happy belated 35th Sutto! Keep posting!
iDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:36 PM   #20
whatsgnu
Scheissekopf

Oddometer: 279
Looks like a great trip and a great bike !!
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.
whatsgnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:11 PM   #21
Haywood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Thumb Austin

Ah, yes, Austin. Not the worse place to have a travel delay. I spent four years there in the early eighties when the airport was an air force base. Running around the hill country (and sixth street ) on my '82 GPz550. Too much fun.

Oh, and happy B-day! It was mine also yesterday. You turned 35, I turned 53.

Haywood screwed with this post 03-17-2014 at 07:36 PM
Haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:33 PM   #22
HPTuner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Happy late b-day, dude! Safe trails to ya!
HPTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:50 AM   #23
HPTuner
Gnarly Adventurer

Earth to Sutto... are you out there? Last we heard was something about 2 ladies...?
Old 03-23-2014, 10:37 AM   #24
Haywood
Gnarly Adventurer

2 ladies, in Austin, during some kind of festival. We may have lost him.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:13 PM   #25
houndawgg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Happy Birthday, Found this about cowboy churches
Cowboy churches are local Christian churches within the cowboy culture that are distinctively Western heritage in character. A typical cowboy church may meet in a rural setting in a barn, metal building, arena, sale barn, or old western building, have its own rodeo arena, and a country gospel band. Baptisms are generally done in a stock tank. The sermons are usually short and simple, in order to better to be understood by the parishioners. Some cowboy churches have covered arenas where rodeo events such as bull riding, team roping, ranch sorting, team penning and equestrian events are held on weeknights. Many cowboy churches have existed throughout the western states for the past forty or fifty years, however just in the past fifteen or so years has there been an explosion of growth within the “movement”. Prior to 1980 there were no less than 5 cowboy churches in Texas, now the number exceeds 200, and there are an estimated 750 nationwide. There has been no definitive group that established the movement; rather it seems to have had a spontaneous beginning in diverse areas of the country at nearly the same time. Some of these cowboy churches are an outgrowth of ministries to professional rodeo or team roping events, while the roots of many can be traced back to ministry events associated with ranch rodeos, ranch horse competitions, chuck wagon cooking competitions, cowboy poetry gatherings and other “cowboy culture” events.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:10 PM   #26
SuttoFL OP
Fueled and ready

I'm alive!

Apologies for the delay in updating but I've been holed up in a hotel since Wednesday with some sort of viral infection thing..pretty sure it's The Plague. And no, my Austin Princesses did not give it to me.

Here's a recap of my time in Austin as well as camping at Guadalupe River State Park. Tomorrow I'm heading back to Austin for one night (don't judge me!) and then I'm pointing it west. I've been in this area of Texas for way too long.

Hope everyone is doing well and thanks for the happy birthday wishes!

http://youtu.be/k-Jq0aivv1Q

Old 03-23-2014, 07:37 PM   #27
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,577
Hey new V Strom owner here and now I on the bus with ya,got my Whiskey and I'm ready to travel with ya!
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:53 PM   #28
Haywood
Gnarly Adventurer

No apologies necessary, it's your ride report, but glad to see you are still with us.
I'm not going to point any fingers or cast any stones about your other comments either. Party on!
Old 03-23-2014, 08:06 PM   #29
HPTuner
Gnarly Adventurer

As per George Strait - All my exes live in Texas....
Old 03-23-2014, 08:25 PM   #30
westerlywinds
Two Wheels-Ride it

Oddometer: 160
Hi SuttoFl. I just read your report I am in El Paso and in the tent space list. If you make it to this part of Texas look me up.
westerlywinds is offline   Reply With Quote