Wash your head and face a lot.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:06 AM   #17
schnutzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry94025 View Post
Hi Guys,

Wondering if others have had good results for allergy relief by wearing a face mask while riding? My allergies have really kicked in this year (SF Bay Area), and I've stayed off my motorcycles for the last three weeks.

I use Claritin daily and last week got a prescription for Flonase. Even with those, I pretty much have to stay indoors until the pollen counts drop...

Harry
lots of good advice about meds and seeing an allergist. i did that many years ago and after a few tries we found the right combo of meds for me, and with the addition of allergy shots, ive not had much of a problem in years. but while trying to figure out just what worked for me, i would use a face mask when doing anything outside like cutting the grass, etc and it worked wonderfully. not sure if you will have the same success while on a motorcycle(or how well one would fit under a helmet) but it seems like it couldn't hurt to try it out.

2012 Suzuki TU250x
schnutzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:25 AM   #18
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,437
The smoke from the wide fires gets pretty bad around here in the summer. The problem with using a surgical or even insutrial particle mask is keeping them in place. I use a full face, MX or street helmet. THey tend to slip off when you put the helmet on.

I use this when trail riding in groups.
http://www.wolfsnout.com/
It does ok for the dust, but not very good for the smoke. Still feel that it is better than nothing. I sometimes wish I could wear my resporator and ride. I have also tried to line the inside with better filter material. It ends up looking like a little wad of tissue in the inside corner of the snout. Maybe if I did a little more modding of the linear/snout.

I always feel an urge to oil the snout, after all it is a foam filter. I am sure it would work better. Maybe jsut get it wet?

Under hard riding it gets a little hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterspirit View Post
Here is 50 surgical style for $8
http://www.uline.com/BL_1079/Uline-D...MAAA&gclsrc=ds
Wash your head and face a lot.
These will jsut slip off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contevita View Post
I've checked out these from: http://respro.com/
These look like they can actually filter stuff out. Not sure how good it will stay in place. Looks like a ski type nephonrean face mask, which I find difficult to keep in place. I have tired various face covering for cold weather riding as well. Maybe mate that with a thin balacalva. I have one of those styled face mask and it stayed put.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:30 PM   #19
LowInSlo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
The other thing is to try the nasal rinse, like Neti Pot. I do that religiously every morning, makes a huge difference.