Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Asia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2014, 09:34 AM   #5776
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,672
They didn't write me back after the shipping estimate. Not easy to communicate with them for some reason? It is a pair of fork legs and aluminum triple clamps, I'd guess under 40 lbs easily. Maybe a 36x12x12 box.

I can almost fly to Jakarta for their shipping price!
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:14 PM   #5777
blek
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
They didn't write me back after the shipping estimate. Not easy to communicate with them for some reason? It is a pair of fork legs and aluminum triple clamps, I'd guess under 40 lbs easily. Maybe a 36x12x12 box.

I can almost fly to Jakarta for their shipping price!
1. Bad English problem. Only their boss can communicate with you, and he rarely check the e-mail.
2. Bad e-mail. Yahoo's spam filter isn't that good. They probably check their e-mail just if somebody called them using phone and said "I e-mailed you yesterday. Check your e-mail!"
3. Did you asked them to change shipment service and receive no reply? If so, maybe they leave your business and don't bother to replying back. Jakarta is a traffic hell during 7am to 9pm. Hordes of motorcycles and cars with an average speed of 5km/h, and maybe, the other shipping service is too far from their place.
blek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:45 PM   #5778
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,672
I guess???

I tried another vendor from the same area yesterday. They just replied they have the forks and will write me back regarding shipping. Not much communication, and Jiester never answered back after our first contact on facebook.

I know a bunch of riders would probably be willing to buy these fork kits, but without good communications it is a tuff sell, if they will even do the sale in the first place.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:51 PM   #5779
Tyyson
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPS View Post
Glad to help Navin, hope you get the parts you need.

I think a DS bike is a good choice ... maybe even an ideal bike for those ride to unknown places in Java.

I never thought about getting a DS bike until after several rides I did last year. The rides were not adventure rides, they were normal long rides, just like the rides I used to do on my Sportster, touring rides.

But last year, the road conditions were really bad in some places that I rode through on my Monster. I rode around the Banten province, and the road condition was horrible. Holes every where. Never seen road condition that bad.Then I rode around West Java province and another ride to southern coast of west Java ... much better than Banten but still quite a lot of holes on the road.

My favorite twisty road in Jonggol was also in the same condition. It's quite frustrating having to slow down to a really slow speed on twisty road due to bad road surface :-)

I also drove to Jogja in a car and the road was not good. The road condition in the province of Jogja was great. Smooth asphalt everywhere. I didn't find bad road there. But leaving Jogja.. the road condition was still great from Jogja to Purworejo ... but after Purworejo and continued to Jakarta , the road went from great to good and then bad.

After those trips I decided to get a DS bike. Even if it's not a DS bike...at least it must have long suspension travel.

So if you plan to ride to other cities then I think DS bike will be more comfortable than road bike.

Thanks for the thoughts. im glad to hear my thought process is correct.
Tyyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:48 PM   #5780
andyhol
volcano rider

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyyson View Post
Mike, I have been lurking for a while and came across your comment. i am going to be moving to Indonesia this summer and I have been searching for what bike i will bring with to be able to get around and handle any kind of terrain. I had just about settled on the BMW HP2 and your comment has me a bit shaken. you wouldnt recommend the HP2 for getting around? you would have preferred something else? please explain.

and i would like to put the question out to the community? do you all think the HP2 is too much bike and too big for Surabaya? HELP!!!
Hey Tyyson, late reply I know.
You'd be mad to bring a hp2 here.
Here's why-Much too everthing.
  • Too heavy to be maneuverable in tight traffic with shitty driving standards. Too wide to slip in between cars in traffic. Surabaya is a massive griddlocked, polluted shithole city. To ride a bike like a hp2 there would be a absolute nightmare.
  • Too heavy on consumables, spares will be a over-priced nightmare or knocked together and dangerous.If you need anything other than routine minor servicing (done by yourself) you'll pay big money and still there will be no comeback on work done, if something goes wrong. Even to get decent tyres will be difficult.
  • Too fast, enough power for over taking is a good thing but a litre+ enduro bike here (where 100km/h is considered very quick) will get you into alot of trouble and medical services are not great.
  • Too expensive, no-one leaves their bike out overnight here. At a recent local enduro event 3 ktms were stolen from the back of pick-up in a hotel car-park, whilst being guarded by security. Bottom line if its shiny and expensive and not nailed down, it'll walk.
  • Too heavy off-road, the trails I ride here simply could not be negotiated by any big adv bike. you'll end up getting a smaller enduro anyway if you like riding off-road. Otherwise you'll really miss out.
If i could bring any bike here it would be an XR400. Long range tank, bigger pegs and decent bars so it's comfy. Use throw over lugguage and if you can buy secondhand body work to keep it looking undesirable. Is got more than enough power for Indo. You'll be able to get it serviced, be able to get parts easy enough and I'm sure it'll stand up to indo roads conditions better than the hp2. On the trails it will be just perfect. In fact if you bring one and want to leave it here I'll buy it from you, the hp2 no thanks.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:10 PM   #5781
spacekadet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Further to the discussion of taking big ADV bikes to Indonesia - I've done it twice, and I agree it's not a good idea.

Only reason I took one on the second trip was because it was two-up self-supported for 5 weeks, so needed to carry a lot of weight.

My first trip was on an F650 Dakar - way too big and heavy. After that trip I bought a DT230 two-stroke to prep for my future rides.

About using a BMW: outside of the cities, you can only get 87 RON fuel. The sticker on a GS1200 says "98 RON recommended, 95 RON can also be used". I recommend checking with BMW tech support about using 87 RON. The answer will probably include mention of "holes in the pistons".

The KLX 250 is reasonably well supported in Indonesia, so you could get parts and expert mechanics in most places. However, with compression ratio of 12:1, I don't know how it would cope with 87 RON.

I chose the DT230 because if has more than 2x the power of a KLX and a compression ratio of 7:1, which could probably run kerosene if I had to.
spacekadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #5782
Sparqq
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
On the twinspark F650GS Dakar it is possible to run on RON91
Sparqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:11 AM   #5783
Midianhuzzky
SABOT!

Oddometer: 5
Salam Kenal

haloo semua rekan2 indonesia, akhirnya bisa bergabung kembali di forum ini walaupun dengan ID baru hehehe..anyway, salam kenal utk semuanya, saya Ivan Hariprabowo, domisili di Bogor, Jawa Barat :)

---"Take Nothing But Pictures, Leave Nothing But Footprints, Kill Nothing But Times"---
Midianhuzzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:27 PM   #5784
Tyyson
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Andy,

damn it....i havent been back to this string in a little while and i am just seeing your reply. thanks for the great info but i pulled the trigger on the HP2 last week. she is sitting downstairs waiting for a chance to ride as we speak. your points about size and everything are definitely being taken under advisement. too late to buy something else but i will either have to find a way to make the HP2 work or plan on hanging up my helmet for while i am out there.

the point you made about the bike walking is definitely something to consider as well. i will have to make sure that i dont end up on that list. i have already had one bike stolen in my lifetime....i have no intention of repeating the experience.

thanks again for the info. hopefully i will be able to link up with some of you guys once i get out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhol View Post
Hey Tyyson, late reply I know.
You'd be mad to bring a hp2 here.
Here's why-Much too everthing.
  • Too heavy to be maneuverable in tight traffic with shitty driving standards. Too wide to slip in between cars in traffic. Surabaya is a massive griddlocked, polluted shithole city. To ride a bike like a hp2 there would be a absolute nightmare.
  • Too heavy on consumables, spares will be a over-priced nightmare or knocked together and dangerous.If you need anything other than routine minor servicing (done by yourself) you'll pay big money and still there will be no comeback on work done, if something goes wrong. Even to get decent tyres will be difficult.
  • Too fast, enough power for over taking is a good thing but a litre+ enduro bike here (where 100km/h is considered very quick) will get you into alot of trouble and medical services are not great.
  • Too expensive, no-one leaves their bike out overnight here. At a recent local enduro event 3 ktms were stolen from the back of pick-up in a hotel car-park, whilst being guarded by security. Bottom line if its shiny and expensive and not nailed down, it'll walk.
  • Too heavy off-road, the trails I ride here simply could not be negotiated by any big adv bike. you'll end up getting a smaller enduro anyway if you like riding off-road. Otherwise you'll really miss out.
If i could bring any bike here it would be an XR400. Long range tank, bigger pegs and decent bars so it's comfy. Use throw over lugguage and if you can buy secondhand body work to keep it looking undesirable. Is got more than enough power for Indo. You'll be able to get it serviced, be able to get parts easy enough and I'm sure it'll stand up to indo roads conditions better than the hp2. On the trails it will be just perfect. In fact if you bring one and want to leave it here I'll buy it from you, the hp2 no thanks.
Tyyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:34 AM   #5785
bishop-getlost
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midianhuzzky View Post
haloo semua rekan2 indonesia, akhirnya bisa bergabung kembali di forum ini walaupun dengan ID baru hehehe..anyway, salam kenal utk semuanya, saya Ivan Hariprabowo, domisili di Bogor, Jawa Barat :)

salam kenal kembali, kak
Old 03-21-2014, 08:00 PM   #5786
andyhol
volcano rider

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Andy,

damn it....i havent been back to this string in a little while and i am just seeing your reply. thanks for the great info but i pulled the trigger on the HP2 last week. she is sitting downstairs waiting for a chance to ride as we speak. your points about size and everything are definitely being taken under advisement. too late to buy something else but i will either have to find a way to make the HP2 work or plan on hanging up my helmet for while i am out there.

the point you made about the bike walking is definitely something to consider as well. i will have to make sure that i dont end up on that list. i have already had one bike stolen in my lifetime....i have no intention of repeating the experience.

thanks again for the info. hopefully i will be able to link up with some of you guys once i get out there.
Hey Tyyson,
it's your money mate. If you find your way near Jogjakarta give me a shout. loads of nice riding around here.
bring everyday service items with your bike in the crate, tyres are not a bad idea either.

