Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2014, 05:34 PM   #1726
Hytram
crash test dummy

Oddometer: 671
the is a big difference between having an adventure on a bike and an Adventure Bike

an Adventure Bike is a category of bike, like a sports bike, cruiser, cafe racer, scooter etc, you can have a Adventure of any of them, but just because you do so does not mean you are riding an Adventure bike

what category the Veek falls into is another whole story
Old 03-20-2014, 06:02 PM   #1727
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory1848 View Post
Fixed? Sorry, not quite... Personally I wouldn't take an off road bike 500 miles on paved road to get to the off road places I might want to ride.

Electra Glide on unpaved roads that an average car wouldn't make it on? Please share these adventures...

Keep in mind I am talking about the mechanical ability of the bike, not the person riding the bike.

Adventure is a classification that motorcycle manufactures give to their bikes as a marketing ploy. Lets keep it real. Sure anyone can take any bike and have an adventure out on the back roads but does that qualify it as an adventure bike? Electra Glide is a touring bike (according to HD). Should its class be changed to adventure all because someone takes it off road? That would be silly.

You have a very narrow view of what an "adventure" bike really is. The BMW R1200GS is an Adventure Bike. It weighs A LOT. It carries a shit ton of fuel. It can be shod with knobby, off road capable tires. Is it an off road bike? Not in my opinion. Can it take you on 500 miles of Tarmac to get you to the gravel? Sure can. And by your definition - it's not an adventure bike.

You're getting ADV bikes and Dual Sports mixed up, because there is a difference. My F800GS is a heavy bike with a 21" front wheel. It's off road capable - but - I paid the price for the power to weight ratio. With a tib-fib fracture.

And since you've already been proven wrong with the Forwood's ride report, I'd suggest that you lurk more and post less. Maybe you'll learn something.

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:49 PM   #1728
cory1848
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stained View Post
You have a very narrow view of what an "adventure" bike really is. The BMW R1200GS is an Adventure Bike. It weighs A LOT. It carries a shit ton of fuel. It can be shod with knobby, off road capable tires. Is it an off road bike? Not in my opinion. Can it take you on 500 miles of Tarmac to get you to the gravel? Sure can. And by your definition - it's not an adventure bike.

You're getting ADV bikes and Dual Sports mixed up, because there is a difference. My F800GS is a heavy bike with a 21" front wheel. It's off road capable - but - I paid the price for the power to weight ratio. With a tib-fib fracture.

And since you've already been proven wrong with the Forwood's ride report, I'd suggest that you lurk more and post less. Maybe you'll learn something.
If you go back and read my post you may understand where I am coming from. But I doubt you will since my opinion doesn't agree with yours, and I should just go away and not post. Nice... Since my mind is so narrow and I don't know what an adventure bike is, please enlighten me to what a dual sport is. Explain the differences you know so much of. Educate me. Is the Harley now dual sport since someone took it around the world on and off road?

I would most certainly call the 1200GS an adventure bike. Apparently you failed to read my definition of what my standard is for one.

Proven wrong by Forwoods post? Although impressive and note worthy, sorry but I still don't consider a HD an adventure bike. Is is a touring bike taken on a trip that is wasn't designed for. Plain and simple. Whats next? Goldwings are race bikes because someone took one on a race track? Come on.

Sorry I ruffled the feathers of the brand loyal Vee riders... However it seems for the people that have actually ridden it, I am not the only one who feels this way.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:54 PM   #1729
cory1848
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hytram View Post
the is a big difference between having an adventure on a bike and an Adventure Bike

an Adventure Bike is a category of bike, like a sports bike, cruiser, cafe racer, scooter etc, you can have a Adventure of any of them, but just because you do so does not mean you are riding an Adventure bike

what category the Veek falls into is another whole story
This is all I am trying to say but be careful, someone may want to try and educate you.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:28 PM   #1730
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,107

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:51 PM   #1731
eram310
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
So how do you think the Tiger 800 (not the Vstrom 650) would compare to the new vstrom 1000? I think it's the most direct competition. (Not the XC)
About the same HP, the new VS1000 has more torque, but the Tiger 800 is 30lbs lighter. Both have 19 inch front wheel, both have about the same seat height and cost is about the same.
eram310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:59 PM   #1732
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,250
Quote:
That is impressive... Wonder how many time they had to ask for help.
Probably fewer times, than an average keyboard adventure expert would.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:35 AM   #1733
Hytram
crash test dummy

Quote:
This is all I am trying to say but be careful, someone may want to try and educate you.

Fanboys will always be Fanboys
Old 03-21-2014, 02:50 AM   #1734
Hytram
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eram310 View Post
So how do you think the Tiger 800 (not the Vstrom 650) would compare to the new vstrom 1000? I think it's the most direct competition. (Not the XC)
About the same HP, the new VS1000 has more torque, but the Tiger 800 is 30lbs lighter. Both have 19 inch front wheel, both have about the same seat height and cost is about the same.
I haven't ridden the Veek, but owned a Vee for 4 years and also still have the 800XC

I cant answer the question perfectly as I haven't ridden either bikes (Veek and 800 roadie)

I think they would be line ball in most things except the engine, the 800 is very smooth, very linear with a very flat torque curve, its near perfect and therefore boring.... its the reason I am selling mine, the bike is great but the engine bores me

The Veek I am guessing should have the typical Vtwin character even though its been refined since the Vee)

it will come down to what you prefer in engines methinks
Old 03-21-2014, 08:47 AM   #1735
eram310
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I own a Tiger 800 and although it's not as exciting as my Street Triple R I have owned before it, I get my excitement from where and how I ride.
I think the Tiger 800 is a good all around, but I would like better suspension and i wouldn't mind more low end torque, what i don't like is the extra 30 LBS.
eram310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:53 PM   #1736
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,180
Quote:
If you go back and read my post you may understand where I am coming from. But I doubt you will since my opinion doesn't agree with yours, and I should just go away and not post. Nice... Since my mind is so narrow and I don't know what an adventure bike is, please enlighten me to what a dual sport is. Explain the differences you know so much of. Educate me. Is the Harley now dual sport since someone took it around the world on and off road?

I would most certainly call the 1200GS an adventure bike. Apparently you failed to read my definition of what my standard is for one.

Proven wrong by Forwoods post? Although impressive and note worthy, sorry but I still don't consider a HD an adventure bike. Is is a touring bike taken on a trip that is wasn't designed for. Plain and simple. Whats next? Goldwings are race bikes because someone took one on a race track? Come on.

Sorry I ruffled the feathers of the brand loyal Vee riders... However it seems for the people that have actually ridden it, I am not the only one who feels this way.
Quote:
I would define an adventure bike as a bike that is designed to go where the average street legal car or truck can not or would not fair well if tried. As well as being able to tour on and off road with luggage. If my car can make it down the fire road, dirt road, wooden bridge,etc, well its not much of an adventure in my book. I owned a GL1500 before my tiger and wrestling 900 pounds of steel and plastic down a muddy fire road or 2 track isn't my idea on an adventure. Plain and simple, it isn't designed for that. It is about using the right tool for the job and I just dont think the new Vee2 fits MY definition for that job. Tour around the country with it? Sure, ride the TAT? I would be real hesitant to attempt that with it.

Just my opinion.
To show that I have a bit of a sense of humor:

So Cory, what you've given us is your definition of an Adventure Motorcycle. Excellent. That you feel the new 2014 Vee is not an adventure motorcycle is fine. I looked for a definition of an "Adventure Bike" and had a hard time finding one, finally I found this on WikiPedia:

Quote:
The third group are long range adventure riders who intend to travel for many weeks or months. BMW, KTM, Triumph and Ducati make a range of large motorcycles from 800cc up which are intended for long range travel on smooth and rough roads. These bikes can support immense loads of supplies such as tents, camping gear and spare parts/tires and still travel at high speed on unformed roads, but are not suited to single track rising as they are very heavy and lack agility. If a large adventure bike falls over it will usually take 2 people to lift it up when loaded.
Quote:
Heavyweight dual-sports weigh over 350 lb (160 kg). They are designed primarily for riders who want to travel long distances on pavement with occasional forays onto dirt roads. They usually come with smoother tires that perform better on pavement. These motorcycles are also called adventure or adventure-touring bikes by some manufacturers
You can read the citations for the quotes here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_(motorcycle)

So, I think you're right. A Harley Bagger is not a dual sport. Is it by definition an Adventure Bike? No. Did people like the Forwoods, or rtwDoug make a Harley an Adventure Bike? They sure did.

But back to the new Vee.

Have I ridden one? Not at all. Do I want to? For sure!

Will the new Vee be able to go where your car can't, with some minimal modifications? (ie Bash Plate) Sure! I mean, I drive a Jetta - its low to the ground and I'd hesitate to take it down any of the Fire Roads in this area.

Will it be able to do so, carrying luggage? Can't see why not.

But what I'm saying to you is that you have to be careful when you define "off road" for an Adventure Bike.

All that being said, is the new Vee the perfect platform for an ADV Machine? Probably not - I see the lower exhaust as a drawback for water crossings, given the places I took my '07. However, I think that for a Gravel Road, Snowmobile Trail, Off the beaten path machine - it should fill the market quite nicely.

I honestly don't know what type of terrain you're riding in - but anything more than a gravel road, smooth trail, I'm not taking my F800 and my friends aren't taking their V-Stroms. We're going on more dirt worthy dual sport machines.

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:17 PM   #1737
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,715
I thought this thread was about the new Vstrom 1000??

Going to test ride one this afternoon when I get off work. Is it OK to post my impression of the bike in between all the bullshit? Where's a MOD when you need one?

Old 03-21-2014, 01:25 PM   #1738
cory1848
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stained View Post
To show that I have a bit of a sense of humor:

So Cory, what you've given us is your definition of an Adventure Motorcycle. Excellent. That you feel the new 2014 Vee is not an adventure motorcycle is fine. I looked for a definition of an "Adventure Bike" and had a hard time finding one, finally I found this on WikiPedia:

You can read the citations for the quotes here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_(motorcycle)

So, I think you're right. A Harley Bagger is not a dual sport. Is it by definition an Adventure Bike? No. Did people like the Forwoods, or rtwDoug make a Harley an Adventure Bike? They sure did.

But back to the new Vee.

Have I ridden one? Not at all. Do I want to? For sure!

Will the new Vee be able to go where your car can't, with some minimal modifications? (ie Bash Plate) Sure! I mean, I drive a Jetta - its low to the ground and I'd hesitate to take it down any of the Fire Roads in this area.

Will it be able to do so, carrying luggage? Can't see why not.

But what I'm saying to you is that you have to be careful when you define "off road" for an Adventure Bike.

All that being said, is the new Vee the perfect platform for an ADV Machine? Probably not - I see the lower exhaust as a drawback for water crossings, given the places I took my '07. However, I think that for a Gravel Road, Snowmobile Trail, Off the beaten path machine - it should fill the market quite nicely.

I honestly don't know what type of terrain you're riding in - but anything more than a gravel road, smooth trail, I'm not taking my F800 and my friends aren't taking their V-Stroms. We're going on more dirt worthy dual sport machines.
You have still completely missed the points I was making. Ride one and maybe you will understand. I have nothing against the Vees. In fact I like them. The pre 14 Vees that is. In my opinion Suzuki took the 14 Vee into more of a sport tourer direction design wise but still marketed it as the Real World adventure bike. That was my gripe and disappointment with it, I expected more. Personally, I wouldn't take the new vee even on fireroads in its stock form. Think it will need more than a bash plate. Seems to fragile, too low to the ground, and just not designed for it. I am sure it will make a great road bike, I was just looking for more.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:56 PM   #1739
push
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Deuce 👌. What is your impression of the test ride?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2014, 07:53 PM   #1740
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by push View Post
Deuce 👌. What is your impression of the test ride
I really liked the bike. Sort of like a 650 on steroids. Very smooth engine (only had 1 km on it), easy and slick gearbox (typical Suzuki) and great suspension. The stock exhaust was quite nice too. Throaty but subtle. You can hear some gear noise at idle but it is not annoying at all. Reminded me of my pre-2002 Honda VFR800.

Being a new bike fresh out of the crate I had to take it easy to scrub in the tires. Plus I had the Missus on the back. Still a fun ride on the local twisties and a short highway run. Slow speed throttle response was great. No stumbling or jerkiness at low speed. Really liked the adjustable windshield too.

Previously had a couple GS's, KTM 950/990 and too many others to list. I would have no qualms about buying this bike. It will do 90% of what those other bikes can do and is cheaper and most likely more reliable for the long term owner.

PS: Could all you Adventure scholars take your debate somewhere else. We're here to talk about bikes.