Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2014, 10:55 AM   #31
DYNOBOB OP
lucky dog

Oddometer: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by toydoc View Post
The picture of the sailboats in front of the bridge shows one on the right having a big mast. After looking at it for a while I realized it was a mast of a boat on the other side of the bridge. Did you compose this picture or did it just happen? A very good picture in either case.
Just walking along and "saw" it...

DYNOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:10 AM   #32
DYNOBOB OP
lucky dog

Heading home...

So I reluctantly rolled out of Daytona yesterday morning at 8am. I had planned to wander around town and get you guys some pics from Main St, Ponce Inlet Lighthouse, etc and ride home today....but looking at the radar this morning I made the right call.

Snapped this shot at my favorite photo spot just south of Flagler on my way out, and 920miles later I pulled into the driveway at 2am. Absolutely beautiful weather all the way home...in fact, I didn't have a drop of rain the entire trip.

DYNOBOB screwed with this post 03-16-2014 at 01:17 PM
Old 03-16-2014, 01:13 PM   #33
DYNOBOB OP
lucky dog

Wrap up...

Final stats for the trip. It's the most miles I've ever done on a one week trip and 2500 of those miles were done in 3 days .

Did I have fun? Absolutely!!! Even on the long days I never felt miserable or asked myself "why". Credit - being blessed w/ the right equipment for the job, great weather, great scenery, and great trip advise from members of ADV. My normal "TrailerWeek" crew couldn't go this year, so riding the bike down kept my 20+ year BW streak alive and gives me a tremendous respect for long distance "iron butt" competitors. No matter how good your equip, I can't imaging stringing 10 - 1000mi days together . I also had a great time visiting the friends in Daytona who graciously housed me!

Some thoughts for someone planning BW or KeyWest

- Regarding BW: If you're going for the first time shoot me a PM for advise on how to get around town w/o spending hours sitting in traffic (basically - stay off the main drags - use parallel streets several blocks over) Attending BW is one of the great motorcycle experiences IMO - 300,000 people on motorcycles having fun in the sun after a long winter is a sight to see .

- If you're riding to the Keys then definitely see the Everglades.

- Miami area traffic sucks! Worst part of the trip for me. Unless you're trying to loop down Miami Beach forget about I-95 and stick with the Turnpike (even w/ the tolls). Try to time going thru Miami/Homestead at non-peak times (10pm?). Conversely, I found traffic on the Keys to be no problem, maybe I got lucky...? Be aware though that except for some beautiful sectons (like Seven Mile bridge), most of the Keys feels like riding thru towns. IMO if you're heading for Key West it's for the party atmosphere or to check it off your bucket list.

- St Augustine. If you go to BW, absolutely ride up A1A (beautiful!) and spend the day in North America's "oldest city". This historic district is very cool with a mix of people from guitar-playing homeless to well-dressed foreign visitors to Flagler College students to Tea Partiers in period attire - all walking by. Fun to people watch there...

- Camping in the Keys. This is a great time of year for that, a month from now and it might not get below 80 at night. Be prepared for bugs and you'll have a great time. Long Key and Bahia Honda are awesome and cheap - but reserve well ahead of time. The primitive sites in Long Key are sweet but the outdoor shower might be a deal breaker for the better half. The normal water/elec sites are awesome and have a regular shower.

Equip:

This is what saved my butt (literally) on the long days. A piece of sheepskin over the Airhawk is money!

I treated myself to a new helmet (Nolan N104) from the Helmet Shop on Friday and wore it all the way home. All I've ever had is Arias, I'm amazed how nice the new technology is. Flip up face for a drink going down the road, no taking glasses on/off, drop down sun shield, and very quiet - two thumbs up!

The gore-tex overpants, 16yr old Darien, and heated jacket once again served me well.

Oh.... and the new cooler

Anyway... Thanks for following along!

Old 03-16-2014, 01:54 PM   #34
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,106
Bob thanks for the great trip lots of good info.
May have to give this trip a try....

Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #35
Litemup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Thumb

Really great photos and information as well.
Litemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #36
JoeFab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Thumb

Great road trip !!!...j.f.
JoeFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:16 PM   #37
rascalman
GhostRider

Oddometer: 289
Thanks for conjuring up old memories. Been 12 to 14 years since I did Key West. Haven't made it much past St. Augustine in years. Mostly get stalled around Fernandina. Enjoyed the report and photography.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:59 AM   #38
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
Happy to see all went as planned!!! I know I warned about the Keys traffic and you timed that right, but I forgot to warn you about the Miami traffic. Wish you would have called! I would have met you at Robert is Here for a shake, I only live 3 miles from there and pass it everyday to and from work!!

It is too bad you got to the Everglades so late, its rather amazing how different the view is going the opposite direction on the road to Flamingo is. I love the ride/drive out there, very peaceful!!!

Congrats on the Iron Butt 1000 and a good ride!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:22 AM   #39
DYNOBOB OP
lucky dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLARider1 View Post
It is too bad you got to the Everglades so late, its rather amazing how different the view is going the opposite direction on the road to Flamingo is. I love the ride/drive out there, very peaceful!!!!

I'll be back

This was a pretty fast moving trip - next time I'll allow a week for S FL and meet you for a shake

Old 03-18-2014, 09:11 AM   #40
DYNOBOB OP
lucky dog

Last batch of pics

A lot of history raced thru this pic...

Gives you a better idea of the Flamingo campsite setting - you can see bike parked in the background.

Anhinga - How close can you get?

Scenic Loop drive near Flagler

St Augustine

DYNOBOB screwed with this post 03-18-2014 at 09:34 AM
Old 03-18-2014, 10:33 AM   #41
His Pistolship
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Oddometer: 395
Hey Bob,

Nice pics and RR. I saw the few pics you had of me too. I made it back to the truck alright, but I took an extra day and rode A1A from Miami to Port St. Lucie. I haven't done a RR yet, but should get to it shortly. I posted everyday to facebook though. Thanks again.
His Pistolship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:40 AM   #42
DYNOBOB OP
lucky dog

Glad you checked in Chase... Good to have another contact in Idaho Falls for HOW Sept 2014!

Old 03-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #43
wbunt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Great RR. And info on traffic . Wife and I are going to the Keys for the first time . Leaveing from Colorado on April 30 .
wbunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:33 PM   #44
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 438
Nice RR! Thanks for posting that.
woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote