Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2014, 11:20 AM   #196
mistasam
ciao!

Oddometer: 10
Coooool! Man I haven't ridden my SF848 in 6+ months and it's killing me, but these photos make me happy Looks like you guys have been having a ton of fun!
Old 03-14-2014, 02:14 PM   #197
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 920
This is a long time to leave us hanging....
doogiepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:05 AM   #198
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,567
love this on-going report!

and while i love riding dirt, how in the hell do you say NO to this??

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #199
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 920
We are closing in on 4 months with no further updates? I suppose if I had a wife that rode I'd be to busy to update my travel threads to
doogiepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:36 PM   #200
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
So yeah… this is WAY overdue. This is exactly why I usually do the ride report during the ride and not after the ride. Since we’ve been back, when we’re not working, we’re out exploring somewhere. Unfortunately it doesn’t bode well for this ride report. For that I apologize to all of you. It’s something that I’d think about all the time, but those of you that have done a report like this know that it is pretty time consuming.

Anyway, at this point it’s probably best if I do a cliffs notes version so here it goes…...

Back to Cody, WY and dinner which came shortly after we checked in. We ate at a place called the Rib & Chop House. Nice place, good food. I was kind of surprised there were so many young people, plenty of which were pretty easy on the eyes. Nothing against Cody, we loved the place, but I figured it would be an older population.

Saw this along the way. Definitely not what we’d find back home:

Back at the hotel it was time to call and check with the hotels we had reserved at further along our planned route. One was in McCall, ID and the other was in Ketchum. Both were in close proximity of the fires we had been hearing so much about. After speaking to the people at both hotels it became apparent that it wouldn’t make a whole lot of sense to go that way. As mentioned before, if we were to commit to that route, the only way back to the truck and camper (now parked in storage in Idaho Falls) would be to come back the exact same way we came. The rest of the trip hinged on what was going on with those fires. We conceded that it would be a huge waste of days and miles so we decided to stay an additional day in Cody and head back towards idaho falls (via Jackson, WY again). The northern loop would have to wait for another trip. Once we got to Idaho Falls we’d just play it by ear.

The next day we had breakfast at the hotel. It wasn’t free this time and it really should have been. The food was total crap and the servers and hostess seemed to be off in dream-land. Just an odd experience altogether. Apparently that was the theme for the day. After breakfast we went for a ride and had lunch in Cooke City. If you’re ever there, don’t bother eating at “The Bistro”. Food sucked and we got what was likely the worst service I have ever encountered. I’m not sure how I would have reacted if the server had talked to me the way I heard her talk to some of the other patrons. really just a total bitch altogether. The people in these parts really all seem to be so nice that when you come across someone like this, they really stand out.

Saw this guy along the way:

Cooke City:

Towards the end of our meal we noticed it was getting a bit smokey out. Seemed the wind had shifted a bit and was now carrying the smoke in from the surrounding areas. That was our cue to get going. We paid the bill, loaded up, stopped for gas then started making our way back to the hotel.

Our spots were gone when we got back to the hotel but we were still able to score good parking up front. Not sure if it was the ride or what, but I was pretty beat. For dinner, eating-in seemed like a really good idea. We ordered some chinese food, I stuffed my face and called it a day.

Even with as much as I ate the previous night there was still some chinese food left over. So, why not have a bit when I woke up?? With that out of the way, and with the decision already having been made to head back towards the storage unit, I went ahead and called the place we stayed at in Jackson and reserved a room for later that evening. We then packed our things, checked out, loaded up and were on our way. Our stop for gas was at the same place but far less confusing. It was a bit warm out but as was the case when we were coming in, there’s really no traffic on these roads so the “steady” pace helped to keep us cool.

Since we would be making our way thru yellowstone and Grand Teton again (2 places I really don’t want to be searching for gas in) we went ahead and topped off at the gas station that is just outside the park’s East Entrance, the Pahaska Tepee. Fueling up here would mean having enough to get us to Jackson. The attendant seemed like a great guy, but also either a bit crazy or too hyped up on Mountain Dew or something. he even sang us part of a song (from a movie) he said he was just reminded of. Thanks!!

Lunch was good the last time we went through Grand Teton so if it aint broke……

The scenery hadn’t changed in the last few days. Still amazing and still interrupted here and there by road construction along the way. Not the funnest when it’s hot out. Still beats working though.

We made it back to Jackson and checked in. Good day of riding again so why not finish the day off with a good meal. Sushi it is. Check out this fence we saw on the way there:

When we got to the place we were surprised to find a metropolitan-city style sushi restaurant. Nice place but the ambiance must have gotten to the hostesses head because she seemed SHOCKED that we would even consider showing up there on a Monday and NOT have reservations. Never mind all those empty tables you have around you lady. Regardless of that, we were put in "time-out" and made to wait at one of their “waiting tables” by the bar.

Our server could have been friendlier, but the food was really good. I’ll give them that. But come on guys, lose the attitude. Neither you OR your place are all that. The message at the bottom of the menu should give you an idea as to what I’m referring to (really?? You can’t be bothered with separate checks??):

After a stop at a yogurt shop and a t-shirt store, it was time to head back to the hotel and get ready for our ride back to the storage unit in Idaho Falls in the morning.

We took a bit of a different route the next morning. It was actually the route the GPS had recommended the previous time we came into Jackson (along Pine Creek Road instead of HWY-26) before the recommendation we were given. This route back to Idaho Falls would take us through Victor, ID where we got gas and also, unbeknownst to us, there is a really great BBQ place called Big Hole BBQ. Couldn’t have been better timing really:

Gas at the Victor Gateway Station:

Lunch at Big-Hole BBQ:

We get a lot of this along the way:

All gassed up and ready to go (literally!!). The storage unit was now only a bit over 60 miles away. Sadly, this turned out to be the end of any substantial riding on the bikes. With the change in plans our trip ended up with more frequent stops along the way which made for good sightseeing, but not so good for riding opportunities. From here I’ll continue the story with pictures and some captions to summarize the rest of the trip......

RIDE REPORT: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....3,000 miles
CURRENT RIDE REPORT: Part 2: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....4,000 miles
GP1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:20 PM   #201
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Driving into the night in Idaho

approx 2 AM along hwy 20 from Idaho into Oregon. Had to stop for sleep:

Americana at it's best. Breakfast at RJ's Restaurant in Burns, OR.

Straigh, arrid, buggy drive on HWY-20 towards Bend, OR

Time for a wash (Bend, OR)

Mexican food for lunch in Sisters, OR. (and view of rig from our table)

Hike into Jawbone Flats (small forest town with population of nine. read more here). Very cool place. As if it were stuck in another era. The old mining equipment pictured is scattered all along the 3 mile hike into the small "town".

Stephanie getting information from one of the volunteers stationed there at the time:

Making our way to the California Coast

Crescent City, CA

Santa?? Not quite. Craftsman at the Redwood Gift shop along Hwy-1

These guys were on a trip from Argentina to Alaska. He had his website on the side of the vehicle

Lunch in Trinidad, CA:

Apple Cider at Clendenen's Cider Works:

Avenue of the Giants:

Camping at Salt Point, CA. Almost home...

Would hate to be the guy in the water here:

Mexican food run in Gualala, CA.

Last day, headed home on Hwy-1

Old 04-23-2014, 03:42 AM   #202
DynastySS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Fantastic RR and photos! This and Antihero's journey was a big inspiration to me.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=970336
DynastySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:09 AM   #203
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,181
Hey Gus & Stephanie,

Nice update. You do some great trips.

Looking at the roads and scenery in your threads makes me understand why our daughter wants us to move out to the west coast where she lives and rides.

Thanks for taking us along.

John
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #204
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,321
Thanks for the updates guys...

What are you planning this year?

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:59 PM   #205
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynastySS View Post
Fantastic RR and photos! This and Antihero's journey was a big inspiration to me.
Glad to share (even if it WAS a bit delayed)

Old 04-23-2014, 05:03 PM   #206
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2wheels View Post
Looking at the roads and scenery in your threads makes me understand why our daughter wants us to move out to the west coast where she lives and rides.
I can relate to that. We moved out here to be able to do all this. If you can, I would highly recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
Thanks for the updates guys...

What are you planning this year?

JG
Not sure yet. Would like to do something that would take us to different small mountain towns here in California. Also want to do a trip that will take us through Glacier National Park and Banff but that might be another Airstream/Motorcycle trip.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:26 PM   #207
gssurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Gus, thanks for sharing your ride report. Nice job and amazing photos!
gssurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:52 PM   #208
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gssurfer View Post
Gus, thanks for sharing your ride report. Nice job and amazing photos!

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk