Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2014, 04:45 AM   #106
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
If the knee pads float, of what value are they in a crash ... floating all over? I am disappointed in my Overland pants for that reason... although the back pad also moves around just a bit in the jacket as well ... and it does get sticky when stopped or at slow speeds. Overall, I still give the Overland combo a thumbs up.

I agree with that. I really tried to like my Overland pants. But the amount of float built into the knees was just crazy.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:48 AM   #107
Dkizerian
Honky Lips

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
I agree with that. I really tried to like my Overland pants. But the amount of float built into the knees was just crazy.
I have a pair of tourmaster overpants, and I think they have a great system for the kneepads. Knee pad pocket is ~4" longer than pads, and has multiple, full-width Velcro strips along the to and bottom. You undo all Velcro, slide pad to where it needs to be, then lock down top and bottom. The pad then has minimal movement possible. Pocket width is also just wide enough so pad doesn't move from side to side. I'd like to see something like this on some higher quality pants.
Dkizerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:12 AM   #108
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
While the Tour Master "float" may be less than the Overland, they still move. I went down one time with my Tour Master pants, and never felt anything other than contact with my hip. When I got home and was taking my gear off, I noticed a ground down area on my knee pad (attached to my knee-not the pocket pad). I grabbed the pants and found the silver dollar sized hole in them. The hole ended up being off to the side of the pants, not where the armor would have been, so the pants twisted on impact. Funny thing was I never knew my knee had even touched, and those are cheap knee pads.

I think it's difficult to make pants that have enough room for you to wear a motocross boot under it, and have them be tight enough to hold built in pads on your knee,, and still give you mobility.
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:19 AM   #109
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
Bingo
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:54 AM   #110
Travex
Lost is found

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd04 View Post
I think it's difficult to make pants that have enough room for you to wear a motocross boot under it, and have them be tight enough to hold built in pads on your knee,, and still give you mobility.

2012 Super Tenere For Sale in "The Flea Market"

Travex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:09 AM   #111
2Stamp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Has anyone tried putting different knee armor in the Overland pants? Are the pockets too big for the D3O? Would something like BMW NP fit better?

I tried on both the Badlands and Overland pants yesterday. 32 seemed right, I had to tighten the side tabs on both a little.
2006 450EXC
2014 Honda Grom (hers)
2Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:49 PM   #112
BCJC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Broke the little chord that tightens the collar from the back. It's a pretty chintzy little thing. Be gentle with it...

Otherwise, the jacket has done well.
BCJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:44 AM   #113
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,046
For those with the Overland pants who wear them as overpants...can you put them on and take them off with your boots on, or are your soles catching really bad? Trying to find out if these are boot friendly or not, can't find any reviews about this particular question.

Free Cash Back for Online Purchases.....One More CashBack Site
Mastery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:09 AM   #114
wandering fool
A Man on a Bike

Oddometer: 84
I wear Sidi Adventure Rains and there is no possibility of fitting them through the Overlands. A feature I sorely miss.
wandering fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:36 AM   #115
Travex
Lost is found

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastery View Post
For those with the Overland pants who wear them as overpants...can you put them on and take them off with your boots on, or are your soles catching really bad? Trying to find out if these are boot friendly or not, can't find any reviews about this particular question.
That depends entirely on the boot and the size of it. Donning your boots before your pants typically results in decreased pant life. In my case I wouldn't even try it with my Sidi Canyons.

2012 Super Tenere For Sale in "The Flea Market"

Travex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:53 AM   #116
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastery View Post
I wear SG-12's, and no, you're not going to slide them through. I've happily traded full sided zippers for pants that don't leak, don't have 2 very long zippers that snag, and easily fit with my boots. Though I find that I only rarely wear them as overpants. Most of the time I'm on the bike, I'm wearing them as pants.
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:12 AM   #117
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,046
Quote:
I wear SG-12's, and no, you're not going to slide them through. I've happily traded full sided zippers for pants that don't leak, don't have 2 very long zippers that snag, and easily fit with my boots. Though I find that I only rarely wear them as overpants. Most of the time I'm on the bike, I'm wearing them as pants.
Thanks for the feedback. I travel for weeks at a time, so would use them for overpants since they are a little pricey, and only get to a washer once or twice a week at the most when out camping going across the country.

Free Cash Back for Online Purchases.....One More CashBack Site
Mastery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:01 PM   #118
DonL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Too Hot

I purchased an Overland to go with my 2014 BMW 1200GSA and if the temperature is over 25 degrees C no matter how many vents are open it is too hot.

As for the fit, the knees don`t float on me; they are too tight. Extremely uncomfortable. I wish I could have tried one on before purchasing.

I will be replacing it very soon.
DonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:33 PM   #119
aftCG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Agreed. Full length zippers are asking to leak. I knew full well I would be donning and doffing (been waiting months to use that expression) my boots each time. Totally worth it.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:39 AM   #120
GSDonovan
There and back again

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonL View Post
I purchased an Overland to go with my 2014 BMW 1200GSA and if the temperature is over 25 degrees C no matter how many vents are open it is too hot.

As for the fit, the knees don`t float on me; they are too tight. Extremely uncomfortable. I wish I could have tried one on before purchasing.

I will be replacing it very soon.
I just got a size Large Overland suit...I'm 5'11" and typically wear a size 42R or 44R suit and it fits a bit on the large side. The sleeve length and neck diameter is spot on though....the suit is just baggy....made for layers. But I intend to wear this as a Fall-Winter-Early Spring suit, so with layers it will be perfect. I find the suit to be super comfortable and it stays amazingly cool for me (I, too, have a 14 GSAw) in temps around 80 degrees (granted humidity has been fairly low). I also wear a HitAir airbag vest and the vents are still effective even with that on. I typically haven't ridden with pants that have vents, so I find these to be very breezy particularly when standing. The pants for me are a bit baggy without layers underneath. My only "concern" is the armor...the D30 is nice in terms of material, but it does not have the wide coverage that my BMW Summer suit has. For the money, I think its a great Gore-Tex suit.
GSDonovan is offline   Reply With Quote