User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #1
maxpower220 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
cb500x or versys or g650gs

It's time to purchase a new bike. Mostly commute to work, maybe 2 trackers a year, and joy riding. I want a hyperstrada, but can't justify the price while I am building a home.
I have tested the bmw, but don't really care for the thumpers and not a good trackday tool. I liked the versys except it's ugly as sin. I like the looks of the cb500x, but haven't ridden it. I'm concerned about the power.
Not interested in the vstrom, great bike but not for me.

How does the power of the cb500x compare to the single bmw?

Thanks.
maxpower220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:38 PM   #2
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,483
It's a bit less responsive at lower RPMs, a bit more spirited at higher RPMs. Just as you would think regarding a thumper vs twin.

The CB5X shifts a lot nicer than the BMW.

The CB5X obviously has less power than the Versys but the 5X is a nicer bike to ride. I really suggest you go sit on them. Better yet if you can arrange a demo/test ride.
ATC350X
550MXC
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:21 PM   #3
urbanXJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,841
The versys is a blast on the track.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:07 PM   #4
cls
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
I would not go Beemer. Otherwise, pick your priorities. I have a Versys and a 500X. Both are great for what they are. Match it to what you want.

X: lighter, smoother, crisper, more refined, better economy, and physically smaller.

V: Stronger, lower revs at speed, roomier, more stable feeling (but not as flickable), and better wind protection (marginally).

The X is a little lighter and less expensive, as well.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:31 PM   #5
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,730
I'm a huge admirer of the CB500X, but occasionally I get a case of the moreCCitis; a local Honda dealer took in a F650GS twin, and I was in lust:

The BMW had ABS, heated grips, gear indicator, huge windshield, etc.

I rode the X over there to discuss a possible trade, jumped off the X right onto the GS. The BMW is very nice, torquey, very well planted on the highway on a very windy day, but the X is so much quicker around town and does great on the highway as well... I came home with the Honda.

The Ride for Trevor:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=941454
Old 03-19-2014, 07:24 PM   #6
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,898
I came off a Yamaha FZ-1 to the CB500X, yes the X has less power but I'm going to sell teh FZ because the X is all but perfect. Never been on a BMW so i cant compare.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:25 AM   #7
cls
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post
the X is all but perfect.
Yeow. I like my X, but I won't go that far. Good for you.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:28 AM   #8
670ccc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
CB500X. Why? Only this bike is classified as a "Beast" in the proper big bike Beast forum. For a 500 twin to be a Beast is an industry defining achievement. All the bigger Versys or BMWs belong in the other forums because you aren't insecure enough to need to be called a big bike.
670ccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:37 AM   #9
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
Yeow. I like my X, but I won't go that far. Good for you.
Ok let me refrase that. The X does everything I have asked it to with no problems what so ever. The price is great, insurance is farly cheap, great gas millage, its comfortible, carrys two people just fine. Handles really well on pavment and gravel, and it feels super lite, and why I say its almost perfict. The supenssion needs a tuch of adjustment, but for the most part its good, 10 to 15 more hp would be great, does it need it no but it would makeing passing cars more fun. And it needs a splash gard for the rear shock, honestly the bang for the buck you can't beat it in my book.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:58 AM   #10
cls
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post
Ok let me refrase that. The X does everything I have asked it to with no problems what so ever. The price is great, insurance is farly cheap, great gas millage, its comfortible, carrys two people just fine. Handles really well on pavment and gravel, and it feels super lite, and why I say its almost perfict. The supenssion needs a tuch of adjustment, but for the most part its good, 10 to 15 more hp would be great, does it need it no but it would makeing passing cars more fun. And it needs a splash gard for the rear shock, honestly the bang for the buck you can't beat it in my book.
Agreed and that's why I have one. I was just giving you a hard time on your enthusiastic endorsement. I'm a believer, as well, for value, practicality and versatility.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:37 AM   #11
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by 670ccc View Post
CB500X. Why? Only this bike is classified as a "Beast" in the proper big bike Beast forum. For a 500 twin to be a Beast is an industry defining achievement. All the bigger Versys or BMWs belong in the other forums because you aren't insecure enough to need to be called a big bike.
You need to find a new hobby.
Paebr332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:48 AM   #12
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,730
cb500x or versys or g650gs

Quote:

Hey, noob, did you not get enough attention on the CB500x thread? Posted earlier:

It's all relative, noob; I suppose that you have wandered into this thread because you got butt hurt when someone on another thread called your bike "tiny", then, in an effort to assuage your manliness, you put a big bore kit on a 650. When that failed to satisfy the yearning for acceptance from other motorcyclists on "big" bikes, you go trolling... I ride what I want, and sure don't go wading into a thread with 7 posts under my thong. Now go fix me a sammitch...

I'm still waiting on lunch.

The Ride for Trevor:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=941454
Old 03-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #13
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

Oddometer: 1,097
Cb500x

If staying on the tarmac, I'd go with the Honda.

Easy choice for me.

Never ridden any of the bikes, but the CB500X is just perfect for me.

go on youtube and look up Cager on two wheels. He did a good review of the 500X
USA: 77 Day ride report, coming this winter
Northeast trip planning: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003227
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:22 PM   #14
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Still a noob...with an agenda...however uninteresting...

The Versys doesn't do it for me, sorry. Just not interested; a great bike for some, just not for me.
The 650GS (twin, not single) v. CB500X? For me that would come down to the deal.
B02S4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:35 AM   #15
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
I like the Versys in theory, it's the look I can't get past. I've considered going the rat ninja route, because it is a good motor. My short list includes the G650GS SINGLE as well, but I keep finding myself in these 500X threads for some damn reason.......

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote