Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2014, 04:38 AM   #31
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,933
Well, "Adventure riding" is mostly about taking inappropriate hardware places it doesn't belong, isn't it?

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:08 AM   #32
Mtneer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Just proving the the versatility of adventure bikes, I'm sure it was fun especially when you passed a true sport bike. I might have to try a set of the Conti's on my Tiger after I burn up the BT023's.
Mtneer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:27 AM   #33
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
Well, "Adventure riding" is mostly about taking inappropriate hardware places it doesn't belong, isn't it?

Years ago, some dude on a DL1000 showed up at a track day here, and smoked practically everyone. It was even more humiliating for all the sportsbike riders, because it is a fast track (and in fact the only track over here, that you can call ΄fast΄).... and I remember the hilarious aftermath of this on the net, every CBR, GSX-R and R1 rider had some sort of excuse - if they even admitted to have been there in the first place!
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:35 PM   #34
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,590
OP - you don't say where you live/ride - it makes a difference!
The K60s can be noisy on coarse chip or concrete surfaces, but their dirt-road grip and longevity outweigh this.
I'm on a 220kg+ Aprilia Caponord: Tourances vanished quickly - and were also utterly diaboloical on muddy dirt roads, or wet grass: it was not a question of IF you'd fall over, but merely WHEN.
In contrast, the K60s allow me to drag pegs on bitumen and while they will still spin up on dirt, what wouldn't with 100 rwhp? They offer good grip on firm dirt, are predictible when the clay gets muddy, are really good on rocky climbs & descents and seem resistant to punctures. My front tyre goes close to 20,000km and I normally replace the rear at between 12 & 14,000km.
My wife has an identical bike and it came with Continental Trail Attacks: they were okay and lasted about 12,000km, though she rides less dirt and is a more responsible, adult rider than me... Doesn't stop her dragging metal sometimes though!
She now has Michelin Anakees fitted and loves them.
I'd steer clear of Battlewings, as they seem to go "off" rather suddenly; also there have been reports of some of the cheaper tyres delaminating when used on more powerful bikes.
Good luck!
Old 03-19-2014, 11:43 PM   #35
SMURPH
Jackass

Oddometer: 389
Heidenau K60's for me please.

First trip with them was slab from Alberta to Southern California. That was 2 years ago. Still on same set after 14,000 kms. Figure I have another 3-5000 left on this set. New set on order. Usual travel is 90% slab, 10% gravel, fire/logging roads. All klicks were 1 up.

I can also drag a peg with them and have total confidence off road. I hope they never stop making them!

S
Blog > http://tinyurl.com/lnqkh4j
SMURPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:34 AM   #36
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Years ago, some dude on a DL1000 showed up at a track day here, and smoked practically everyone. It was even more humiliating for all the sportsbike riders, because it is a fast track (and in fact the only track over here, that you can call ΄fast΄).... and I remember the hilarious aftermath of this on the net, every CBR, GSX-R and R1 rider had some sort of excuse - if they even admitted to have been there in the first place!
The fastest bike on the road I encountered EVER, and most lean angle
that I've ever seen someone do was this couple on a R1150GS Adventure
with that bicycle-like front tire. Like it's not enough that the rider is dragging
his ear in the corner, he's even got a passenger. Yeah, he's an idiot for doing
it on the street but I was SHOCKED.

Too bad I was on my 28hp scoot when this happened, I would definitely try
to chase him down on my ninja 650 or fz6, just to see if I can, but even if
those 2 should be faster, I just don't have the skills or the balls.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:17 PM   #37
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,263
I've had good luck with Anakee 3's on my Wee.

On the Bonne SE, RoadAttack up front and TrailAttack on back.

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:31 AM   #38
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch_ninja View Post
I'm close to needing a new rear tire for my Tiger 800 xc. I ride probably 99:1 onroad:offroad and Im looking for recommendations on the longest lasting tire I can get. Sure, I'd like the looks of an off road tire, but honestly, I just want something that lasts a long time more than anything else. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I've looked at the tire threads, but they seem more geared to offroad tires that last as opposed to more road oriented tires,...
It would help if we knew what type of rider you are and what you want the tyre to do. If you are purely looking for a tyre to last forever, the K60s are the ones. Unfortunately they are rubbish in the wet, they are noisy and they vibrate. They also have a weird vibration/noise, (additionally) when they start to wear, on cornering.

But, I have just got 17,000m out of mine (it is now completely f**ked) on an S10 whilst carrying 300kg. I was 2 up so was not interested in scratching but I am now home and will be putting more conventional tyres on. The K60s are a hard tyre and are designed for long distance touring, not power/cornering performance.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:42 AM   #39
modd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Mitas e07 Dakar? Just installed a pair on my v strom still way to cold to go riding but I must say the tires look great.Any high mileage reports on these tires?Thanks
modd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:37 AM   #40
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,090
Hated the K 60's.
Love the Mitas e07's
non-Dakar's for me, really stiff sidewalls on the Dakar.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:48 AM   #41
Nnordsman
Nnordsman

Oddometer: 300
I have run the Anakee 2, Bridgestone Battlewing, Regular Tourance, the EXP and the stock trailwings on my DL. Overall my favorite is the original Tourance on back Anakee 2 up front. I had bad luck with the EXP. The stock trailwings are nice on the pavement but don't last and are scary off-road. The Battlewing lasts along time, but it is definitely a street tire.
Nnordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:01 PM   #42
Norty01
RIDERCOACH

Oddometer: 153
On my 3rd front, and 2nd rear in 16,300 miles. Bias just doesn't last like radial built tires...
Norty01 is offline   Reply With Quote