Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2014, 08:52 PM   #151
DaFoole
Born Again Asshole..

Oddometer: 3,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
That S10 270degree lump isn't for everyone. It's not going to satisfy that sport bike call.

But for others, it is just that kind of motor that eventually owns them. Not a first date impresser. But once you bond while climbing up the side of a mountain, you get it.

...or tractoring through deep sand on a beach in Baja obscenely overloaded and realizing you have no business being out there but the bike plows on through without a cough or whimper and tells you to stop whining, STFU up and steer it in the proper direction so it can get you to that stupid place you decided to head to.....

....and you are then sitting on said beach sipping a beer next to your tent watching the ocean and realize NO other big trailie you've owned (and you've pretty much owned them all...) EVER gave you the kind of confidence to ride a loaded pig where you just rode...and you wink at her and raise your glass in awe, respect and genuine affection.....

But that's just me.......
Old 03-15-2014, 09:22 PM   #152
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Ok. That was exactly what I meant. ;)

Dang, you're good.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:45 PM   #153
ec90t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Just brought my white 2013 S10 home today. I had to work so the bike only got 15 miles put on today and this was on the way home. Snow tomorrow, so more than likely not much seat time for a few days.

I procrastinated for 2 years about buying one, so a day or two longer to get some quality seat time is okay. Within the first two miles today, I knew I had found the bike I was looking for

2013 Super Tenere
2003 KLX400R
ec90t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:05 PM   #154
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,274
[QUOTE=DaFoole;23703564...................., respect and genuine affection.....

But that's just me.......[/QUOTE]

Oh no....... It's me too. And I agree with everything you wrote.

Sadly, at the end of the day, it's just a bike but every time I go near Wallace, I give him a pat like a dog in appreciation of his faithful and reliable service.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:22 AM   #155
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
Sadly, at the end of the day, it's just a bike but every time I go near Wallace, I give him a pat like a dog in appreciation of his faithful and reliable service.

+1, Me too.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:59 AM   #156
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
I have a hard time walking by it. I rarely do.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:02 AM   #157
GSDonovan OP
There and back again

Oddometer: 829
Hi all, I'm the original poster (aka, da "OP", yo) for this topic. I appreciate everyone's comments. I'm still waiting to test the new 2014 at my local dealer...can't wait. This weekend, however, I got to do a good test ride of both the BMW 800 GS Adventure AND the '13 R1200GS water-cooled machine. The ride included curvy back roads, busy in-town streets and some interstate. Not surprisingly, I knew within 5 minutes that the 800 GS was NOT for me...it was incredibly buzzy to me at 4000 RPMs and above and the wind protection was downright awful at highway speeds. I suppose if you're coming from a DRZ or some other unfaired dual sport, you might think the engine and wind screen made for a downright plush ride, but not for me. The surprising thing to me was how it really didn't feel much lighter/smaller than the 1200. Perhaps off road it would...but for street riding, there wasn't much difference felt in weight or mass. The 1200 GS (I owned an '07 standard GS and an '08 GS Adv) has a nice, much rev'ier engine...fairly smooth...very quick in dynamic mode. In rain or street mode the throttle response was a little more mellow, but not near as differentiated as the riding modes on my Multistrada. I felt something odd in the steering and front end...I can't explain what it was, but compared to my Multi, it just felt...weird...stiffer?...maybe a bit wooden with less "feel" than my Multi with the Ohlins suspension. The handling wasn't bad per se, just different than what I've been using. The wind protection was surprisingly good despite the smallish windscreen. Anyway, I came away feeling underwhelmed, frankly. I didn't really realize or appreciate how good my Multi's engine is...its power/torque, its sound, its feel...and my suspension is amazing compared to the GS (although I didn't really adjust the GS's much, so it may have just been not dialed in correctly). I guess I was surprised at how much I preferred my current ride over the new GS. I expected I was going to really prefer the GS...but I didn't at all. You might expect that conclusion if I was a "sport" rider who likes to drag pegs and do power wheelies, but I'm not that kind of rider at all.

So now I feel much more inclined to move to the Yamaha and save lots of money...and have a bike again capable and robust enough to go off pavement. The key thing I will be looking for in the demo ride is comfort (ergos, protection from weather) and smoothness at interstate speeds....and hope that I don't feel too bored with the engine.
GSDonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:34 AM   #158
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDonovan View Post
I appreciate everyone's comments.

twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:39 AM   #159
GSDonovan OP
There and back again

Holy crap. That guy has mad skills.

I ruled out the KTM due to reported highway wind noise/buffeting, engine heat, and dealer support. I'm sure I'd love the engine...and maybe the wind noise is solveable, but I thought that with my Multi...and I'm still struggling with it 4 windshields later.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:44 AM   #160
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,735
You will!

Feel bored with the engine on an S10 compared to the new WC GS12 and also to your Multi. It a diesel compared to a Ferrari. But its great off pavement and ok on the street. Most die hard dirt guys don't realize that most of their riding on an S10 is actually pavement getting to dirt, so its a good compromise. Never met anyone who was overwhelmed with the test ride either unless they were coming off a KLR or such. Make sure the 1st thing you do on the test ride is stick it in S Mode, as T Mode is for Crap. Useless except for really slimy mud. The free Clutch Switch Mod really smartens the bike up. But some say the ECU reflash really makes the difference which I will get done on my next S10. The ownership is wonderful however. Just ride, ride, ride!
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:01 AM   #161
GSDonovan OP
There and back again

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
Feel bored with the engine on an S10 compared to the new WC GS12 and also to your Multi.
I said, "TOO bored"...

Old 03-19-2014, 08:11 PM   #162
chucky004
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Menace View Post
Chucky,

I am also on a Tiger 1050 right now and this is my third Trumpy 1050 and it is one of the best motors ever made I think. Bullet proof, torquey, smooth, sounds great. Triumph definitely came up with a great power plant. Since the S10's came out I have followed threads, looked at them etc.... however I am afraid of that parallel twin motor. I had a BMW F800S with a P-Twin and it was actually a great bike and very user friendly motor but it was kind of organic in a way. I have a fear that the S10 will seem the same. I like Yamaha reliability and build quality though but I am not sure about the engine and for me the engine character holds value. I would love to see them put that 900 Triple into an ADV bike and then I would walk down and slap the money onto the dealers counter I think........
I just finished a week ride on my s10 through Arizona. Grand canyon south on hwy 191, over to tombstone, Bisbee to Tuscon up to Havasu Vegas and to St George, man I loved the power difference at below 1000ft, you low landers are lucky. I can ride the s10 much longer than my Tiger without monkey butt, my wife likes it better also.It's not smooth like my triple but I'm going to be very happy with it until yammy comes out with a triple in an adv bike..
chucky004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:31 PM   #163
XtreemLEE
Member #476

Oddometer: 1,556
Buy one I might buy my second...
"And the freedom of speech we try to defend goes to the core of one of my very deepest beliefs: the best information is uncovered with open, spirited debate. Better to grow thicker skin than to risk repressing information--just ask John Adams and Thomas Jefferson." Chris Macaskill
XtreemLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:56 AM   #164
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,343
GSDonovan, congrats on the GS purchase, I was a little surprised given your previous comments. What was it that changed your mind? Previous GS ownership? The S10 not match up well with you? Are you going to keep the Multi? Have fun on your ride home, try to keep the engine loads varied!

oalvarez screwed with this post 04-21-2014 at 04:38 AM
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:45 AM   #165
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
GSDonovan, congrats on the GS purchase, I was a little surprised given your previous comments. What was it that changes your mind?
S10Donovan didn't have the same ring...
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote