Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2014, 12:36 PM   #406
MeinMotorrad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyDRZ400 View Post
No its much much worst, i am currently in Northen England a place i wish no man to every visit

Sorry for delay, i will update the blog at the weekend
I'm from the north
Old 03-17-2014, 12:49 PM   #407
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
I'm from the north

I was only joking........
WesleyDRZ400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #408
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,049
Quote:

I was only joking........
Are y'all referring to Scotland?
Old 03-17-2014, 01:32 PM   #409
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear View Post
Are y'all referring to Scotland?
No, i spend alot of time in Scotland due to work and if you ask me its the best part of the UK
Old 03-17-2014, 01:43 PM   #410
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,049
Quote:
No, i spend alot of time in Scotland due to work and if you ask me its the best part of the UK
You do know what day this is....

Old 03-17-2014, 03:28 PM   #411
MeinMotorrad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Quote:
I wonder if it will stay in the UK.

Anyway. Back to the RR.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:38 PM   #412
Baggi'tard
Assventure rider

Oddometer: 538
Can't believe I finally just stumbled upon this report. How Walter-esque to start off.. TB, women, women, and drinking.. Oh the next 25 pages will zoom by..

"Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger.
KTM 640E, KTM Duke II, Ducati Multistrada 1100S

Baggi'tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:51 AM   #413
babar69
Stay light as light

Oddometer: 28
scotland ?

Don't tell a Scotish they are the best part of UK, cause they are not part of UK
Old 03-22-2014, 03:13 PM   #414
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
So i set off on the road again and soon got stopped at a police check point, in the Caucasus's there is quit alot of police check points.

So this police office took my driving licence of me and then walked away and i just waited and about ten minutes later he came back and started looking at my bike.

Now Aslan had written on my bike just like all the people i meet did but Aslan had written in his native language of Adygea, the police officer saw what he had written and asked me who write this and i explained a friend from Maykop "Ochen drogue Maykop"

He then gave me my drivers licence back with a smile and let me on my way.

I am not sure what he had written on my bike but it was something the police officer liked.

So i got lost again and stopped near the town of Armavir and asked for directions but the guy i asked said i must follow him back to his house so i did

Well turns out he is a biker and has a bike workshop so i was to stay for dinner

He called this food boiled ear, well boiled ear soon became my favorite food

So after talking he said he has a friend who will meet me in the Republic of North Ossetia–Alania and i was to stay with him at his home, he then asked me if i have a phone as i was to call this man when i got to North Ossetia

I had my I-phone but it does not work when i leave England as i only use if for wifi so i explained "I-phone Nyet Sputnik" (I-Phone no satellite)

Well he then gave me his Samsung phone and sketched me a map of where i was to stop and then call his friend who would meet me and i was to stay with, but he also told me his friend does not speak English so i was to stop at the North Ossetia border crossing

Would you give a stranger you only just met your Samsung phone who was to give it to your friend he was supposed to meet a few hours later?

Well they do in the in Russia

Well after feeding me and watering me i set off to The Republic of North Ossetia–Alania however i would meet a new friend on the way as was the case throughout this trip, he was to show me Ingushetia and Chechnya which i never planned to see, well more on that later

The Republic of North Ossetia–Alania Flag with the Coat Of Arms

Well i am carrying on the ride report tonight so will just quote the section where i left to make sense of this ride report which was heading from the Republic of Adygea to North Ossetia in the Russian Caucasus's where i then planned to head to Georgia but plans change as always...........
Old 03-22-2014, 03:15 PM   #415
Boarder06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Well i am carrying on the ride report tonight so will just quote the section where i left to make sense of this ride report which was heading from the Republic of Adygea to North Ossetia in the Russian Caucasus's where i then planned to head to Georgia but plans change as always...........
Well, about time mate. What took you so long
Old 03-22-2014, 06:43 PM   #416
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

North Ossetia & meeting new friends

So i headed off with the Samsung phone i was given and a sketched map of where i was to stop and then call dima who is the friend of the man i met in Amavir as i was to stay with him however i was told he does not speak English so when i get to the North Ossetia border point which is a police checkpoint i should call him and he would meet me.

