Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #6841
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
M12 Day 13

Pace Draw, Dixie NF - Caliente, NV

It'd been a while since we'd showered and were due. Dodged some weather, and all in all had a pretty mellow, low-drama day.

Of course,

but it was legit -- planned maintenance, not flood damage, and only like a 1 mile detour.

Beautiful start to the day, easy riding.

Morning moving video update:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:18 PM   #6842
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

it was pretty desolate

for whatever reason, these roads didn't seem as hammered with water damage.

The only real drama for the day -- out of the blue, we pass this little guy... no one around for miles we could see.

Alive, squirming around... scared shitless when we passed. We spent the next few minutes speculating WTF... had someone forgotten him? Would coyotes just eat him? We hadn't passed anyone for easily over an hour.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 03-18-2014, 07:23 PM   #6843
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

This is...

by far my favorite video of the entire trip.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:32 PM   #6844
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Dodging weather

Passed through Barklay, NV which seemed almost a ranch/company town.

It was becoming a race to get to Caliente before we got rained on.

then our route shifted direction away from a collision course with the storm clouds,

though the temps dropped fairly dramatically,

before we knew it, we were rolling into town.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:36 PM   #6845
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We took a lap

around town, and chose the small family-run joint and were glad we did. The Midway Motel... friendly, quiet, clean... Highly Recommended!

Supper at the fanciest restaurant in town, the Wagon Wheel, I believe.

Stats for Day 13:

Old 03-18-2014, 08:41 PM   #6846
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 14, Mobius 12

Caliente, NV - Las Vegas

Coasting on in for a wrap. We knew from the inter webs at Caliente, that the Mormon Wells road through the National Desert Wildlife Refuge was closed on accounna flood damage. So we pieced together a low-expectation route and thus avoided disappointment when we had to rock more pavement than we'd have liked.

The Midway Motel,

Old 03-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #6847
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

As usual, we started our day

having to deal with flooding fallout.

we were going to follow the Union Pacific rail line up Meadow Valley wash to Kane Springs Road.

before long...

You've got to be kidding. There was a county park, but no one at the office. We saw a pick-up coming from the direction we wanted to go. We asked them if we could take this road to Kane Springs road. They mumbled something about "Probably" and so we went for it.

What's the worst that could happen?
Old 03-18-2014, 08:49 PM   #6848
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Weren't much traffic,

that's for sure.

this can't be good.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:51 PM   #6849
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Piece of cake

We like this!

Old 03-18-2014, 08:59 PM   #6850
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

This is it...

probably the last dirt section of M12.

it was intermittently soft and loose, but at least it wasn't paved.

a dust devil

the last big open empty space, we took our helmets off and soaked it in.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:03 PM   #6851
malibu_dan
Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer: 1,450
I believe I've seen this before...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
NOT!

Oh, yeah, now I remember!!! Mobius 6, Top of the World Highway...

Quote:
as we got closer, it was like riding straight into a tidal wave just before it breaks, black clouds towering overhead.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:08 PM   #6852
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Guess what planet this is?

pavement ahead.

We ran into this crew at a fuel stop. I'm sure someone here knows them... at least some were on ADV. We had a nice chat. Heading to Moab if I recall.

ug.

We had a day to do some maintenance and repairs, sort through gear, and stow the bikes back in their cave for the winter.

Stats for day 14:

Old 03-18-2014, 09:08 PM   #6853
MadChap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Had to laugh at your "Hite Marina" experience. I was there in May before you and was looking for a place to camp after a long day. Looked at the maps and thought "why not camp at the lake"....LOL what lake? I camped at exactly the same spot you found. Here's my sunset and sunrise pics.

I do want to say, I've so enjoyed your adventures. It has given me lots of ideas for future rides. Had never heard of the Gravely range, now because of your posts I have put it near the top of my future rides.

THANKS!!!!!

Tim
MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:35 PM   #6854
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,831
Quote:
by far my favorite video of the entire trip.

Outstanding.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:08 PM   #6855
dustyrider
dirt is just better

Oddometer: 110
Talking

Why Doc, that's the planet known as Barsoom. Everyone knows that.