Old 03-18-2014, 01:34 PM   #6826
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
For the record

only the part near the bridge is paved,

the rest looks like this:

We restocked adult beverages in Escalante,

and also ran into Mr. Motorcycle, same as the last time we were here. What are the odds of that?

(I'm guessing pretty good).

It's fall, remember. Don't let all the greenery fool you.

Tom's Best Spring road was a pretty section. Fast & dry.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:44 PM   #6827
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We headed south

following the East Fork of the Servier river.

There are tons of little side roads and ATV trails, but only one that cuts up and out of the valley which we were aiming to take over to Hatch.

Of course.

We checked the maps, and decided that we'd loop back down to the main road, and find a place to camp as it was getting late, and this seemed like it had a lot of opportunities.

We thought about this spot, but it was pretty exposed, high elevation, and no water.

Instead, we found this spot down a side trail, a reservoir off Skunk creek.

Sweet! I went back up the road where we'd seen lots of deadfall to pick up some nice dry firewood,

and we set up camp.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 03-18-2014, 02:26 PM   #6828
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Our little cowboy camp

I tried to troubleshoot LDF's turn signal which was blinking as flashers after wiring in the new VaporTech speedo console.

(Turns out it needed a couple of diodes which I picked up in Vegas and wired in before storing the bike)

We had cocktails and appetizers -- i'm gonna have to remember this one:

Sushi rolls made of cream cheese, smoked salmon, and wrapped in a flour tortilla.

Once the sun set, it got chilly pretty quickly,

But we had warm clothes, and a nice cozy campfire.

Stats for day 11:

Old 03-18-2014, 02:36 PM   #6829
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

M12d12

Skink Creek - Pace Draw

This was a fun day. I remember it was windy as all get out. I mean rip your hair from the roots windy.

Really, only one real re-route, and a couple of navigational coup's.

We started the day with a little backtrack and pavement,

and then the first special section of the day.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:40 PM   #6830
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

There was a connector

in here somewhere...

and this was it:

Muddy hill climb,

Rock garden,

Victory! It went through.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:44 PM   #6831
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The Red desert

No kidding, that's what it was called.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:50 PM   #6832
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Some obstacles

to get to the next highlight,

(that's LDF riding her own bike through the tough stuff)

More obstacles,

to get to the Lava Desert!

[edit: I found some info on the lava field here. Markagunt plateau, probably dormant, last erupted 1050AD.]

DR. Rock screwed with this post 03-18-2014 at 03:06 PM
Old 03-18-2014, 03:14 PM   #6833
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

a short stretch

of pavement... this is looking south down the Deep Creek watershed that joins to the Virgin River and flows through Zion NP.

Next special section... well dirt anyway.

We didn't believe it... the maps had it going through.

It was SO frickin' windy!

AAARRRRGGGHHHHH!

We stopped for a snack, but there were so many branches falling from the trees, we put our helmets back on and hightailed it out of there.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:36 PM   #6834
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The next section

took us around Cedar & Lone Tree Mt's., then across some really windy flats, and finally up and over Kanarra mountain with breathtaking views down into Cedar City. Highly recommended!

The windy flats:

Dropping down to cross I-15

And then the view from the other side -- I-15 is down in the valley:

Old 03-18-2014, 03:44 PM   #6835
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

On the west side

we climbed up Harmony Mt. on some ATV trails,

What's funny is that the "Highway over yonder with our name on it" turned out to be just more two-track but with a number on the map... "Hwy 144" I think. (Francine wasn't laughing then, I tell you what.)
Old 03-18-2014, 03:53 PM   #6836
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Finally,

we just said "enough" and found a nice side trail to a flat spot with a view and called it a day.

a little snack,

a little hike to see the world from the highest point we could find:

yet another quiet cowboy camp,

Elk tracks everywhere,

As the sun was going down, this brilliant splotch of red caught my eye... I went closer to check it out, and it was a single ray of sun shining down on this deep red flower. I couldn't take my eyes off it. It was sublime. Burning bush?

Old 03-18-2014, 03:57 PM   #6837
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We had our campfire

right out on the point, and slept with the tarp off (and woke up soaking wet from dew)

Day 12 stats:

Old 03-18-2014, 06:24 PM   #6838
bbanker
Klrista

Oddometer: 40
Awesome, love the stream of consciousness. You guys make my days better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2014, 06:30 PM   #6839
Spinalcracker
former redriderofma

Oddometer: 1,079
Very nice !! Great photos as usual

Do you have the gpx for Möbius 12 ? My son goes to UNLV and this would be a great side trip when I go out to visit. I just have to find a bike rental place.

Mike
Vermont Covered Bridges
Spinalcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:47 PM   #6840
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinalcracker View Post
Very nice !! Great photos as usual

Do you have the gpx for Möbius 12 ? My son goes to UNLV and this would be a great side trip when I go out to visit. I just have to find a bike rental place.

Mike
Mike,
PM sent.
d