So for now the plan was to head to North Ossetia spend the night there and then head to Georgia to get (well try to get) a Azerbaijan visa to catch a boat to Kazakhstan to continue heading to Tajikistan.......... yep i am confused also

So anyway i pushed on making good time

So i made it to what i though was the North Ossetia border crossing police check point and got told by a policeman to wait for document checks

I then had to have a breath test in which it showed i failed, well i had not drunk no alcohol so i just smiled at the guy saying the machine must be broken and standing away from me waiting to show his documents was a very tall man i would say well over 6ft (with me being 5ft 10) who ask me if everything was ok and i replied the breath test machine must be broken and he smiled and told me he is a biker also (however for now he was in a van) I could not understand what he said to the police guy but i think it was something like "i will look after him"

So we got speaking and he ask me where i was going and i told him i was to meet a man called Dima here but as i did not speak Russian i passed him the phone and he called Dima and after speaking to him he told me i was in the wrong place, his name was Magamad but he said i could call him Maga

A photo of me & Maga later on in my trip outside the famous Akhmad Kadyrov Mosque in Grozny

He said he is passing the checkpoint i need to be at so i should follow his van, so i asked him where he is from and where he is going to and he said he is from The Republic of Ingushetia

I said "Ingushetia" i have been told that place is a war zone and did my international symbol for war zone which is to pretend i was firing a gun in the air with my hands (however i would also do this to describe the next town down from where i live in England, the notorious & infamous sea side town of Great Yarmouth)

Maga just smiled and said it was not like this and i felt a little ashamed i even asked him if it was like this as how would you feel if a stranger has been told the area you live is not safe maybe....

However my judgement of this was from people in Sochi as they were worried that someone who does not speak Russian heading off into the Kavkaz is not a good idea as there is some small problems in some areas , also the same advice i got from people i met on the way down to Sochi and also my ex Girlfriend (a Russian who lives in Moscow) who i called before when in Sochi saying i would head to Georgia via North Ossetia all said to avoid Ingushetia, Chechnya & Dagestan.

All people told me to avoid these areas

Well as i knew nothing about these areas i googled the latest British travel warning for these areas which was the following

The Republic of Ingushetia
WARNING: Ingushtetia is presently a war zone is most emphatically NOT a tourist destination. Visitors are in fear of murders and kidnappings by government forces, high-profile crimes, periodic civil disorders and bombings. Travellers should consult to their embassy and request expert information before travelling to the region.

The Republic of Chechnya
WARNING Chechnya is most emphatically not a tourist destination and not safe for independent travel or sightseeing. Most foreign governments advise against non-essential travel. Those visiting for business, research, or international aid purposes should consult with their organization and seek expert guidance before planning a trip.

However i must say since finishing this motorbike trip i now believe Micky Mouse must be running and writing the travel advice for the British Foreign travel office as it is either totally out of date or is totally wrong, best travel advice is from locals near the areas you are traveling or want to travel to

So i followed Maga and we arrived at another check point and Maga waited with me for Dima to arrive however whilst we waited another local police man came up and said i crossed the white line in which after a few minutes and also with Maga speaking to him he let me off with a warning and then we just discussed things about my bike like my two fuel tanks and my water pack on my back.

So Dima turned up, he was a tall man also but well built maybe looking abit like the Russian MMA fighter Fedor Emelianenko,

Fedor is one of my favorite (both now retired from fighting) MMA fighters along with Andrei Arlovski so as i can not currently find a photo of Dima you guys reading this ride report can just think of him as looking very much like Fedor

Well i said my goodbyes to Maga who gave me his phone number and he said he would show me Ingushetia and it is not a dangerous area which i though was very kind of him to take time out to show me this area and as i don't understand Russian this would be great to have a local show me around, i only just met Maga but straight way i could tell he was a good man and with only just meeting him i decided to take his advice rather than the advice of the British Foreign travel office.

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 03-23-2014 at 01:18 AM
Old 03-22-2014, 07:06 PM   #417
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 766
Damn. I want to ride my bike across Eastern Europe.

Just picked up this thread. Loving it.
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #418
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So i followed Dima in the black car in front

Colors on bridge of North Ossetia Flag

So Dima took me to a lock up garage where his friend was waiting who was also very big and we put my bike in the Garage and then Dima drove around showing me North Ossetia

So the Sputnik Explorer got some much deserved down time

Dima had a CD TV player in his car and put on a CD for me to watch which had traditional kavkaz (caucasus) Lezginka dancing on which is the national dance of the many people in the Caucasus Mountains and is pretty amazing, here is a video i found on you tube to show you the Kavkaz dance

We headed to look at the famous mountains

Weather was not great so i did not take many pictures outside the car

North Ossetia down town vladikavkaz

So after meeting some of his friends and then also showing me around North Ossetia we headed back to Dimas home where his wife had prepared food which was very kind of her