Ride steady
Old 03-21-2014, 08:31 PM   #5787
Midianhuzzky
SABOT!

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop-getlost View Post
salam kenal kembali, kak
iyuh!...ada dikau juga disini -,-

---"Take Nothing But Pictures, Leave Nothing But Footprints, Kill Nothing But Times"---
Midianhuzzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:26 AM   #5788
olionel
Enthusiastic Member

Oddometer: 28
Hello folks;

I got a very little used TKC front tyre given in Thailand for my Africa Twin and have done quite a few miles on it since and it is wearing pretty fast. I am currently in Malaysia and will be crossing to Sumatra soon. It won't last all the way through Indonesia but I think Sumatra should be do-able. Do you know if it's possible to get 90/90-21 tyre in Indonesia (preferably Java)? I don't really fancy going into Jakarta though, but will do if I have to. And read that Bandung might be a good place for big bike bits but no 100% info on tyres etc.

I found a couple of Indonesian tyre manufacturers which seem to have nice dual-purpose looking tread patterns but I don't think they do 90/90-21. Any help or advice will be much appreciated.. or I might just get a new front in Penang before sending the bike over to Medan but I don't like being wasteful

Thanks very much in advance and might bump into some of you ;)
Oli

olionel screwed with this post 03-25-2014 at 01:32 AM
olionel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:12 PM   #5789
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Andy,

Hi Tyyson, I thought you're gonna buy your bike here and not bring one from home?

Andy has some good points there, but I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. Here's why:

Once you're here, give yourself some time to adapt to the traffic condition here and hone your riding skill to the traffic condition. I'd say in about a month you'll get used to the traffic, provided you ride most of the time.

However, if you only ride on weekends than you will need more time to adapt, or maybe you'll never get used to the traffic here. On weekends traffic is usually not busy.
I have friends here who only ride their bikes on weekends. They told me they will never ride their bike for commuting cause the traffic is horrible. Well, horrible traffic is the reason I commute on my big bike everyday for the past 12 years.

Your bike may be wide, but I don't see that as a problem. My TE630 has a wide handlebar, but the handlebar is higher than most car side mirrors, so I never have any problem lane-splitting or filtering between cars in heavy traffic. Never worry about ticking cars mirror when I ride my TE 630. OTOH, while my Duc monster has narrow handlebar, its low position makes me extra careful not to tick cars mirrors when filtering through traffic.

I don't have HP2, but I looked at the spec and it's about 186 kg dry. That's more or less similar to the weigh of my Sportster which is also top heavy. I commute on my Sportster for 10 years and never had any problem manuvering it in the traffic. So IMO you will also get used to the weight of your bike and the traffic condition here that after a while it won't be a problem for you.

As for bike security... I always believe that big bikes are less attractive to thieves here. Why? Thieves are looking for stuffs, and stealing stuffs, that they can sell quickly. Selling big bikes are not as easy as selling stolen scooters for instance. The market for big bikes are not that big here. Most of the owners know each other here.

The quickest way to make money would be stealing and then dismantle the bike and sell the parts. But then again, the market for big bike is not big here. Most big bike owners here don't work on their bike themselves. They bring the bike to the dealership and I think it's unlikely that the dealership would use or sell parts from stolen bikes.

Things maybe different for offroad bikes, unplated offroad bikes, but I don't know anything about that segment of the market, so i can't say anything.

Having said all that, I didn't in anyway imply that there were no big bikes theft here. There were several bike thefts in the past, but most of them were later found, because most owners know each other.

Just use common sense when parking your bike. I always lock my bike, park it in a place where it's visible to many people, if the parking lot has a guard or employee watching the lot, I always approcah them and ask them "please watch my bike". I never leave my helmet or my jacket on the bike, I always carry them with me and I insured my bike. So just use common sense.

Good luck, and don't worry.
BobPS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:17 PM   #5790
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midianhuzzky View Post

Salam kenal juga bung Ivan. Kapan-kapan kalo ke daerah Bogor saya mampir ya ... Biasanya cuma lewat aja kalo dalam perjalanan ke arah puncak atau sukabumi. Dulu sekali, lumayan kerap mampir ke Bogor, biasanya kalau teman2 MBC Bogor ngadain acara baksos atau sejenisnya, saya dan teman2 dari Jakarta ikut meramaikan.
BobPS is online now   Reply With Quote