Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2014, 12:50 AM   #22366
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNewAdventure View Post
Anyone with any good tips, welcome to let me know.
Welcome to the asylum MikeNewAdventure.

I would look seriously at this If I were you...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Transcend...-/190557405930

I'll get back to you later about any other idea's.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:42 AM   #22367
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
~

Hey, Guys!

Please take a look at this link, read it carefully, and then *PLEASE* sign the petition!!!

http://soonerbillz.com/SaveTWS/

Texas World Speedway in College Station, TX is one of the most legendary tracks in all the USA, with many a record set there, and is still the home of WERA motorcycle road racing, SCCA sports car racing, CVAR vintage auto racing, and tons of other motorsports events. It really is worth saving. After all, who needs another housing development? Especially when there are literally thousands upon thousands of clear acreage in the area.

I'm reaching out to all of you out there who love motorsports, whether you've ever been to Texas World Speedway or not. We're already losing enough race tracks all over the country. Please help do all you can to help us save one of the best!

Thank you!

Dallara

~
Done, my in-laws live near there, I have a feeling that the $$$$ will win out as usual. That area is growing like crazy and big chunks of land are just too tempting for the big money boys.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:14 AM   #22368
avc8130
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 885
Mike,

That's a seriously large quantity of kerosene to carry with you. You got a salamander heater mounted on that bike somewhere or something?

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:30 AM   #22369
Juan Valderrama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Hello my name is Mike, I enjoy riding motorcycles, I have been riding since I was 18. I love the out doors, meeting new people, and experiencing new cultures.
Now I'm going to go around the world, on my new Yamaha Super Ténéré. I love to travel, I have been to 11 countries, and lived in 3 of them.
So now is time for me, to see this beautiful world on the back of my motorcycle.
If all goes well, I will start my ADVENTURE in May. So here are some photos of my motorcycle, and I.

This is the things, I have done to get my motorcycle ready for my adventure.
Thank you and looking forward to hearing from you all.

Being honest with you, man you have to be joking. That's a lot of weight! My only two advices could be, one, the old moyorbiker saying: pack it tight, pack it low, and pack it light.

And from my former days as an Alpine climber: less is easier, less is quicker, less is more flexible, so less is more.

Sorry man, is just that you asked. I am a minimalist.

Good luck!

Juan Valderrama
XT1200Z
Broadcasting from Bogotá - Colombia.
Juan Valderrama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:41 AM   #22370
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,470
petition signed
Old 03-21-2014, 06:56 AM   #22371
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Valderrama View Post
Being honest with you, man you have to be joking. That's a lot of weight! My only two advices could be, one, the old moyorbiker saying: pack it tight, pack it low, and pack it light.

And from my former days as an Alpine climber: less is easier, less is quicker, less is more flexible, so less is more.

Sorry man, is just that you asked. I am a minimalist.

Good luck!
Juan Valderrama
XT1200Z
It's okay Mike. No one around here listens to him anyway.

pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:31 AM   #22372
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,274
Quote:
Hello my name is Mike, I enjoy riding motorcycles, I have been riding since I was 18. I love the out doors, meeting new people, and experiencing new cultures.
Now I'm going to go around the world, on my new Yamaha Super Ténéré. I love to travel, I have been to 11 countries, and lived in 3 of them.
So now is time for me, to see this beautiful world on the back of my motorcycle.
If all goes well, I will start my ADVENTURE in May. So here are some photos of my motorcycle, and I.

Thank you and looking forward to hearing from you all.
Stop focusing on the bike.

You will likely lose your wallet &/or passport somewhere. Be ready. Have good photos of all your ID accessible online, as well as a list of credit cards with who to call when they are missing.

Have more money than you think you will need and have it accessible in multiple accounts in case you lose your password, wallet gets lifted, etc.

Assume every password used will be captured at every hotel where you use the wifi or lobby computer. Have a system to change your password every few days if you use unsecured wifi. An easy way is to use a rotating system that incorporates a date and recent place or next destination. For example, today change it to MikeRedondo21Mar, and change it next Weds to MikeTorrance26Mar.

Know how you will continue on when you get hacked. It's still too common.

One word on an essential that you want to buy: MedJet http://medjetassist.com/membership/m...rotection.aspx
You REALLY don't want to stay in Cameroon or much of the world when you impale yourself on a tree branch while sliding off the road.

I was sore for 2 days after riding this damned rented Yammie for a couple of days. As big a pain as this 150cc was physically, it'd do the RTW too.

With respect to the bike that you originally asked about.

As said already, leave as much home as possible. There are very few places any more where you need much more range than what the Tenere can do. Especially with what a single one of those Rotopax cans will get you.

Instead of two Rotopax, take one if you must and a really good filter for gas and water. It's still hard to beat a simple chamois skin for gasoline. It has little weight and can be folded for storage. Go to REI or any camping store for a choice on water purification and use local water water when you can't get it in bottles. But a local version of 7-11 is in every little town any more.

I can't see the need to tanker a gallon or two of water. You can locally buy some 2L water bottles if needed in a hot climate. Or turn a few pocket-Yuan into a hot tea, bottle of water, or beer anywhere in the world.

Those Rotopaxes are a problem on several fronts. First is that they are weighing you down and you will hate them when the road turns to mud or sand. Having two is overkill. And the color should be meaningful. Since you have two blue bottles, which is gas and which is water? Some places have laws about putting gas into red containers only. Saw your photos trying them under the panniers and on the crash bars so don't know which was the current idea. Under the panniers would be bad for a number of reasons, which include leaning into turns.

Do a couple of week long camping trips before May and toss absolutely EVERYTHING that you don't use, including 3/4 of the stuff for the bike. Remember that any Yamaha scooter shop has access to the full line of Yamaha parts. And the scooter shops are absolutely EVERYWHERE.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:34 AM   #22373
Juan Valderrama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
The password and bank advice is sound.

For passwords I use lastpass and Ascendo data vault.

They will be on line everywhere.

Juan Valderrama
XT1200Z
Juan Valderrama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:36 AM   #22374
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Hey Wreck, great information! Could you type a little slower? I'm trying to write all this down.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:35 AM   #22375
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Hello my name is Mike,

Good luck and have a wonderful adventure.

I agree with others, that's a lot of stuff. Leave the bear behind and remove the passenger seat, then move your top box forward. You're cantilevering a lot of weight off the back and even with the thick aluminum plate, it's more likely to crack and break at the bolt holes over time and vibration, if not the rear sub frame itself.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:35 AM   #22376
barefoot
Frustrated Rock Star

Oddometer: 624
Here's question for experienced STen riders from a new one:
Do you feel the need to run an inner tube in your tires? For dirt road use? for off road use? Does anybody use Slime or something like it to mitigate puncture danger?
Old 03-21-2014, 10:41 AM   #22377
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot View Post
Here's question for experienced STen riders from a new one:
Do you feel the need to run an inner tube in your tires? For dirt road use? for off road use? Does anybody use Slime or something like it to mitigate puncture danger?
I carry a spare 18" tube with me. For whatever reason mine bends rims and I've needed
to add a tube to get home.

Since replaced both rims with Woody's Excel set up. We'll see what this season brings.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #22378
Belaflek
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
As of last week Memphis has 13's for 10,999
/edit just a public service announcement

Belaflek screwed with this post 03-21-2014 at 12:54 PM
Belaflek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:59 PM   #22379
barefoot
Frustrated Rock Star

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I carry a spare 18" tube with me. For whatever reason mine bends rims and I've needed
to add a tube to get home.

Since replaced both rims with Woody's Excel set up. We'll see what this season brings.
Thanks for the input, Pluric, but your reputation as a wheel abuser is well established. I'd like to hear from some folks closer to the middle of the bell curve, if possible.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #22380
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Somebody stop me!!!