Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2014, 10:49 AM   #1
Jbone11 11 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
'10-'11 990 ADV owners: Any issues so far??

A (KLR) buddy of mine that I plan on doing a couple of events with was over the other day and we were discussing getting the bikes ready for this upcoming season.

The topic of 'known issues' with our bikes came up and he asked what the 'known issues' were for the 990. He had a few ideas as to what they might be.....as a non-KTM owner , but I said I wasn't sure as I thought most of the issues that are common on the 990 might have been worked out seeing as they were close to the end of the model run.

So I had a read on ktm950.info in the HOW and its seems very few issues are associated with the 2011 990. So far as I can tell there is nothing in the HOW specific to the 2010-2011 range....even the dreaded canistarectomy is not applicable....well so far anyways. About the only things in HOW I see as being a potential issues is the immobilizer (anyone have this happen?) wiring issues (2010), FI filters, and the need to swap out clutch fluid on a more regular basis than most other bikes.

Personally, the only things I think I need to worry about, for lack of a better term, is the immobilizer and FI filter issues. But seeing as Im not going anywhere with sketchy fuel in the forceable future, I feel this might not be worth keeping on the radar.

So, Im wondering, what, if anything, others with '10 and '11 Adventures have experienced? So far, my 2011 990 ABS is running fine. Only bought it last year and I only have 9500km on it....only a 3rd from me.
2003 Honda Hornet 600 (SOLD)
1969 BSA Royal Star - Let the Resurrection Begin!
Jbone11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:58 AM   #2
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,755
Fuel filters usually need changing anywhere from 30-60k kms. And lots of tires

Old 03-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #3
txbear55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
I have a 2011 Dakar. My weekend experience was a trip to Big Bend cut short (probably) by a clogged fuel filter. Bike just turned 10,000 miles. No prior trips to "sketchy" fuel areas.

Closest dealer was about 3 hrs away...no filter in stock anyway. So we towed her back to Dallas.

Yeah, I know, should always carry a spare filter. I had planned on servicing it within a few more thousand miles. Lost that bet!
txbear55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:56 AM   #4
zeropoint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Mine is a 2011 first registered 2012. Sitting at 28000 km, all of them touring miles put on by me with maybe 10 % off road .but not ridden hard because I'm a relative noob at trails. Even with my relative lack of experience ,she has taken me safely up and down mountain tracks like a billy goat.

I've had akras on from new with the akra map and I haven't really seen any jerky throttle response other than when I first got on the thing and was holding on too tight out of sheer terror and my shakes transferred through my right hand to the grip. Off road the rear brake will overheat fairly easily for me in high temps on loose descents. But then again, as a relative novice, my sphincter clench could have something to do with the amount of rear brake I'm using.

She runs pretty hot when moving at less than say 45-50mph in high ambient temperatures (80 F and up) and even with a second fan installed I have got pretty close to the edge with the temp bars if there's not enough air flowing, although they've never actually started flashing. And that's with the ally rad protector which allows more throughput. I suspect my cooling system might not be functioning optimally.

During my ownership I've had the following warranty repairs:

Clutch master cylinder seal - went at 2600km
Replaced front spokes due to rust - with very little wet ride time.
2 x Rear fender replacements - split both times around the right side lower attachment bolt. There doesn't seem to be any evidence of abrasion on the swing arm so still not sure what is causing the fender to fail there.

Other than that and the usual service items the following were the most recent things that needed attention.

Replaced rad cap in case it was contributing to cooling issues - 26000 km
Graphite exhaust rings went at 26000 km
Steering head bearings replaced at 28000 km
Water pump seal replaced as precaution at 28000km (Impeller and shaft still looking great)
Fuel filters replaced at 28000 km. They were black.
Clutch springs replaced at 28000 km
Clutch plates will last another 6000 km

The bike still rides and runs as sweet as when she was first properly run in as far as I'm concerned.