Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2014, 09:09 AM   #16
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Grooved pavement has always and will always continue to give me fits. Like riding on marbles on the road.
Road crews "improved" one of the nearby hard pack dirt roads by dropping a layer of ~1" river run gravel on it. That was fun to ride on. It's a skinny little road that snakes all around through the woods.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:31 AM   #17
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,152
Pretty similar to riding some loose gravel. Go with the flow, don't fight it. It'll hunt around a bit, but not a problem

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:38 AM   #18
EKinOR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Karoo 3 on the front is MUCH better than than a TKC 80 when it comes to grooved pavement.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:41 AM   #19
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKinOR View Post
Karoo 3 on the front is MUCH better than than a TKC 80 when it comes to grooved pavement.
I always preferred Karoo Ts to TKCs, how knob height on the 3s compared to the Ts, woindering how they might hold studs compared to a T
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:56 AM   #20
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,477
I got bored and didn't read the last few posts, but I do have a question here- if riding on grooved pavement is a challenge, how do you handle things like loose gravel, the slimy mud that packs up in your knobbies and renders them slicks or decomposed granite marbles over hardpack?

Riding off-road presents a wide variance of traction-challenged riding. Grooves are unnerving at first, but ultimately not really anything to even worry about.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:49 PM   #21
Jogitu OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
I got bored and didn't read the last few posts, but I do have a question here- if riding on grooved pavement is a challenge, how do you handle things like loose gravel, the slimy mud that packs up in your knobbies and renders them slicks or decomposed granite marbles over hardpack?

Riding off-road presents a wide variance of traction-challenged riding. Grooves are unnerving at first, but ultimately not really anything to even worry about.

Ain't even close to the same thing as gravel, sand or mud. Plus I'm not doing 80--100 on those surfaces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ride therefore I am
Jogitu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:23 AM   #22
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnystile View Post
The Mackinac Bridge is a nightmare.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Crossed it a few times on a moto, it's always "exciting." I do like being able to look down through the grate to the water below - kind of gives you the feeling of flying. And maybe a little vertigo thrown in for fun.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #23
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,610
This thread bump is timely. I was riding home on the GS from Grand Rapids (to Detroit) last week and thought I'd lost a front wheel bearing or the steering head had gotten loose or who knows what. I am running Tourances. There was this persistent wiggle in the front end. Sounds like it could just have been the pavement grooves, as it's not there now.

FWIW, the size of the tread blocking versus the width of the grooves or size of the openings in an open deck will dominate the tyre behaviour. If the blocks are 2x or greater, there will be little impact. If they are 0.5x or smaller, also less impact. Around 0.67 to 1.5, all hell will break loose. It can be broken down to relatively simple harmonics. Also, think of a car with very wide tyres tramlining on a road with deep tyre tracks in it.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:04 PM   #24
EKinOR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
I always preferred Karoo Ts to TKCs, how knob height on the 3s compared to the Ts, woindering how they might hold studs compared to a T
No idea, I've never seen a Karoo T in person.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:03 PM   #25
Offcenter
On The Road Again!

Oddometer: 236
Waaay back in the '70s, I remember reading in Roger Hull's Road Rider magazine that when California put in the first grooved roads, the first motorcycle to have an accident because of them was a California ChiPs bike.
A bit ironic I thought.

77 Honda CT-90
76 Honda GL-1000
Offcenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:31 PM   #26
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jogitu View Post
So no doubt grooved roads and knobbies make for an interesting if not terrifying experience. I have Karoo T tires on my GSA and find some of the grooved roads move me too much from side to side for me to feel comfortable. This is all new to me as my former road bikes and Michelin Pilots never felt the side to side movement of the dual sport. I figure Anakee 3 tires would be like the pilots but what is your experience with Karoo 3 or other dual sport tires? I have read tire threads but haven't seen this as a primary criteria when considering tires. I am tackling the many off road opportunities available to me in Utah but I want to ride to those places without having to avoid big slabs due to the grooves.
Ride a lot of soft sand. Grooved pavement will then seem like ideal road.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:08 AM   #27
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,610
Grooved roads and high winds... OMG!!!
Old 05-05-2014, 08:08 AM   #28
popscycle
Fahren Away

Oddometer: 1,332
With time and experience, you won't give grooved roads a second thought. Same thing with steel grid on bridges, providing it isn't wet. There is plenty of grip on both. Relax, let the tire wander a bit and enjoy the sensation.

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA
popscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:29 PM   #29
boomhwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Not sure what the deal is here in Idaho. New stretch of freeway was grooved concrete from day one. Now they are resurfacing all concrete bridges and overpassed and the finished product is grooved. Not terrible but takes some getting used to.
boomhwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #30
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
Slow down if needed(it's not a sin or threat to your manhood). Relax stay loose on the grips/controls and let the bike track. Adjust your speed and riding style to the conditions you're currently dealing with.
usgser is online now   Reply With Quote