After the food was washed down with a few "nostrovia's"drinks

As i have said before in this ride report i am not actually a drinking man and back home i seldom drink however as a solo traveler i never want to offend and if someone offers me a drink i will drink it as not to offend , also as i have been traveling to Russia alot since 2006 due to my ex girlfriend living in Moscow i already knew from the visit to her grandparents house and also drinking with her father that if a Russian offers you a drink you cant fight it you just drink it (photo taken in 2007)

So after i got shown to my room which was in another flat with a few men staying in there around the same age as me, Dima said he would meet me in the morning early for breakfast and by then we had also called Maga who said he would meet me at the North Ossetia to Ingushetia border post so the plan for the next day was to visit Ingushetia with Maga who i met previously that day randomly at the North Ossetia checkpoint

I got told by my friends in Sochi that my luck would soon run out as i have had to much luck this trip with meeting great people however my luck would last this whole trip, maybe its not luck maybe people from Eastern Europe on wards are just more friendly in general that people in Western Europe ?

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 03-22-2014 at 09:20 PM
Old 03-22-2014, 08:51 PM   #419
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Republic of Ingushetia Flag

I like this flag alot due to its meaning as Maga told me that the 3 half circles stand for yesterday, today and tomorrow (past, present and future) which i like alot

So Dima took me back to the lock up to get the Sputnik Explorer in which i took off all the luggage and then we set off to meet Maga

After meeting Maga i got Petrol and then we set off to Ingushetia which was a great feeling to visit a area i never planed to visit, Maga's bike is a Yamaha XJ600 Diversion

So we set off

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 03-22-2014 at 11:02 PM
Old 03-22-2014, 11:55 PM   #420
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So we headed to Nazran to the memorial complex dedicated to the Ingush and Chechen victims of Stalinist political oppression.

This is a statue of a famous world war 2 Ingush Hero called Umatgirei Barkhanoyev from the Ingush village of Yandare

I found this on the internet about him.
In 1941, when Germans attacked the USSR, the whole Russian front was retreating 40 km a day. Out of 6,500 defenders of Brest Fortress 6,000 Soviet troops capitulated. 500 troops were fresh conscripts of Ingush and Chechen origin. Defenders held the fortress for over a month against the Germans and even managed to stage several attacks from the Fortress. The last defender's name has been unknown for a long time; his documents identified him as a man called Barkhanoyev. Decades later, official records revealed it was Umatgirei Barkhanoyev from the Ingush village of Yandare. Recently, the memoirs of Stankus Antanas, a Lithuanian national and former Waffen SS officer, were published in Ingushetia. He recalls that in July 1941, his regiment was ordered to "finish off" the remaining Soviet soldiers in the fortress. When the Nazis decided that no defenders had been left alive, an SS general lined up his soldiers on the parade ground to award them with decorations for capturing the fortress. Then, a Red Army officer came out from the fortress's underground bunker:
He was blind because of his wounds and walked with his left arm extended forward. His right hand rested on a gun holster. He walked along the parade grounds wearing a ragged uniform, but his head was held high. The entire division was shocked at the sight. Approaching a shell-hole, he turned his face toward the west. The German general suddenly saluted this last defender of the Brest Fortress, and the rest of the officers followed suit. The Red Army officer drew a handgun and shot himself in the head. He fell on the ground facing Germany. A deep-drawn sigh aired over the parade grounds. We all stood 'frozen' in awe of this brave man

This is a monument of the cavalrymen from the Ingush regiment of the Wild Division during world war 1

I found this on the internet about them
During World War I, 500 cavalrymen from an Ingush regiment of the Wild Division boldly attacked the German Iron Division.The Russian Emperor Nicholas II, assessing the performance of the Ingush and Chechen regiments during the Brusilov breakthrough on the Russian-German front in 1915 wrote in his telegram to the Governor-General of the Tersky region Fleisher:
The Ingush regiment pounced upon the German "Iron Division" like an avalanche. It was immediately supported by the Chechen regiment. The Russian history, including the history of our Preobrazhensky regiment, does not know a single instance of a horse cavalry attacking an enemy force armed with heavy artillery: 4.5 thousand killed, 3.5 thousand taken prisoner, 2.5 thousand wounded. Less than in an hour and a half the "Iron Division" ceased to exist

The wire around the Ingush tower represents how the Ingush and Chechen people where victims of Stalinist political oppression which killed many of the population as in 1944 they were herded into cattle trucks/trains and forced into exile all over the Soviet Union

This is a monument for the grave stones which where pulled up to be put on the road

“Road of Death” – reenactment of deportation scenes, when people died of cold/hunger and bodies were thrown out of the train

And more recent conflicts

I found this video on YouTube which shows a birds eye view of this memorial complex (about 1 minute in)

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 03-23-2014 at 10:07 AM